where have all the cupcakes gone?

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
havn't come across any in 4 events now. bad timing? bad slices? d3 got rid of them?

what gives???

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're out there. You're probably just stuck in queue hell and not seeing them
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, I found several yesterday and made sure to bake myself too.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    slice dependent...

Give me a B
    give me a C
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was in s1 yesterday and saw a cupcake at 923 points and again at 1102 points.

They are there must just be bad timing.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't find any yesterday, but it might be because it was too early.

Anyway, guys I have thought of baking a cupcake myself, but, what is the best way of doing it, is there a way where you don't lose points? My problem is that I would need to do it by myself, we don't coordinate between my alliance members (basically because my roster is much better). I guess the fastest way is set the team, start a match against a team with more points than me, abandon it and then shield? Is there a better way?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

Anyway, guys I have thought of baking a cupcake myself, but, what is the best way of doing it, is there a way where you don't lose points? My problem is that I would need to do it by myself, we don't coordinate between my alliance members (basically because my roster is much better). I guess the fastest way is set the team, start a match against a team with more points than me, abandon it and then shield? Is there a better way?

Save one of your seed teams. When you've climbed to the point you need to climb beat the seed team with your weakest team (use a team up) and then shield afterwards.

I've never baked myself but I can't imagine a more efficient way than that.
  • Quebbster
    Polares wrote:

You need to win the match to change your defense team. Saving a seed team works. Sometimes I bake early without shielding and save one of the retaliation nodes for the bake. And of course you can make your cupcake from another cupcake team.
    Teamups are your friend when you are baking, if you bring a big AoE Teamup it's much easier to win. That's why you often see Ms Marvel on cupcake teams since she can accelerate Teamups with her yellow ability.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:
    havn't come across any in 4 events now. bad timing? bad slices? d3 got rid of them?

what gives???

You want cake... Don't go s2
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

You can't join and abandon, you have to win. As others said, save a seed team and beat it with a weak team.

As far as not losing points with it...if you cake, then wait 30-45 seconds, then shield, you're usually fine (and if you're not, they probably were already fighting your A team). The only dilemma with this is that when you unshield, your cake team is what they find. So usually people will win with a cake team, then fight one more match (something that can be beaten quickly), so the A-team is left on defense before shielding.

All that said, if you're not coordinating with others to let them know it's out there, then there's little benefit to doing so other than being nice to strangers and randoms, who are the exact people who won't wait for you to shield to hit it.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Quebbster wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    I bake early without shielding and save one of the retaliation nodes for the bake.
    This. If I get seed teams I beat the two hardest and then win a couple other matches and then bake a cake off the 3rd seed team from 300-400 pts and just let it sit unshielded. Ironically I get more defensive wins from this cupcake team than any other all event.

The problem with saving a seed team is if you get attacked the retal node can overwrite your seed team. But if you bake off a seed team early and let someone hit it, you will have an easy retal that never goes away that you can bake off of whenever.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    S4 is populated. If there are plenty of legit unshielded targets that's close to your mmr, then the game does not give you a cake. You only get a cake when there aren't enough targets within your mmr worth points. Then the game dips into the pool of lowbie teams (cakes/seeds/newb) to give you something to hit.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Did anyone else start singing that terrible "Where have all the cowboys gone" song in their heads when they saw this thread title?

No? Just me?

Where is my Johnny Storm...Where is my Juggernauuught...where are the easy matches...where have all the cupcakes goooonnnneeee?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Did anyone else start singing that terrible "Where have all the cowboys gone" song in their heads when they saw this thread title?

No? Just me?

Where is my Johnny Storm...Where is my Juggernauuught...where are the easy matches...where have all the cupcakes goooonnnneeee?
    I know I'm not "too old" for you guys to get this since iirc the forum population is slightly older...anyway I immediately started singing "Where have all the flowers gone?" by Peter Paul and Mary.

And to stay slightly on topic. Our BC notes that it's very dependent on time in event, average scores, your own personal MMR, etc. Now that I have 5* MMR I don't tend to see them until 950+ whereas with maxed 4* I was seeing them around 800-850. Also this is "early" in the event with say 16+ hours to go. Later on that score creeps up to the point where in a recent event I had to hit A teams up past 1100 before I started seeing cupcakes. So it's a combination of a lot of things, and also people have to actually have a cupcake out when you're cycling your queues. Unless you're in s4 it's going to take some work to just stumble on a wild cupcake.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I think what Mohio means to say is that they are all in s4. All of them.

Every, single, last one.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got a nice 75 pointer for my 1k nova cover yesterday. Loaners plus two weaklings with ~800 health. Just perfect!

Thanks anonymous baker! I waited an extra 90 seconds at the end of the match; hope that was enough for you to shield. Couldn't wait any longer without risking a hit given how long my climb took.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I was in s1 yesterday and saw a cupcake at 923 points and again at 1102 points.

They are there must just be bad timing.

Part of the reason I'm in slice 1 now is because I seem to have an easier time finding bakers. When I was in slice 4, my alliance mates would call out cupcakes, and I always missed them. icon_e_confused.gificon_evil.gif

but yes, cupcakes CAN still be found. It's just a matter of figuring out when (time wise) bakers toss them out. What I do is look at the top pvp alliances for your slice, and if you see high scorers from these group pushing, it's very likely that they'll toss a cupcake sooner or later. It may take you 1,000+ in iso skipping to find one, though.
  • Quebbster
    Peej13 wrote:
    I think what Mohio means to say is that they are all in s4. All of them.

Every, single, last one.
    I never play slice 4 (worst possible end time for me), yet I have little trouble finding and baking cupcakes.