Finally beat World Breaker!

Options
Reaganstorme
Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Here's the deck my level 39 Nissa that finally beat Worldbreaker with no life lost!

Creatures:
Murasa Ranger (9)
Oran-Rief Hydra (15)
Undergrowth Champion (16)
Greenwarden of Murasa (17) *

Spells:
Earthen Arms (6, A12) *
Mantle of Webs (9)

Supports:
Fertile Thicket (2)
Nissa's Pilgrimage (3)
Mirrorpool (4)
Retreat to Kazandu (4) *

* These did not get drawn.

Key was to get Undergrowth Champion buffed as quickly as possible. Mirrorpooled O-R Hydra did most of the beatdown due to the double buff on green landfalls. Most of the supports got blown up quickly due to WB's ability.

Very glad i had unlocked O-R Hydra this week!

Comments

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here's the deck my level 39 Nissa that finally beat Worldbreaker with no life lost!

Creatures:
    Murasa Ranger (9)
    Oran-Rief Hydra (15)
    Undergrowth Champion (16)
    Greenwarden of Murasa (17) *

Spells:
    Earthen Arms (6, A12) *
    Mantle of Webs (9)

Supports:
    Fertile Thicket (2)
    Nissa's Pilgrimage (3)
    Mirrorpool (4)
    Retreat to Kazandu (4) *

* These did not get drawn.

Key was to get Undergrowth Champion buffed as quickly as possible. Mirrorpooled O-R Hydra did most of the beatdown due to the double buff on green landfalls. Most of the supports got blown up quickly due to WB's ability.

Very glad i had unlocked O-R Hydra this week!

How long did it take you to finally beat him?
    It took me hours and luck unfortunately.
  • paralistalon
    paralistalon Posts: 153
    Options
    Greenwarden of Murasa, undergrowth champion, and mirror pool. I don't think the other cards matter much. I'd be willing to bet that a deck with just one of those mythics could beat worldbreaker. Btw, this is not meant to diminish your win! Congrats!
  • godspeed6811
    Options
    Oh well I can't do anything cuz I don't have those 3 cards. I am tired of getting my butt kicked left and right. Guess I only have one option and that's to quit unless anyone else has beaten this without having every damn mythic in the game. Just very frustrating. Help please!
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @MADAFAKA - I've been trying to beat it since the first event. I had Greenwarden of Murasa, UC, and Mirrorpool all along, but not enough luck to survive the early cascades. This week i unlocked Oran-Rief Hydra to add to the mix and made a few other tweaks to my Nissa deck. I beat him on my 3rd try this time.

@paralistalon - I was very lucky to unlock Mirrorpool the week it came out. It works so well in so many types of decks. My Kiora deck loves to get cheap Crush of Tentacles out this way when i don't have creatures in my opening hand. Mirrorpool (4) --> Seek the Wilds (4) or Coastal Discovery (3) --> Crush of Tentacles (free). 7 or 8 mana for a 16/16 second turn creature with Reach and Trample.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh well I can't do anything cuz I don't have those 3 cards. I am tired of getting my butt kicked left and right. Guess I only have one option and that's to quit unless anyone else has beaten this without having every damn mythic in the game. Just very frustrating. Help please!

You don't need specific cards to beat that level, nor do you specifically need Mythics.

What you need is a strategy. The opponent starts with 342 life. You won't be able to outrace them. You need to control the board.

Also, the opponent destroys gems of your color. So, it's not a good idea to put any supports in play which turn gems to your primary color. Supports you do put into play should pump your creatures and cause them to bash into your opponent's creatures. Hedron Blade is useful if you have it, because almost all of their creatures are colorless, and you can give your creature deathtouch and berserker (meaning that your creature will kill theirs even if yours is a 1/1 and theirs is a 24/24).

If you only have the original walkers, I would recommend:

Gideon: put every "destroy target creature" effect into play as you can (Smite the Monstrous, Scour from Existence). Try to get either first strike or lifelink creatures, and try to pump them up as large as possible. If two creatures are going to collide, try to put protection on yours like Enshrouding Mist. Recommended (non mythic) cards: Brawler's Plate, Hedron Blade, Iroas' Champion, Knight of the White Orchid, Knightly Valor, Sandstone Bridge, Scour from Existence, Sigil of Valor, Smite the Monstrous, War Oracle, Serene Steward, Alchemist's Vial, Chitinous Cloak, Kor Entanglers, Consul's Lieutenant, Ulamog's Despoiler (wait until there are void gems on the field before casting).

Liliana: put every "destroy target creature" effect into play as you can. Put any card into your deck that can force them to discard their first card (Transgress the Mind is best if you have it). Use her 1st ability to force discard of the opponent's cards, but wait until they've put some mana into that card. The opponent's cards have very high casting costs and you can take advantage of this.

If you are using Liliana's 1st ability, any creatures in your hand which you discard count as having "died" for effects that bring creatures back. So one trick Liliana players use is to use her first ability to put large creatures in her graveyard and her 3rd ability to bring 3 of those creatures back to life.

Nissa: use Scour from Existence to destroy creatures, use creatures which can get bigger over the course of the game (Managorger Hydra with a bunch of spells, Sylvan Messenger as the only elf in your deck - when you cast her, she will put another Sylvan Messenger in your hand). Use effects which give your creatures berserker or reach, or make them really big before contact, such as Nissa's 2nd ability. Also, with Nissa, if your strategy revolves around certain creatures, put some creature tutors (Seek the Wilds, Gather the Pack) in your deck so you can access those creatures more frequently.
  • DShanz
    DShanz Posts: 2
    Options
    FFS, why do they need to make **** battles like this? Spent a good 20-30 mins in a match getting this F***ER down to 64 life (first time I ever put an actual dent in him too), maintaining good control, then he pulls off his loyalty ability which causes such a massive cascade that all 6 of his cards were full of mana, which included 4 uses if Nissa's Renewal, whatever card that allows him to locate the next card in his library for free twice, bunch of mirrorpools, a few card refills and basically went from having 1 creature on the board to having 3 double/tripled up into 20/20's (several of those being World Breaker cards, each continuing the cascade further). All this before he even made his turn match, the turn must have taken longer than 1 or 2 minutes in total. By far the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in any PQ game ever (and I thought I seen some s*** in Marvel, SMH).

I get the fact that they want to make things challenging, but from what I've seen in these past couple fights have straight up eff you abilities (and I know worse is yet to come), but they should seriously at least save this type of **** for chapter 2 and at least make it remotely possible for people to get through chapter one. I was lucky I somehow even scraped by Inverter of Truth with his ability going off each turn and the creatures it was pulling out of it's a**. I was on the fence to start spending $ on this game to help get a bit stronger, but seriously after this **** I completely refuse to provide any type of funding/support and I'll just drop this game if I can't progress further.

Update: OK, so I got that basterd! Locked him down with Jace and ingesting creatures/spells ... but not after losing the time prior with him having only 1 HP (and being only 1 mana shy of a Chitinous Cloak :'( ). He actually pulled off another ridiculous cascade, and a couple Nissa's Renewals nearly right off the bat, but somehow all 6 of his cards that got filled were nearly useless, and that actually made it easier to lock him down afterward.
  • sageofhalo451
    sageofhalo451 Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options
    World Breaker can get some pretty crazy combos going.

As mentioned above once you hit Inverter of Truth or Sphinx of the Final Word in chapter 2 the health of the enemy skyrockets. You definitely need a strategy to deal with that.

Specifically for world breaker you have the following disadvantages:

All your color gems will be destroyed frequently so your mana gain will be affected
    Supports from your color will be destroyed quickly unless they have a high shield value
    Opponent has better mana gain especially if they get the support out that adds two to any match

From this we can see that dual color plainswalkers have a little bit of a disadvantage in that more gems are destroyed causing more cascades for the opponent.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46967

The above link has a listing for the cards in the deck. Card 10 is Mirrorpool

You need to be able to deal with any of those issues.

Your strategy must include some form of hard removal. The card for Kozilek is a 12/12 (24/24 with mirrorpool) with Menace meaning you need two defender/reach creatures to block it (Vigilance doesn't count!). For such a high power/toughness card its not worth it to trade creatures against it when you are at a mana disadvantage. You deal with Kozilek via removal.

The creatures that come out are typically of power 6 or higher and they can be buffed by 2/2 and given berserker by Gladehart Cavalry so your creatures will be under the gun quite a bit or you will be taking heavy hits to your health.

To deal with this I've found the best thing is First Strike.

Therefore my personal strategy is to get a First Striker out and protect it until it can be big enough to handle a 20/20 Mirrorpooled Ulamog.

Plainswalker: Gideon I
    -Deck-
    Creatures
    Consul's Lieutenant (Critical or other First Striker)
    Felidar Sovereign (not critical, any life linker is ok)
    Lantern Scout (not critical, can be Relic Seeker or other fill in)

Supports
    Knightly Valor (Helps in a pinch)
    Mirrorpool (not critical but helps)

Spells
    Enshrouding Mist (Critical)
    Smite the Monstrous (Critical)
    Iona’s Blessing
    Chitinous Cloak
    Ondu Rising

The strategy is to stay alive until you have a Consul's Lieutenant filled and 21 loyalty. Drop the Consul's and do what you need to to protect him from berserkers and then put Gideon's third ability on him. This will put him at 10/9 which will take out any unbuffed or unMirrorpooled creature except Kozilek. So you have to protect him with Enshrouding Mist if anything bigger than that will be hitting him. Sometimes it is hard to know if one of the creatures will be reinforced so luck will play a role if you don't end up using an EM. From there you need to pump him up as best you can with spells like Chitinous Cloak and Iona's to turn him into a wall that nothing can get through. If you don't have those spells include another removal spell or some disables which white has in spades and use Gideon's second ability. Use a life-link creature or Ondu Rising to get health back that you lost in case something crazy happens.

This general strategy works well for the other high health bosses as well. Tyrant of Valakut is difficult in that there is a high level of direct damage in that deck but the Regen 5 from Gideon's third ability works well to counter that but sometimes Serpentine Strike just ruins your day.

Good luck!
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I completely rebuilt a blue deck to take it down. My lvl 46 Jace beat in a few tries what my 60 red and green decks failed on over and over.

My blue deck was card draw creatures and AP denial, but that wasn't working. Too easy for the AI to get chains and massive AP production, so I went with creature denial instead.

oaS55Av.png

Only Mythic was Bring to Light and it should have been left out of the deck, since it rarely brought out the big cards.

Key was Turn to Frog ["T2F"] and Adverse Conditions ["AC"]. Kept using Talent of the Telepath ["ToT"] to draw those two cards. Brawler's Plate kept the scion boosted, so that it returned more AP than the casting cost, which was used to bring out Spawning Bed, Breaker of Armies, and Bring to Light.

Murk Strider allowed some bounce effect, Incubator Drones provided more Scions, and Hedron Blade allowed me to one shot all of the big attackers.

Mind Sculpt isn't that powerful at my level, so I mostly used inspiration to redraw ToT, T2F, and AC. T2F has the bonus effect of using up the enemy Mirrorpool.

One Mythic and two rares in the deck. Any of those could be substituted for a cheap support (that doesn't end up always on blue like Sphinx, you don't want to have the AI's ability keep breaking your supports) that boosts your scions, or anything that bounces or disables the enemy. I just wish I had something blue to deal with those support gems.

Had to deal with a couple of those OP Nissa's 30 life spells, which generally meant a nasty wave of 6 AI cards getting played in one turn, but the deck is built to deal with swarms. You just have to slowly whittle the AI's life back down.