Why do YOU think they allowed Ultron to make matches?

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I was originally going to make this a poll, but I could only think of negative excuses, so I decided to just go the open forum approach.

What reasoning, be it bad OR good, can y'all come up with, as to why they would allow Ultron to be able to move tiles now? Also, with the event almost over, discuss how this buff to Ultron has effected your specific boss fight experience. And whether you think the change was necessary. Etc etc etc.

icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    to make it more random is all i can guess. i found he matched as many bombs away as he moved toward the bottom, so really a net nothing.

i was thinking he was going to have absurd match damage like tony or cap in cw. turns out not so much. they still cant get the scaling on the sub nodes right. zero to one hundred in one flip is just stupid and really sucks the life out of the event. can no one understand graduated scaling is preferred by everyone, even if it starts a little higher.

really really glad we were able to finish with so much time left. the break will be nice even if its just a day.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Idk, but it's been easier for the most part for me since he usually matches away his bombs, so I'm not complaining...yet lol
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hard to say.

I agree with thanos that it was more or less a neutral change from a bomb perspective. Sometimes he helped. Sometimes he hurt.

I also think his match damage was a bit better than in civil war. High enough to really hurt, but not quite so high as to destroy anything below level 300 in just a handful of rounds.

In the end, all the change really did was bring ultron in line with other adversaried, and that just makes this this event feel like more of the same. Which is sad.

Scaling on the sub nodes was a clusterfuck. They end way too high, stay trivially weak a bit to long, and jump WAY to much on the second day.

Start then at level 15 or 20 and then have 11 difficulty tiers going up to about 300. To make the math easy start at level 15, and then have 11 tiers of 26 levels each. Players jump to next difficulty tier when they complete 5 sub node matches. So if you grind dilgently, you finish on hard nodes. But you aren't punished for playing at a slower rate (at least not directly punished; it will still lower your maximum possible score.)
  • Figure15
    Figure15 Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Suspect they're paving the way for galactus to also move tiles.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Because they figured we have a unique gameplay mode that is very much a puzzle in a puzzle game but those nasty players have figured out ways to beat it and we can't possibly have a lot of people winning year old 4* covers so lets make it really random and have him move tiles so he's no longer unique and puzzle orientated its just another pve
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    To compensate for not having the Ultron Prime sub-event.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    My guess is that it was because of the IM40 change since the last Ultron event. IM40 + LCap could pretty easily take out all of the bombs against any level Ultron if he wasn't moving the board. But now Ultron can match away or drop the countdowns so they get destroyed. I suspect they don't want 3* teams to consistently defeat Round 7 or 8 Ultrons.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    My theory: They ended up with some massive bug by trying to standardize Ultron w/ the other boss events and that was how they figured out how to fix it.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    IDK, but felt like it made it easier. Less likely for bomb to get stuck in a bad spot. The board keeps moving all the time.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    As others have said, there is probably some combination of tech stability/bug reasons and standardizing the content.
    I agree that him moving tiles does make him feel not so special anymore.

Also, bombs are not team damage anymore. They only hit your front character.
    This is a HUGE benefit to us, as we can manage his damage much better and often choose who will take the hit.
    Not having that Ultron sub fight has been a big help as well.
    These, along with a much more advanced roster personally, have made this event feel very manageable for me.
    Of course, this is is pretty much 100% because I have a Level 452 OML and a usable Charlie's Angles team.

My only complaint is what I've had with every single alliance-based boss event they've done = The MASSIVE jump in levels for the subs. They are much harder and way more time consuming to fight than the boss, even later boss rounds. Mine jumped from like under Level 30 to 300+.
    There's no reason for a rational linear increase in sub nodes levels based on the current round. I mean, the new PVE format does this each time you win a fight, so why not do it for boss events too?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's to make sure we take extra damage. OML is so prevalent now, without Ultron making moves and speeding up bomb drops, you could've let OML eat bombs and still not lose. Seems pretty obvious to me.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Don't have a reason, just a related complaint. If the boss is going to be harder because you compensate for the 5*'s, then at a minimum, the Rd 8 reward should be a 5*.

For lower level alliances, that's the setup with 3* and 4*s.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    emaker27 wrote:
    Don't have a reason, just a related complaint. If the boss is going to be harder because you compensate for the 5*'s, then at a minimum, the Rd 8 reward should be a 5*.
    I would've been happier if I didn't have to beat Ultron about 15 times for zero rewards because we hadn't cleared round 8 yet.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I felt ultron was way way easier than any of the other boss events I've faced (galactus/civil war) and the reasons were as follows:

1.He often matched away bombs during early rounds when I could reliably beat him with hb punch.

2.In later rounds he reliably dropped the bombs to the front so hb could eat the damage and I could drop him with a penance stare.

3.His match damage was not outrageous and more in line with a boosted 4*

4.The scaling didn't seem to bad, certainly better than civil war scaling.

5. During later rounds (when I switched to the stare tactic) having constant board destruction really sped up HIS demise not mine.

I never lost to ultron throughout any of the rounds and cleared every node as often as it was open. Plan ahead and this was a very easy boss battle (so long as you either had 5 cover penance stare or a team up)

My only gripe with this event was that I got fed up of fighting ultron goons but hey...it is an ultron event.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    I felt ultron was way way easier than any of the other boss events I've faced (galactus/civil war) and the reasons were as follows:

1.He often matched away bombs during early rounds when I could reliably beat him with hb punch.

2.In later rounds he reliably dropped the bombs to the front so hb could eat the damage and I could drop him with a penance stare.

5. During later rounds (when I switched to the stare tactic) having constant board destruction really sped up HIS demise not mine.

I never lost to ultron throughout any of the rounds and cleared every node as often as it was open. Plan ahead and this was a very easy boss battle (so long as you either had 5 cover penance stare or a team up)

My only gripe with this event was that I got fed up of fighting ultron goons but hey...it is an ultron event.

The problem is that you used something that not anyone could have, butter cuter strategies always exist at games, here we have winfinity for example, but how many have gr, I don even have 1 cover for this event, and everyone not having him were asking for it or punisher red, I used cap mar, lcap and kk, working great by the way with marv boosted, but she is not a good char and not everyone have her, theres another biuld around that seem working great. You can whale it too.

The point here is, is really challenging or just a coin flip every turn? I lost like 4 times to ultron till now, 2 bad luck with matches near the bottom that droped bombs, 2 more to some unlucky matches, like ultron doind cascades in his last 2 turns to clear my timers and killing my chars, or board shuffle, dam, how you win against that??? How many times that happened, like 6-7 shuffles, only 1 mattered couse it was on round 7, insta kill.

People with good roosters are saying that this is easy, that they rarelly swet and whatever, but at the end, having big pools of hp to suck dmg is tinny kitty, isn't skill or strategy to take dmg on purpuse to use gr and one shot him, I need more skill to gatter enought purple to whale it couse if I get dmg it means dp will jump in front anytime to save the day and screw me, you only go tank, tank, tank -_-
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ulizeus wrote:

The problem is that you used something that not anyone could have, butter cuter strategies always exist at games, here we have winfinity for example, but how many have gr, I don even have 1 cover for this event, and everyone not having him were asking for it or punisher red, I used cap mar, lcap and kk, working great by the way with marv boosted, but she is not a good char and not everyone have her, theres another biuld around that seem working great. You can whale it too.

The point here is, is really challenging or just a coin flip every turn? I lost like 4 times to ultron till now, 2 bad luck with matches near the bottom that droped bombs, 2 more to some unlucky matches, like ultron doind cascades in his last 2 turns to clear my timers and killing my chars, or board shuffle, dam, how you win against that??? How many times that happened, like 6-7 shuffles, only 1 mattered couse it was on round 7, insta kill.

People with good roosters are saying that this is easy, that they rarelly swet and whatever, but at the end, having big pools of hp to suck dmg is tinny kitty, isn't skill or strategy to take dmg on purpuse to use gr and one shot him, I need more skill to gatter enought purple to whale it couse if I get dmg it means dp will jump in front anytime to save the day and screw me, you only go tank, tank, tank -_-

I can understand your perspective and when I first faced galactus (as a 2* transitioner) I felt exactly the same. Rarely lasted longer than a few turns.

I guess what my post and experience highlights is for once the game worked as intended - I got a better roster and found it easier, which is exactly how difficulty curves in games are meant to work. Get better equipment and progress further.

It sucks when you can't beat the later rounds but players under the 4* level should find it close to impossible to beat rounds 7 and 8 of boss fights. I can imagine that the constant board destruction made this boss in particular a nightmare
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ulizeus wrote:

I can understand your perspective and when I first faced galactus (as a 2* transitioner) I felt exactly the same. Rarely lasted longer than a few turns.

I guess what my post and experience highlights is for once the game worked as intended - I got a better roster and found it easier, which is exactly how difficulty curves in games are meant to work. Get better equipment and progress further.

It sucks when you can't beat the later rounds but players under the 4* level should find it close to impossible to beat rounds 7 and 8 of boss fights. I can imagine that the constant board destruction made this boss in particular a nightmare

I'm very much in 3* land with 18 champs and no useable 4*s or 5*s and I found this event to be pretty easy, particularly compared to Civil War. I was able to win in Civil War even in round 8 by using some cheesy tactics (Howard the Duck whittling down Iron Man with match damage, took forever but worked). In this event I didn't even need that, lazyCap, IM40 and GSBW got me through rounds 1-7 and winfinity which I am finally able to run effectively thanks to the Prof X covers we got in round 6-8 took me the rest of the way.

The side nodes on day two were often more of a pest than Ultron was. He did wipe me a few times when the board shuffled but I managed to clear around 80% of my attempts in round 6-8 and 100% before that.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Why do YOU think they allowed Ultron to make matches?
    To burn more health packs.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Ulizeus wrote:

And what I really hate is having tons of chars and that for a 3* you only have 2 options to do ultron and not really enjoy the challenge.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Ulizeus wrote:

And what I really hate is having tons of chars and that for a 3* you only have 2 options to do ultron and not really enjoy the challenge.

Beating a level 300+ boss character with Level 160 characters should be really hard. It was actually a good thing that some the best characters for this were boosted (IM40, GSBW) because without that it would have been much worse.