Boss fights - frequency discussion

veny
veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey, i am sure i am not the only one who loves boss battles - the rewards, the design and the fact that this is propably the only event, when aliance seriously matters.
So, my personal idea would be to have:
- PvE one after another (as it is now)
- PvP one after another (as it is now)
- plus Aliance vs. Boss one after another, simultaneously with PvE

Why?
- More rewards, more ways how to grind every day (now you can efficiently grind for 2-3 hours per day), it makes more sense for me as there are PvE and PvP, but AvB only once per couple of months.

I am sure some will say one AvB after another, simultaneously with PvE would be too time/hero/heal consuming... other will say AvB should be unique, so i made a poll where you can put your opinion in... more general way.
You can use multiple choices if more options are acceptable for you.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a point here, I think you might have done better going with seasons instead of months.

Anyway, I went with twice a month/season. The blessing and curse of boss fights is that you generally need to have an active alliance of 20 to reap the rewards. I happen to have that luxury although I can't say that everyone would want to be in full-force that often. Given the tendency to ramp up the "challenge" (aka grind) when really good rewards are on the line and I reckon it might even burn people out faster than Story.

Of course having something to do actually as an alliance, instead of 20 people just doing their thing under the same banner, is a really nice change of pace. The change in game type would do wonders to break up the monotony of constantly recycled Story events. I wouldn't want the boss fights themselves to become tired, though, so twice a season is enough.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted for once a month but that might be too much. If they run boss events too frequently they will lose some of their novelty.

Definitely don't want them running concurrently with other PVE events. As it is since I inhabit slice 5 I am always healthpack drained that first day anyway. Having them run at the same time as a PVE event is also just more grinding than is fun.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    its like everything in this game. if the rewards are good, its fun. when the rewards suck, its like a job. when the top awards are three scrapped covers, well thats a job. really no reason the top award couldnt have been one banner. one five star wouldnt break the game. im happy for all the rosters that could use the prof x covers and there was some nice cp AND were finishing with 36 hours to spare, but still.

as to the original question, one a month would be a bit much. every two months keeps it fresh and not such a chore. developing rosters get chewed up and spit out in the later rounds and the frustration would really build up if these events were more frequent.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not on the list, any time they would've scheduled a heroic, put a boss battle. Heroics are terrible and will be even worse with the new story mode format, get rid of them
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanos8587 wrote:
    its like everything in this game. if the rewards are good, its fun.

So much this. I -really- like the boss battles when they give out three new 4* covers or one new 5* cover - I'd like to see the boss battles every time if those were the rewards.

But this time (hit progression easily after five refreshes) I'm already looking and thinking - is this getting me more than a regular PVE or less?

I voted two ongoing at the same time - with the stipulation that either the scaling for both PVE and boss has to go WAY down or health packs have to double. Or you can finally just ditch the health-pack mode, let every battle go in at full health, and run LOTS of events at once - allow players to play PVE and/or Boss and/or 4* and less PVP and/or 5* and less PVP.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    I've voiced elsewhere that I think Gauntlet and boss events should alternate months/seasons.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    i think it should be run once a month between seasons with a new 4* release as a prize.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like it once a season as something nice and relaxing to break up grinding pve. With 3 different boss fights in rotation, it wouldn't feel too repetitive (I hope). Too frequent would be stale and put pressure on people who are not so keen on such events to play for the alliance.

Please remove the crit boosts, though. With the feeder nodes being once per refresh and the early rounds going faster, they are a 25%/12.5% chance you get nothing for playing. Why not a simple one reward per node anyway?
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Personally once a month is good, it breaks pve up a bit.

If we don't get a re run of civil war for the DVD/digital release I'll eat my own face
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd welcome any increase (voted 1/month), but would really like the iso/hp production to mimic regular pve production. a small hit is fine, but I made almost no hp and a fraction of the iso of normal pve. I'd LOVE if some new releases (ala. 5* and CW) could be incorporated into bosses.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Boss fights are a nice change of pace, but if you're in a casual alliance, they can be frustrating both for the players without a highly-developed roster (because they get locked out so quickly, and often can't beat anything past the first few rounds) as well as the folks with better rosters (because you can't pick up all that slack). Having three 4* covers as available rewards doesn't mean anything if your alliance always stalls three-quarters through Round 5.

I do have to say, though, that board-moving Ultron was considerably more helpful than I expected him to be.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I said once a month, but I will echo TxMoose's stipulation that more ISO needs to be available.

Honestly, even if it was just Galactus once a month I'd be fine with that. I really like that fight. Now that I've finally seen Ultron it's definitely my least favorite of the 3 (4 if you count CW as two bosses).
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Personally, I would love to see boss battles used regularly for the release of new characters (therefore, twice a month, more or less). The old pve with the "new" formula could still be used for everything else.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Boss fights are fun once in a while to break up the monotony, but I would hate them to run it all the time or concurrently with another event. Boss events are a health pack suck and I don't like the added pressure to play for the alliance.

Also repeat boss events are significantly less fun than the first run.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Once per COUPLE of months is in second place? Uhm......y'all are sooooo confusing.

Also, since when have we EVER had boss battles every few ( 2ish ) months, in the first place?
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'd welcome any increase (voted 1/month), but would really like the iso/hp production to mimic regular pve production. a small hit is fine, but I made almost no hp and a fraction of the iso of normal pve. I'd LOVE if some new releases (ala. 5* and CW) could be incorporated into bosses.

Agreed.

If boss fights became a more regular thing, I'd like to see the rewards increase in later rounds along with the difficulty. That should be the norm for any upscaled difficulty (including personal scaling), but should absolutely be the case for situations where there's a global rampup in difficulty for all players.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I'd like to see a once-a-month non-placement event. This could rotate between bosses, Gauntlet, and more Ant-man/Chulk progression PVEs. It's a break, yet it actually leaves me feeling more engaged with the game because I'm only playing against myself (okay, not with bosses, but it's still collaborative rather than competitive).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see a once-a-month non-placement event. This could rotate between bosses, Gauntlet, and more Ant-man/Chulk progression PVEs. It's a break, yet it actually leaves me feeling more engaged with the game because I'm only playing against myself (okay, not with bosses, but it's still collaborative rather than competitive).
    I'd love to see the antman/cho type events run every offseason to replace sim as a place where you could always go play some matches, regardless of pvp shield status or pve status. now that pve has limited the number of sessions it requires, offseason week is really slow until LRs start.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    I'd love to see Boss Fights for new character releases. Make it double ISO to make the release extra special.