Sarkhan needs buff

Options
Theros
Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ Suggestions & Feedback
My concern is the 2nd ability that is call dragon. 9 loyalty to cast 1 dragon is a bit too expensive. One my want to cast enough dragons to use the third ability. However, it takes so many turns to even build up the 9 loyal cost from casting a single dragon. The process is just too slow, too slow to even cast 2 dragons and use the third ability later . It takes too long, the effort is not worth it and the process is inefficient compared to alternatives ways of dishing damage.

Sarkhan is only superior when you have dragon creatures in your deck. Even 1 dragon creature in your deck is more than enough because it can played on board more often and faster than spending 9 in loyalty cost.
Sarkhan can be played without dragons and without using his abilities. But in that case it's more efficient to play other PW's due to having fairly good stats and superior abilities.
I suggest a decrease in dragon call from 9 to 6 to make it more viable for people who don't have a single dragon.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I do not own sarkhan but when you compare the dragon to other 9 loyalty creature makers you clearly see the difference is too big.
    6/6 flyer requiring one creature sacrifice vs 8/8 stats.
    There is no competition.

I know they wanted to keep the theme of the original skill, but if anything, it should have better stats because of the sacrifice or cost less.
    Think 8/8 flyer would a
    Somehow balance it.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe give the dragon +X/+X where X is the sacrificed creatures power?
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    I do not own sarkhan but when you compare the dragon to other 9 loyalty creature makers you clearly see the difference is too big.
    6/6 flyer requiring one creature sacrifice vs 8/8 stats.
    There is no competition.

I know they wanted to keep the theme of the original skill, but if anything, it should have better stats because of the sacrifice or cost less.
    Think 8/8 flyer would a
    Somehow balance it.
    I think that part of why the ability is so underwelming is to balance the fact that it is a 2 color walker, so he doesn't need kickass abilities to be an interesting choice.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    Maybe give the dragon +X/+X where X is the sacrificed creatures power?

It would be cool if the power worked like this:

9 Loyalty: Sacrifice a creature and summon a 4/4 red dragon with flying that has "When this creature enters the battlefield it gains +X/+X power and toughness where X is the creature's power that was sacrificed." That way you're still able to turn bad creatures into good dragons, but it also turns good creatures into better dragons.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The truth is Sarkhan is an extremely powerful planeswalker once you have at least 3 of the 4 Dragons (Tyrant of Valakut, Avaricious Dragon, Akoum Hellkite, Dragonmaster Outcast) in the game. Just save up 18 loyalty and the QB match ends there and then.

If you only have 2 Dragons, Sarkhan will still be comparable in power level to Ajani.
    If you only have 0 or 1 Dragon, don't waste your crystals getting Sarkhan.

His second ability is really just consolation until you have access to Dragon cards. It's highly costed cause it combos with the third skill. 6 loyalty for it would be nice seeing as how it wouldn't really increase the max power level of Sarkhan that much but helps those who don't have enough Dragons yet.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I will agree with the fact that Sarkhan needs natural dragons to function well, but I run him with only one (the best of the bunch, thankfully) and pair it with steal/sac combos and reanimation to make the most of his colors

Tyrant of Valakut
    Enthralling Victor

Grave Birthing
    Altar's Reap
    Turn Against
    Bone Splinters
    Dark Petition
    Kozilek's Return

Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
    Smoldering Marsh

I don't even have him maxed out yet (currently 52) and this deck wrecks just about anything in front of it, unless green gets a massive cascade lead and brings out the beatsticks against my **** draw.
  • Gun Bunny
    Gun Bunny Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Happy to report that I've swapped out the victor for an akoum Hellkite, and things have never been better.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    just checked the last update does not come with any additional dragons. I was hopping the update adds dragons at lower rarity
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    +1

Can't figure out how to "thumbs up" or "upvote" this.

I go whole battles without bothering with the dragons because they're so weak in comparison to the other creatures.

The only real use I've had out of his abilities have been spamming on some ability for destroying creatures or trying a desperate save when a creature is almost dead.