Beginning impressions for Ultron

grunth13
grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, when we played this Ultron the last time, people were finally getting the PUZZLE portion of Marvel Puzzle Quest. This time, they let Ultron move the board. I think they let Ultron move the board in the first Gauntlet and it was universally hated. There was no way to win except through whales or get extremely lucky. Granted, in that version, Ultron was much higher leveled than any of your characters, but that is exactly whats going to happen in the latter stages of this event. Ultron 1st edition was very well liked other than the server crash issues and the non-discussion but still well liked. Why oh why would you change that and make this a luck based game AGAIN? Ultron 1st edition was fun, challenging and made you think. Now if Ultron gets lucky with a cascade, he is going to wipe out your whole team if you were not able to clear a few bombs in the later rounds. Completely floored as to what does on in the developers minds. I know we hit d3 with most of these issues, but I was recently corrected that we should not yell at d3 because they are not responsible for the game, DEMIURGE is. Therefore, I implore D3 employees to ask Demiurge to fix this, because it will be very hard for people to win in the later stages without going wininfinte because you made a PUZZLE game into luck based...AGAIN.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be content with them allowing us to STUN Ultron, to stop him from moving the board, but allow his passives to continue. Then we can have a hybrid of the old Ultron and the New Ultron.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're supposed to lose
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    The only gripe I have so far is not being able to use Kate bishop for the hawkeye nodes as I don't have the 2 star version and I don't want to roster him either
  • grunth13
    fmftint wrote:
    You're supposed to lose

That was Galactus, we were supposed to beat Ultron...except for the Gauntlet node.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    MrBowers wrote:
    The only gripe I have so far is not being able to use Kate bishop for the hawkeye nodes as I don't have the 2 star version and I don't want to roster him either

Yup. She's HAWKEYE. Let us use her!
  • rastafari7
    rastafari7 Posts: 75 Match Maker
    xidragonxi wrote:
    MrBowers wrote:

Yup. She's HAWKEYE. Let us use her!

No she's Kate , you can use her and Hawkeye in the same team.
    Not like Thor where they both got that first name.

Kate Bishop icon_katebishop.png - Hawkeye
    Hawkeye icon_hawkeye.png - Modern
    Hawkeye icon_hawkeye.png - Classic

Thor icon_thor.png - Goddess of Thunder
    Thor icon_thor.png - Modern
    Thor icon_thor.png - Marvel Now!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try using XFDP, where he's boosted, and he attacks ultron every time one of his teammates gets badly bruised. Hopefully that helps!
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    whats the estimated damage from a bomb in later levels?

with him moving the board this will become annoying real fast.

had success with qs, sw and if despite the unpredictable board shake of the later two. im not sure if the hp of an unboosted 3* team holds long even against his match damage after round ... 5?

but im40+lcap depend on a good starting board, and even then there are way too many bombs, qs controls the board much more efficient, at least after that first round, lol
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    I will say this, its sure nice getting 1 CP every time I beat Ultron. Much better than CP boosts. Thanks!
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Try using XFDP, where he's boosted, and he attacks ultron every time one of his teammates gets badly bruised. Hopefully that helps!

And his Countdown for What tiles deal damage when they reach the bottom and Ultron destroys them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP:

Ultron technically couldn't move the board in that gauntlet node. But he was paired with Loki and Shulk. And they could move the board. So it was more or less the same thing. But at that time, the bombs did massive damage (I know they did aoe damage during the first 2 runs of the event, but I can't remember if that was the case in later appearances).
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I'd be happy with just letting us stun Ultron now that he can make matches. Seems more fair. Right now, he is a pain in my posterior.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Basically every counter in the strategy thread has worked for me so far. Yes I have a relatively strong roster but he doesn't seem any more difficult than previous iterations.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Basically every counter in the strategy thread has worked for me so far. Yes I have a relatively strong roster but he doesn't seem any more difficult than previous iterations.

Agreed. Up through middle of round 5 and no problems beating him. Just have to use a lot more healthpacks than before. I think I remember getting through unscathed at times previously. So far only had to revive GR once thanks to an unlucky cascade against me. Otherwise just restoring to full health from maybe 2/3 of team being hurt.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Dam, from lvl 100 in the morning to lvl 300 on the first reset, gg
    Wonder if gsbw+wanda+cap will do the job, my im40+lcap+any is not doing well with bad luck on board, and 23k life is not looking good for bad starting boards icon_e_sad.gif
  • Vhailorx

I take all credit for your victories if you mean my strategy thread! icon_e_wink.gif

But I do think we should remember that boosted 4* champs are absurdly powerful relative to anything in the game when Ultron ran last time. And there are at least two quite good boosted champs this week. Hard for true 4* players to gauge his difficulty before rounds 7/8. How are 3* rosters faring?
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I got a icon_gamora.png out of my vault, so there's another champ level at least.

Like everyone else has said, with Ultron now able to move the board, I'm not looking forward to later rounds. I doubt my alliance will get any farther than R6 anyway. 1 x 4* cover is better than nothing I suppose.

I ran icon_vision.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_blackwidow.png so far with decent success. Get Vision's blue out there and the match damage can take a good chunk off Ultron; move Marvel to the front when a bomb is about to blow; and Widow just does what she does, purple to green to nuke, with her red as a backup to blow up bombs.

And the AI is still the AI. It will happily match-4 away its own bombs if the chance arises. So set the AI up for those if you can.
  • grunth13

I tried using Charlie's angels in round 6 and did ok with it, but i can see that it will become a health pack suck very quickly. Ended up finishing the round with oml, pho, sw to make it quicker. I think I'll try oml, xdp, gr next. I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's not a puzzle anymore and as others have said, it's board dependent. I think people without boosted 4's and 5's are going to have trouble in rounds 7 and 8...which using numbers from another thread means over 50% of player base.
  • Vhailorx
    grunth13 wrote:

I tried using Charlie's angels in round 6 and did ok with it, but i can see that it will become a health pack suck very quickly. Ended up finishing the round with oml, pho, sw to make it quicker. I think I'll try oml, xdp, gr next. I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's not a puzzle anymore and as others have said, it's board dependent. I think people without boosted 4's and 5's are going to have trouble in rounds 7 and 8...which using numbers from another thread means over 50% of player base.

The things you are saying are probably the intended design from demi. Just like civil war, you don't design a boss with 1200 match damage and expect 3* rosters to beat him/her regularly.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Vhailorx wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

The things you are saying are probably the intended design from demi. Just like civil war, you don't design a boss with 1200 match damage and expect 3* rosters to beat him/her regularly.

Thats why it's a total health battle, even if you hurt him a little it counts for the alliance total, but it's kinda hard for 3* roosters to contribute with little dmg and low hp, I remember how hard was galactus the last time, even that matches (after hi bombs exploded) were downing my 3* chars icon_e_sad.gif