Why So Big?

Linkster79
Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Like most people my device had started to get a little low on a valuable internal storage so I went on a trimming the fat exercise, scrolling through the installed apps I couldn't help but do a double take at the size of the MPQ file. 409mb! Seriously this app requires nearly half a gig? Just why is this app nearly 10x the size of other match 3 games? Disney Tsum Tsum is only 79mb and that has nearly as many characters, even Pokemon TGC online is only 680kb and I have loads of custom decks.

Yes I know I can transfer the app to my SD card but what about the folks on devices that do not have this option?

Seeing as I haven't play MPQ for over a month, and it doesn't look like there are any new features coming soon that will scream "Play me" I soon uninstalled.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The app itself is 96 MB, documents and data 360 MB.
    Try a fresh install, it might shrink it down to 100 MB again.
    Works for Future Fight.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    MPQ is probably one of the most storage-inefficient games I've come across. For example, animations for the player side is the same as the animation on the CPU side but flipped. However, instead of storing 1 set of images for each character and using software to flip it, they obviously store 2 sets of images on your phone memory - one for the player side and one for the CPU side. This is pretty clear when a new character gets released. You can see that the game loads the image from the server for the left and right sides separately.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ is probably one of the most storage-inefficient games I've come across. For example, animations for the player side is the same as the animation on the CPU side but flipped. However, instead of storing 1 set of images for each character and using software to flip it, they obviously store 2 sets of images on your phone memory - one for the player side and one for the CPU side. This is pretty clear when a new character gets released. You can see that the game loads the image from the server for the left and right sides separately.

I think it used to just flip them. I remember Bagman's Kick Me sign was backwards for the longest time on the AI side.
    Then we got more characters like Patch and Ragnarok and such that are asymmetrical. As well as certain moves that don't work when flipped like Spider Gwen on the drums.

I guss they just got in the practise of having animations for two sides rather than just naturally flipping the same image and it stuck.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The way I'd heard it was the devs force our devices to store a ton of stuff including upcoming characters so people used to date mine for spoilers and they got SUPER pissy about it. The responce was then don't stick this stuff on our devices and they sandboxed and permabanned the most vocal of them including raisinbman. Spoilers can still be found because they still force us to download all this info.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    I guess it's less expensive in cpu cycles to have 2 different images rather than applying a mirror transform.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    I came into this thread expecting something different...

Oh wait, wrong forums.
  • icon_e_sad.gif Yes like how to actually transfer it. Do the developers know??????? Is it going to change??????
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Please start a new thread if you would like to talk about a topic that was brought up a while ago in the past. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.