new to ultron? here are some tips that might help

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I don't think ultron has been run in a while, so newer players may not know quite what to expect. Here are some tips, but note that they may not apply perfectly given the recent changes announced by demi, and the more sugnifcant changes to the game in the year+ since this event was last run. I will try to update if any of this advice turns out to be dead wrong, or if new strategies emerge.

Remeber that ultron is a puzzle-y boss, and it's essential to prevent his bomb tiles from dropping to the bottom of the board, especially in the higher rounds.

I will assume that people are more familiar with ultron sentries from ddq, but the general rule of thumb is to target gunners (blue) first, then swarmers (green), then flyers(that's what they are called, I think)(yellow).

As for boss ultron himself:

(1) Board control is very important. Otherwise mediocre characters with strong board control moves become much better when you need to destroy those bombs.

So characters like gsbw (3 active, targeted tile destruction powers), and IW (locking bombs and then blowing them up is fun), and qs (cheap tile manipulation) are all surprisingly effective. For low level rosters, 1* Hawkeye is a great option. He will probably be too squishy in later rounds, but you can try to tank for him.

(2) flaptain kicks **** against bosses. If you can get 5+ protect tiles on the board he starts doing significant damage. Hopefully he is boosted; if so, he can drop 60k bosses in 1 or 2 strikes. His red nuke is more efficient than imhb of even cyclops for high health targets.

(3) now that ultron makes matches himself passives that trigger on damage received should be a good tactic (assuming he has 5* match damage).

(4) as always, lazy cap is a pve beast. he was typically a bit slow against higher levels of ultron. But rejoice! Now we can use im40 to solve that problem and start hucking shields asap.

(5) random boardshake is less powerful than is normally the case, because there is a significant risk that it will detonate it lower bombs. So i would be careful if using characters like switch, if, xfw, iceman, 3* cyclops, etc. even IM46 and Phoenix might be risky in rounds 7 or 8.

(6) 3* punisher is another good character against bosses. Don't risk his green against ultron if there are lots of bombs on the board, but his red can drop any boss regardless of health (as long as they are below the health threshold). With against 60k health bosses, that's a very good deal. And it's a great teamup!

(7) any tank (preferrably with true healing) + iron fist + Ghost rider. If makes black, tank tanks, GR black drops the hammer when enough damage has been stored up. This strategy worked well in civil war, and for GRs few node against galactus. I don't know if it will be fast enough for ultron in rounds 7 and 8, but I will list it here for now and update when the event goes live.

Edits after event goes live:

1) Ultron's bombs don't seem to be aoe anymore (at least through round 4). That makes board shuffle a bit less suicidal
(but will still require careful use of sacrificial characters at higher rounds), and . . .

2) that's good because ultron making matches is a very significant increase in the rate of bomb drop. In earlier runs, the player could rely on 6-8 rounds to harvest ap. Now the first bombs may start going off much earlier if ultron makes some bad matches. Not looking forward to rounds 7 and 8.

3) round 6 has 49k health and 15.3k bomb damage. Round 7 has 73k health and 23k bomb damage. If you are willing to eat the healthpacks (or have OML to tank), GR is very effective: his black can one shot ultron after 1 or 2 bombs go off.