Mirrorpool vs Bring to Light: Awaken cards

Options
Plastic
Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
edited July 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Just wondering why Mirrorpool fills the awaken cost but Bring to Light doesn't. Both cards say that the affected card "is free."

Thoughts?

Comments

• PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Just wondering why Mirrorpool fills the awaken cost but Bring to Light doesn't. Both cards say that the affected card "is free."

Thoughts?

don't have either of these cards, but my guess is that mirrorpool just completely recreates the card you summoned. so for example, if you summon and endless one with its awakening cost, you get the 14/14, plus another 14/14 due to mirrorpool. but im guessing if you summon that same endless one without filling its awakening cost, you get the 4/4 plus another 4/4.

as for bring to light, since it isnt actually using mana to summon the creature, it wont be able to fill its awakening cost, it just brings the creature to the board like you would if u didn't play its awakening cpst
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Plastic wrote:

Thoughts?

If you look at the animation Mirrorpool doesnt actually make the card free like bring to light or goggles do. It just fills it up with 30+ mana. There is no spell that casts more than that even with the awaken.... so you end up with a spell pumped to its fullest with mana.

The mana is kind of colorless though. It wastes the spells that have converge. I tested it with painful truths and it literally did 0 damage. But that was to be expected
  • khurram
    Options
    PapiLouis4 wrote:

don't have either of these cards, but my guess is that mirrorpool just completely recreates the card you summoned. so for example, if you summon and endless one with its awakening cost, you get the 14/14, plus another 14/14 due to mirrorpool. but im guessing if you summon that same endless one without filling its awakening cost, you get the 4/4 plus another 4/4.

Wait.. what? So if i summon 14/14 endless one it would be reinforce to 28/28?

Did not know that. I just pulled the endless one from the eldrazi card pack. Gotta test this
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    PapiLouis4 wrote:

Did not know that. I just pulled the endless one from the eldrazi card pack. Gotta test this

Yeah, Mirrorpool says right on the card, "When a creature you control enters the battlefield, Reinforce it . . " It's pretty awesome. I almost never use it to generate free spells.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Guys, my original post is specifically regarding how these two work with cards that have awaken costs. Not creatures reinforced by Mirrorpool.
    khurram wrote:

If you look at the animation Mirrorpool doesnt actually make the card free like bring to light or goggles do. It just fills it up with 30+ mana. There is no spell that casts more than that even with the awaken.... so you end up with a spell pumped to its fullest with mana.

And this is what I'm getting at. Bring to Light should do this also. Fetch a card and pump it with 30+ mana so if the card has an awaken cost, it will be filled.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's pretty sick, isn't it, that you can play Mirrorpool, follow it up with something like Artificer's Epiphany or Natural Connection, and then get a free Crush of Tentacles???
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    PapiLouis4 wrote:

I doubt it. Reinforcing creatures doesn't work the same as it does with spells. It should just be an 18/18.
  • khurram
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Guys, my original post is specifically regarding how these two work with cards that have awaken costs. Not creatures reinforced by Mirrorpool.
    khurram wrote:

And this is what I'm getting at. Bring to Light should do this also. Fetch a card and pump it with 30+ mana so if the card has an awaken cost, it will be filled.

I think JC might tell us the logic behind it. I cant lbe sure why but there has to be a reason they coded it differently than bring to light and goggles. Mirrorpool certainly has to take more factors into consideration than those while working the way its supposed to

Bring to light pulls the card from library while making it free. Mirrorpool has to make the card thats ALREADY in your hand free. Could be that this puts some limitation in some way
  • Netatron
    Netatron Posts: 147
    Options
    khurram wrote:
    Bring to light pulls the card from library while making it free. Mirrorpool has to make the card thats ALREADY in your hand free. Could be that this puts some limitation in some way

Mirrorpool isn't actually coded to make anything free. It just adds 30 mana to a spell. Pyromancer's Goggles, on the other hand, do make a spell free once it's already in your hand.
  • fox1342
    fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm sure goggles does fill the awaken cost. I dont think I've played BtL with awaken. But they should function the same.
  • khurram
    Options
    fox1342 wrote:
    I'm sure goggles does fill the awaken cost. I dont think I've played BtL with awaken. But they should function the same.

Goggles doesnt fill the awaken cost. I have tested.
  • UrbanNinja
    UrbanNinja Posts: 66
    Options
    I have all of these cards

Mirrorpool pays for spells awaken cost. It adds 30 mana to your next spell like someone else mentioned so this covers awaken costs (unless card + awaken cost is higher than 30, but I don't think there's anything this expensive)
    If you clone a creature with awaken cost, it does not clone the awaken cost. For example if you cast an Endless One, your base 4/4 Endless One becomes 8/8 then the +10/+10 is applied

Getting "Free" cards like with Pyromancer's Goggles or Bring to Light does not fill the awaken cost either.

To be honest with you I don't usually play with any awaken card. When I do, I would rather prefer the cards to be same cost / same effect without the awaken effect