I don't generally like to gripe about little stuff, but. . .

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
"You're welcome" for 1 token to a 41 item vault full of mostly 2* covers and 500 iso rewards. And buying the other 40 pulls costs about $30 US.

I am supposed to be thankful for the opportunity to buy more stuff from mpq at a slightly lower price? And no LT, only 2 4* covers and one of them is star-lord?! Sort of insulting, really.

How about: "Thanks for supporting out game! We hope you enjoy this special comicon vault!"?

Players are already asked to provide a rather large quantity of money to play this game; maybe theybshouldnt also be asked to provide the gratitude for special events.

(note, i generally don't get irritated by stuff like this. But that message seems pretty tone deaf and it got to me today. This is not a personal attack on the devs, just another reminder that small tonal issues can add up over time, and the lack of interest in fostering player good will in this game is starting to show).

Comments

• Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    "You're welcome" is a gag from the movie posters from the first Guardians movie.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    The vault is a joke. Other than the iso, nothing is "awesome" about this vault. I don't even see the one free token you're talking about.
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2016
    Starsaber wrote:
    "You're welcome" is a gag from the movie posters from the first Guardians movie.

Damn! I am clearly an irritable ****!

Still a craopy vault, but I should take my own advice and not sweat the little stuff.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Less of a vault, more of a trash can.
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    They should put a cho in for good measure.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    http://imgur.com/vy2oqGE - the poster in question.

vy2oqGE.jpg
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    dider152 wrote:
    Other than the iso, nothing is "awesome" about this vault.
    You are right, but I still think the name is a cool reference:
    371-6277_PI_1000025MN?wid=493&ht=538
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing is, the GOTG movie actually was awesome. Star-Lord's music mix wasn't too shabby, either.

This vault, though? Yeah, piles of trash. I pulled a pair of 2*.

I just re-upped my <$5 monthly subscription to Future Fight. MPQ's never getting another dime from me again unless Demiurge stops being such ferocious tightwads with the game's reward structure for starters.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    As has already been said, it's a strictly Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 themed vault, since that was their main movie at Comic-Con this year. They could have done better with the non GOTG-themed rewards (how about something like 2CP instead of a few of those 2* covers), but otherwise I understand it and don't think it's particularly awful.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Between this awesome vault and the totally awesome Hulk, I'm wondering if I didn't learn the correct meaning of the word awesome.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Surely this vault is a delayed April Fools joke?!?!

Or maybe it is 1st April in an alternate universe...

1 token = 2* Magneto

Seriously!
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Well I guess was lucky with 2500 iso8 reward
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

Players are already asked to provide a rather large quantity of money to play this game;.l

Ehhh, really??? I haven't put any money in the game in well over 2 years and hit 1350 to upwards of 1700 in every season PvP during that timeframe. Also finish t10 in any pve that I want to. A number of players in my alliance are the same.

Now time required to hit these marks can be high but $$$....nah.
  • auralgami
    auralgami Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    tiomono wrote:
    I do not think I have seen such an entitled bunch of whiny people in a long time.

I think you are missing the point.

This is part of a longer conversation about stingy rewards, lackluster events and event rewards, and general drought of everything, compounded with RNG fatigue.

I saw the message for the Comicon vault. I was excited. Then I went to the vault. One Starlord, one Drax, three Gamoras, three R&G, and lots of 2* garbage. Okay. Maybe I'll luck out.

What did I get? 2* MNMags. Yippee.

On what planet should I be excited or even thankful about this? A 2* cover is practically a throwaway reward at this point, worth a measly 250 iso. It's a Heroic token, which is a reward only in the sense that it's "Hey, at least you know it's not 100 iso!"

The problem is not that I got a free champ level for my MNMags. It's that the possibility of even a lame 4* like Starlord, or a champ level for R&G -- things I could actually use -- is drowned in an overwhelming odds of useless ****.

This vault is a promotion. It is there to celebrate Comicon, to generate goodwill, and make a little excitement. Well, it failed on those last two for me. If that's entitlement, I'm entitled.

The bigger problem -- for the game and for D3 -- is that I'm just exhausted. Exhausted of getting my hopes up and getting ****. Exhausted from working hard for paltry rewards. The promise of possibility is what keeps us coming back, and I have been mired in the 3->4* transition at a stultifyingly slow pace. RNGesus hates me, and vaults are becoming a source of depression more often than a source of anything that helps me out.

This comes on the heels of the Ultron vault. I earned 7 tokens and bought 3 more. What did I get? 9 2* garbage and 1 3* Mags.

Again, yippee. At least Magneto loves me.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually the 2* were a very nice bonus for people who cycling 2* champs. I recycled 2 champions based off the covers. The rest of GOTG team was champed so I got 2 lts and 4cp from groot, gamora, and starlord based on where they were in the cycle.

This is actually something I like about these two vaults.

In the peggy vault, the captain america focus ensured that everyone who had thematically champed 2*/3*/4* cap/flap i.e. the caps got a nice boost to that theme.

This vault was GoTG focused and if you had that team champed, you were great shape for pushing the entire team 3 to 4 cover levels.

I would not be surprised in the next 2 years we see the following special vaults.

Wolvie vault
    Avengers vault
    X men vault
    all new xmen vault with teen focus
    Fantastic four vault
    Spider familty vault.

These offers are really geared to people who are leveling based on team affiliations. Don't laugh, alot of people mentally organize by those teams affiliations. i personally keep Sue, Mr. F., Thing at the same level 185, same with gwen and mm.

I probably won't buy a Fanstatic - Four vault, but depending on where my spider family is, I would buy a spider vault

Edit: Now that I think about it. i guarantee you we get a thor vault for Ragnorak. and a Defenders vault when the netflix cross over comes.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx wrote:

Players are already asked to provide a rather large quantity of money to play this game;.l

Ehhh, really??? I haven't put any money in the game in well over 2 years and hit 1350 to upwards of 1700 in every season PvP during that timeframe. Also finish t10 in any pve that I want to. A number of players in my alliance are the same.

The monetization is this game is quite aggressive. Players ARE asked to spend a lot of money. Roster slots cost between $5-10 each and a new character,comes out every week. Enough cp to buy a single 4* cover requires $100 cash + 16 friends with $100 each. Half of an event vault costs about $50 (if you spend $100). Those prices are all very high, and I haven't even mentioned iso or 5*s!

As you point out, players can invest a lot of time to avoid some or all monetary costs. But the fact remains that demi asks (as in "invites" but does not require) players to spend an awful lot of money on this game.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    auralgami wrote:
    tiomono wrote:
    I do not think I have seen such an entitled bunch of whiny people in a long time.

I think you are missing the point.

This is part of a longer conversation about stingy rewards, lackluster events and event rewards, and general drought of everything, compounded with RNG fatigue.

I saw the message for the Comicon vault. I was excited. Then I went to the vault. One Starlord, one Drax, three Gamoras, three R&G, and lots of 2* garbage. Okay. Maybe I'll luck out.

What did I get? 2* MNMags. Yippee.

On what planet should I be excited or even thankful about this? A 2* cover is practically a throwaway reward at this point, worth a measly 250 iso. It's a Heroic token, which is a reward only in the sense that it's "Hey, at least you know it's not 100 iso!"

The problem is not that I got a free champ level for my MNMags. It's that the possibility of even a lame 4* like Starlord, or a champ level for R&G -- things I could actually use -- is drowned in an overwhelming odds of useless ****.

This vault is a promotion. It is there to celebrate Comicon, to generate goodwill, and make a little excitement. Well, it failed on those last two for me. If that's entitlement, I'm entitled.

The bigger problem -- for the game and for D3 -- is that I'm just exhausted. Exhausted of getting my hopes up and getting ****. Exhausted from working hard for paltry rewards. The promise of possibility is what keeps us coming back, and I have been mired in the 3->4* transition at a stultifyingly slow pace. RNGesus hates me, and vaults are becoming a source of depression more often than a source of anything that helps me out.

This comes on the heels of the Ultron vault. I earned 7 tokens and bought 3 more. What did I get? 9 2* garbage and 1 3* Mags.

I honestly do not think I am missing the point.

New character releases come at a blistering pace, the need for iso to level everyone is not there, rng continues to frustrate people.

How do they respond when given a free item? They gripe. How is that not entitled?
    It's ridiculous.

Literally the only way the devs could make that kind of player happy is to set up some system where every time they release a new character they gave them a free roster slot, an older character cover maxed, and the iso to level them for free.

And I guarantee you there will still be Jerks that complain they just got given Cho, star lord, Mr f, or invisible woman.
  • tiomono
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

The monetization is this game is quite aggressive. Players ARE asked to spend a lot of money. Roster slots cost between $5-10 each and a new character,comes out every week. Enough cp to buy a single 4* cover requires $100 cash + 16 friends with $100 each. Half of an event vault costs about $50 (if you spend $100). Those prices are all very high, and I haven't even mentioned iso or 5*s!

As you point out, players can invest a lot of time to avoid some or all monetary costs. But the fact remains that demi asks (as in "invites" but does not require) players to spend an awful lot of money on this game.

So time can avoid some or all costs? Which is it? The fact remains that players who pay tons of money get tons of stuff now. Players that pay no money get stuff slower.

That does not change the fact that people are complaining about being given a free item.

And I'm pretty sure if I keep talking like this someone would chime in and say demi is paying me off or something. (Ha ha we all know that's not possible)

I am in the 4 star transition. I only have 4 3*'s left to champ. And not a single 4 that can go beyond level 200. Rng seems to love giving me 4's I neither want or need. Am I frustrated? Yes. Do I complain when I get given something for free? No.

EDIT: I spoke incorrectly. I have invisible woman able to go to lvl 229.
  • tiomono
    auralgami wrote:

If a free to play game leaves you exhausted you are maybe expecting too much from it. I'm not saying you do not like the game or anything. Just maybe adjust your view of it.

Games are ideally in our lives to help us unwind or spend time with people we like doing something together. If they are a source of exhaustion or frustration then maybe it's time to take a break, find a new game, or adjust your expectations for this one.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Vhailorx wrote:

Many people value time OVER money, so if y'all are playing the game as if it's a part time job, what are you REALLY saying?

This discussion has been closed.