format

Options
ShawnP1
ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So I thought it would be interesting to play paper mtg but do it with a deck made on MTGPQ so you choose ten cards, take 4 of each and mix in 20 lands so you have a 60 card deck then have a PW as a "commander" of sorts.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    20 lands in paper magic is too low even for most super low mana fast aggro decks.

Average lands number is usually 24-25.
    Fast decks running like 22.
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    Morphis wrote:
    20 lands in paper magic is too low even for most super low mana fast aggro decks.

Average lands number is usually 24-25.
    Fast decks running like 22.

But it's the perfect way to emulate how dependent you are on luck in this game.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like it. Would play it. Until someone figures out some deck where Tibalt is completely busted in this format and his price shoots up to like $70.

Maybe instead of putting land in the deck, you could roll 2 six-sided dice and that's the amount of mana you get for that turn. If you roll doubles, you get to roll again. Your mana stockpiles into your first card, as in puzzle quest, and stays with that card while it's in your hand.

If you run out of cards in your deck, you shuffle your graveyard and it becomes a new library.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I like the dice method for card costs, but tracking it would be an issue.

More rules:
    You start with 2 cards in hand, and draw if able at the start of your turn.
    You can't draw a card unless you have less than 6 cards in hand. Your hand size cannot be increased beyond 6.
    You can choose to Exile a card from your hand, but it is removed from the game and does not go to graveyard.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You can choose to Exile a card from your hand, but it is removed from the game and does not go to graveyard.
    Nah. That's paper rules, not mtGPQ unlike in paper, your "exiled" cards are treated as destroyed and DO go into the graveyard.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I didn't think it was the same.

If you exile a card, you can't reanimate it with Black spells or Liliana's ability. I thought that meant it didn't go to the graveyard?
  • ShawnP1
    Options
    I run most decks, other than Commander decks or 4 color with exactly 1/3 of the deck being lands. I like the dice thing
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe you could have 2 different piles - the exile pile and the graveyard. When you pitch cards from your hand, they wind up in exile, not the graveyard.

When your deck is empty, however, you shuffle the graveyard and exile cards into a new library.

Some other possible rules:

* Each player can only have 3 of a creature at any given time, unless you temporarily steal one of your opponent's creatures.

* If you cast a 2nd copy of a creature, it is "reinforced" onto the 1st creature and these now count as 1 object.

* Everything is played at sorcery speed, even instants. If an instant is cast, it becomes a "support" which is destroyed at the beginning of your next turn. Possibly, the word "target" would be replaced with "the next". So, Counterspell would be on the field and would counter the next spell your opponent casts, but would fizzle at the beginning of the next turn.

* Each player starts with 100 life. It might be necessary to ban Serra Avatar.

* X spells can't have mana dumped into them over multiple turns. To cast an x spell, you reveal it, roll the dice one time and play that spell with just the mana you got from that dice roll.

* I'm not sure how to treat your planeswalker. Either they start the game in the Command Zone and you have to roll dice to get them out (rather than powering up your spells), or they would start the game on the field, but with 0 loyalty (this does not kill it - it just makes it so it can't do anything). If you use the Command Zone, then a card like Hero's Downfall "destroy target creature or planeswalker" would send it back to the Command Zone. I don't know if it should be subject to a Commander Tax the way Commanders are in EDH.

* If we are to emulate Magic Puzzle Quest, then creatures can't be assigned as blockers, and only creatures with Defender, Reach and Vigilance will be able to interact with attackers. If so, then suddenly random cards with Defender as a drawback become extremely powerful (example, Wooly Razorback is a 7/7 defender for 4). Also, there is no such keyword in Magic as "Berserker".

* It is not necessary to tap a creature for it to attack. A creature which is tapped is "disabled" and loses all abilities, even static abilities.
  • ShawnP1
    Options
    Yeah we'd need a lot of health to start too, I was just suggesting basically playing it like paper mtg but with decks designed on PQ but some of the ideas are pretty interesting my friends and I will certainly playtest this........ when ever we play again we haven't played in like 2 months icon_e_sad.gif I'm losing my mind but my wife is happier. Lol