Iron Man M40 Recharge tiles and board shuffle

Options
OzarkBoatswain
OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
Usually when 3* Iron Man has a recharge tile go off, it stuns him, but all of the recharge tiles due on the same turn go off. (This is inconsistent with how other countdown tiles work with stun, but IM40 has had this since the beginning.)

If a board shuffle occurs before they all go off, the remaining ones don't count down and go off. You need to wait until IM40 becomes unstunned. I think this is unintended behavior.

Comments

• Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    Wrong forum, this is about Magic Puzzle Quest.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is because it goes through the board from top to bottom, left to right, and counts down any CD tile as it comes across it. If a tile from below gets shifted to a location above where the AI already processed tiles, it will not get processed. Likewise, if a tile from above that was already processed gets cascaded or shuffled to a location where the AI has not yet processed, it will get reduced again.

I don't think its intentional, but it is a by-product of the CD tiles being processed based on location rather than on an individual basis by being uniquely identified.

I suspect a lot more work to fix it than they are prepared to commit at this time.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I don't think its intentional, but it is a by-product of the CD tiles being processed based on location rather than on an individual basis by being uniquely identified.

I suspect a lot more work to fix it than they are prepared to commit at this time.
    It's a product of checking board validity at inappropriate times. During c/d processing and while tiles are falling, board state is in flux. Once the board has quiesced and it's time for a team to make a match, then it should ensure a valid match exists. You know, like it used to.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    This is because it goes through the board from top to bottom, left to right, and counts down any CD tile as it comes across it. If a tile from below gets shifted to a location above where the AI already processed tiles, it will not get processed. Likewise, if a tile from above that was already processed gets cascaded or shuffled to a location where the AI has not yet processed, it will get reduced again.

Aha!

Wasn't there a CD power that didn't move the board at all until all the CDs were counted down? Making that universal would fix the problem.
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    Wasn't there a CD power that didn't move the board at all until all the CDs were counted down? Making that universal would fix the problem.
    This happens if you set off multiple countdowns with Hood's Intimidation.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Options
    This happens if you set off multiple countdowns with Hood's Intimidation.

I tested this a few weeks ago, it's true that using hood will activate 1, 2 or 3 tiles of recharge, but it's the way that it should work, board shuffle shouldn't prevent that from happening, I know that is not very likely to have no moves but as a programer you can't minimize posibilities to cero. Happened to me twice yesterday, never before so maybe is related to the fix with no moves board implemented on previous patch (and I've been using IM40 for like 3 months since I got 2 yellow covers). Weird thing is that the second time it wasn't with a board shuffle, but also I didn't see what happened until 2 tiles where there with 1 turn and ironman already stunned. I think that there was a cap tile below that made the top recharge drop below the other 2 and was the only one that activated.

Still I think that is something that went live recently so nice to see I'm not the only 1.
  • bennycah
    bennycah Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I would like to add another scenario I experienced:

3* IM and 2* Magneto left Recharge and Magnetic Flux. All Recharge tiles are above Magnetic Flux, and the recharge tiles are all in different rows. The sequence it went off:
      1. Magnetic Flux (didn't hit any Recharge tiles) 2. Second row Recharge tile 3. Last row Recharge tile
    And that's it. Somehow the first row (top most) Recharge tile didn't went off.
    It's a product of checking board validity at inappropriate times. During c/d processing and while tiles are falling, board state is in flux. Once the board has quiesced and it's time for a team to make a match, then it should ensure a valid match exists. You know, like it used to.
    I agree with BlackSheep101's theory. But it doesn't fit the scenario I found above :/
  • BlackSheep101
    Options
    In your Magnetic Flux example, if the explosion dropped Recharge tiles below the MF location, they would tick down an extra time. They'd have to drop past the location of Magnetic Flux.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Posted it in other thread, here's recent examle from me:

2 tiles resolved, stunned IM40 etc. and made a cascade that removed all possible matches.
    Game not waiting to resolve 3rd Recharge CD shuffled board, CD moved up and it didn't get processed...
    16a1ooi.jpg
  • torontoraptors
    Options
    What's the best build for IM40?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anything / Anything / 5

Seriously, I go 5 / 3 / 5 because I like using max power Unibeams as a last resort.
  • bennycah
    bennycah Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In your Magnetic Flux example, if the explosion dropped Recharge tiles below the MF location, they would tick down an extra time. They'd have to drop past the location of Magnetic Flux.
    Oh, true. That might be the case. So the first row of Recharge considered to be "before" Magnetic Flux, hence never triggers.

Another question though, why would Magnetic Flux prioritised over Recharge? If both are considered as the same level, the Recharge tiles would all be triggered before Magnetic Flux. Anyway, not related to the current bug thread.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bennycah wrote:
    Oh, true. That might be the case. So the first row of Recharge considered to be "before" Magnetic Flux, hence never triggers.

Another question though, why would Magnetic Flux prioritised over Recharge? If both are considered as the same level, the Recharge tiles would all be triggered before Magnetic Flux. Anyway, not related to the current bug thread.

It's prioritized by tile order, top to bottom, left to right, as mentioned above. Whichever CD tile is first in line goes off first, and if others get moved above its current location they don't go off.