Whats the point of Bring to Light?

Options
UrbanNinja
UrbanNinja Posts: 66
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
When I first read the card effect I was amazed by how great it was. I got one yesterday and I think I'll swap it for a Fertile Thicket. You have no control over the card you get so you just get a random card that you can't control for 10 mana. Unless your deck average mana cost is significantly higher than 10 then I don't see any point in this card.

I also play with Talent of the Telepath, but since you can't control the autocast unlike other scrying cards, you only end up having the chance to pick the second card instead of the first.

Comments

• fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    . Yes it requires a careful deck build. Is the point.

When it works it's amazing though. Hangerback walker of Goggles on turn 2.
    I've ditched it in Nissa, because it's actually faster not to use it. But I'm keeping it with Jace because there's much less ramp available.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be precise, you already benefit on average when your deck average mana cost is above 10 but you should also be looking at having least 5 (or more) cards in your deck costing 10 or more to ensure the chance of hitting one is higher.

I use Bring to Light to shrink my deck. Bring to Light and Talent of the Telepath effectively shrinks a deck to 8.5 cards (TotT is 0.5 cause it does not charge the fetched card fully). That benefits certain card combos especially when you have other strong mythics in the deck which you want to draw into and play quickly.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    In addition to what others have said: Talent of the Telepath is one of the very few cards in the game that will tell you what card is on top of your library and then leave it there. You see the top 3, put one of them into your hand, but then the other two stay on top, in that order. So you can control what you Bring to Light if you play Talent of the Telepath beforehand.
  • rulerhumankind
    Options
    This card is mythic because in the future, I bet there will be other cards to organize your library, making this card gold. Since it is dual color, it can also be used in quite a few decks, so a reveal card in another color may well be accessable
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I do not see the point of dwynen for this deck.
    I would replace it with Crush of Tentacles for the final headache icon_twisted.gif
  • UrbanNinja
    Options

I suppose that it is common for you not to have anything out by the 3rd or 4th turn. That doesn't really fit with my deck because I expect to have won by then
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    UrbanNinja wrote:
    I suppose that it is common for you not to have anything out by the 3rd or 4th turn. That doesn't really fit with my deck because I expect to have won by then

If you're winning level 60 quick battles in 3 turns regularly I'd love to see your deck.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Winning by turn 3 is rare. Do not think there is a deck that can pull it off often.
    Turn 4 is much more possible.
    With my Koth deck I win by turn 4 many times.
    I think it still happens less than half the time though.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    Winning by turn 3 is rare. Do not think there is a deck that can pull it off often.
    Turn 4 is much more possible.
    With my Koth deck I win by turn 4 many times.
    I think it still happens less than half the time though.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. Koth is the fastest I've seen, but I've only had one turn 3 win ever, and that was with a god draw/set of cascades that basically dumped all my creatures on the board in just the right combination.
  • UrbanNinja
    Options
    First turn
    Mirrorpool
    Gather the Pack
    Nissa's Renewal (free)
    Desolation Twin
    Desolation Twin (if lucky)

Second turn [40 / 60 dmg]
    Desolation Twin (from unlucky turn 1)
    or / and
    Desolation Twin (from Kiora ability)

Third turn [ 60 / 80 dmg ]
    or nothing

Nissa / Jace / Chandra / Liliana are dead if not lucky. Anyone is dead if lucky.

But yeah, turn 4 is more realistic

EDIT
    Just happened again

1- Talent of the Telepath ( Gather the Pack ) / Talent of the Telepath ( Mirrorpool ) / Gather the Pack / Mirrorpool / Free swap / 6 Mana from Kiora / Nissa's Renewal / Desolation Twin / Desolation Twin
    2- 50 dmg
    3- Desolation Twin from Kiora, 70 dmg

Ob Noxilis is dead
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    UrbanNinja wrote:
    First turn
    Mirrorpool
    Gather the Pack
    Nissa's Renewal (free)
    Desolation Twin
    Desolation Twin (if lucky)

Second turn [40 / 60 dmg]
    Desolation Twin (from unlucky turn 1)
    or / and

Third turn [ 60 / 80 dmg ]
    or nothing

Nissa / Jace / Chandra / Liliana are dead if not lucky. Anyone is dead if lucky.

But yeah, turn 4 is more realistic

EDIT
    Just happened again

1- Talent of the Telepath ( Gather the Pack ) / Talent of the Telepath ( Mirrorpool ) / Gather the Pack / Mirrorpool / Free swap / 6 Mana from Kiora / Nissa's Renewal / Desolation Twin / Desolation Twin
    2- 50 dmg
    3- Desolation Twin from Kiora, 70 dmg

Ob Noxilis is dead

I got to play this deck today. That part of it makes the PvP thing pretty fun.
  • madwren
    Options
    Being able to cast high cc mythics off Mirrorpool and something cheap is many sorts of awesome.

Honestly, Mirrorpool is one of the best cards in the format.
  • Coconut99
    Coconut99 Posts: 212
    Options
    For me, in my Kiora deck, it means potentially free (1) Nissa's Renewal, or (2) Dwynens (those being the 2 cards in my Kiora deck over 10 mana), but also, it means spell chains to buff up Managorger Hydra faster (don't have Roil, sadly). Especially when BtL pulls a BtL, then pulls another spell.
  • UrbanNinja
    Options
    soultwist wrote:

Nah, best part of PvP is facing a Koth that casts 5 Scour from Existence in a row.
  • madwren
    Options
    UrbanNinja wrote:
    soultwist wrote:

Nah, best part of PvP is facing a Koth that casts 5 Scour from Existence in a row.

My best loss today was to a Liliana deck that cascaded into Drana and Despoiler of Souls on turn 1, then cascaded every turn so that she could chain her discard ability. I never stood a chance.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I use Bring to Light to shrink my deck. Bring to Light and Talent of the Telepath effectively shrinks a deck to 8.5 cards (TotT is 0.5 cause it does not charge the fetched card fully). That benefits certain card combos especially when you have other strong mythics in the deck which you want to draw into and play quickly.

For sure. This.

Even though my only two big CC cards are Dreadwaters and Breaker of Armies in my blue deck, I still see a ton of value in BtL when I have ToT in my deck. I rely on slowing my opponent down, using card draw, Sphinx, and boosted Scions to deal with anything that comes up. It is a slow deck, but it once it is working it can cripple the opponent from casting anything (even Kiora AI can't produce enough mana to get a card out without insane cascades).