new to ultron? here are some tips that might help

Options

Comments

• bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Options
    Does 3* Storm's black power turn bombs into strike tiles? If so, shes a good pairing with IF.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I will assume that people are more familiar with ultron sentries from ddq, but the general rule of thumb is to target gunners (blue) first, then swarmers (green), then flyers(that's what they are called, I think)(yellow).

I always focused on greens first, as they effectively gave the AI two moves per round to spam the board.

Good luck with that when fighting level 350+ gunners. Two crit tiles around is not survivable against overleveled ai opponents.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If only Antman could steal bomb tiles...
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bpcontra wrote:
    Does 3* Storm's black power turn bombs into strike tiles? If so, shes a good pairing with IF.

Pretty sure that's a 'no'. Her hailstorm overwrites traps, but not visible specials.

Would love to be wrong about that....

What about cmags yellow at 5 covers? It will do CDs at that level. Does the text say "protect, strike, special, or countdown tile" or "any tile"?
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    switch at 5 green in hex bolt can take out bombs. a bit of rng though since she only kills four tiles.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mind over matter does not effect bombs
  • Deadpool369
    Deadpool369 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Options
    Gr cm tank is still working wonders..although when the scaling goes up the next 2 days I wonder how many bombs cap marvel could survive
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tried using SWitch, starlord and hulkbuster. Starlord is a good backup plan with his purple that's cheap to override bomb tiles especially if you managd to get yellow out.

Of course, SWitch blue tile will
      50% of the time will be in the bottom 3 rows. 40% of the time will be in the middle of a pack of blue tiles which will be matched away by ultron on the next turn. Only gets activated 10% of the time. But eh respec her green to 5 ranks and you have another backup bomb tile destroyer.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Used 3* Cap, 3* Cyclops (3/5/5) and 2* Mags for rounds 1 to 5. Still at round 5 so cant comment on whether it works in rd 6.

In the first (and maybe the second) Ultron run, Cap was boosted so i could use him until the later rounds as well.

Cyclops and Mags generate red and blue for Cap. Black for bonus damage by Cyclops. Mags purple can also be used to get rid of bombs in some instances by creating match 4/5s
  • Evil Vin
    Evil Vin Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just entered round 6. My team of Hulk, Kamala, and 3star Storm, have worked so far and will probably get me through 6. I fear though after this round things will be too hard for them, since a lot of the team is just pure luck and they're starting to get too much damage while getting going.

I'm thinking of running a Punisher, Kamala, Flaptain Team for round 7. My issue is my Flaptain is only 2,2,3 at the moment so I fear he isn't up to the task even with the leveling up from the event. Also really no ones green is super useful to keep using Kamala's purple. Really I'm just trying to come up with a team to defend Punisher until he can finish off Ultron.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Weirdly Yelena's payback mission turns bombs to criticals.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,989 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    chaos01 wrote:
    Weirdly Yelena's payback mission turns bombs to criticals.

It's not weird. It's what Payback Mission is supposed to do at 5 ranks (turn 2 enemy special tiles into crits).

The conspiracy theory in me makes me wonder if the timing of removing Yelena from the standard tokens right before this event wasn't just accidental icon_eek.gif

KGB
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I will assume that people are more familiar with ultron sentries from ddq, but the general rule of thumb is to target gunners (blue) first, then swarmers (green), then flyers(that's what they are called, I think)(yellow).

I always focused on greens first, as they effectively gave the AI two moves per round to spam the board.

Good luck with that when fighting level 350+ gunners. Two crit tiles around is not survivable against overleveled ai opponents.

Yeah but a swarmer increases special tile generation by over 50% per round - destroys 4 plus match 3 vs just match 3. Gunners ability depends on the number of specials on the field so halting the amount coming down is significant.

It gets even worse in survival where a second wave gunner can meltdown based on the mess the first wave left behind. So my focus is always matching away specials and reducing the number that appear in the first place.

If it is a gunner and two swarmers then I may try to rush the gunner before the board floods with specials, but in every other scenario I am turning off the tap.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Make liberal use of icon_deadpool.png Countdown for What. With Ultron both moving tiles and blowing up the last row, the Countdown for What tiles should be triggered a lot. Added bonus that he's buffed for the event!

Running 5/3/5 XPool with IM40 and SWitch. With ultron destroying half the board in 5 rounds he's pretty much guaranteed to take 10k damage for 7 purple before I try matching more countdowns away it into the blast zone.

And Xpools red is doing over 15k, which pretty much requires one IM40 battery to charge. And at 30k health he can catch a couple of bombs safely.

SWitch blue is very touch and go, but when it does go off I can generally convert it straight into another set of countdown tiles. Though I might be better served running ghost rider and letting him penance stare if pool eats too many bombs.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What is the damage of the bombs in rounds 7 and 8 ? (I can't remember :S)

Until later rounds I am using OML+xpoool+(doesn't matter but for now I use IMHB). And I am playing to make the bombs go faster to the bottom icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gif OML regen at this stage (round 5) is so strong that he can soak bomb damage as fast as Ultron creates them, and xpool black is doing 7k. I suppose that at later rounds this strategy will not work, but for now, it is quite fun playing as wrong as possible to win as fast as possible icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    thinking about maxing both and going with 3 on red, especially if I run hb as third. that's kind of a brute force way but with him making matches I don't like any of the puzzle ways I've been trying - im40, winfinite, etc. all are really unreliable with the board moving.

I went one further and run 4Cyke at 355 or 454 if 5xblue is too unpredictable.
    HB - Black to Red
    4Cyke - Yellow or Blue to red. Even if yellow only lasts 1 turn i'd getting +4 red
    4Pool - he's not tanking because of HB so 355

Round 6 Ultron is doing 7.2k damage so still manageable. I'm only healing HB when needed. Cyke can die if needed before using a health pack.

Round 7 .. need to wait for the timer to unlock, can't even check his stats >.<.. edit R7 he does 15.3k damage...
    R8.. not sure.

But yeah a decent OML with 4Pool can probably laugh things of till R8.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    by Wolarsen » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:16 am

I will try IM40/LCap/GSBWidow

LCaptain and GSBWidow are superb for this.
    IM40 doesnt work too well, too many Recharge CD get lost; I got better results with Hood. In round 6 I started using OML for survavility, he tanks R/Y/B/TU and I am quite satisfied with the results.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My casual alliance is only on Round 5 but I'm finding HB, Ghost Rider and XPool work well. Focus on black, red, purple. Let HB tank any bombs, fire off CDW when you can, and either GR's black, HB's red or a combo of the two takes Ultron down every time.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rd7 health is 49824 and bomb dmg is just over 15K. Gettign pretty rough for 4*s, but HB and Xpool are brute forcing it.

May have to get more creative in Rd8!

My memory is usually very bad, but I don't remember Rd7 to be as hard, that basically one shots any non buffed (non 5) character.

I guess that at that point something like OML+IF+GR is going to be required, and prey you can get 12 black before everybody is dead...

Edit:

Yeah I was right (yey!!!), I just checked and at least in the first run Ultron used to have 'just' 26k life. And last time it was run, bombs at round 8 were doing 16k. So Ultron now is much harder but it also gives more points.

I hope this is not another "you have to lose" fight...
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you have a good Hulkbuster, building a team completely around him is a very viable strategy. Even with my 5*, Hulkbuster is doing the most damage per AP. 2* Mag, 3/4* Cyclops, Phoenix, Iron Fist, etc. Anybody that generates Red, Blue, or Black. We are on round 7 and I don't even worry about the bombs. I rush my battery colors, convert to red, and 1 shot the boss ezpz. 2* Mag is fantastic for this. I highly recommend Hulkbuster/2*Magneto/3*Cyclops for the 3-4 transitioners.