720 CP or 36 draw for the last OML cover

jki_23
jki_23 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi all,

I have a max Phoenix at 3/5/5 and a lvl435 OML at 5/4/3. Have been trying to get the last cover for OML for a month by buying the classic legendary token with CP (lost track on how many I tried).

As they just drop the chances of getting OML from 3.8% to 3.0% as GG is moved to classic and only 2% of the 3% can get me yellow or red OML, it is essentially 720 CP or 36 draw (with only 2% chance).

My concern is whether to just try to hit all the events' 25 CP rewards and get 720 CP for it or keep on trying my luck. Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    The draws. Given expected draw rates you would get 4 other 5*s in addition to the OML you need.

A 450 OML is not so much greater than a 435 OML to warrant missing out on 4 other 5* covers.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The draws. Given expected draw rates you would get 4 other 5*s in addition to the OML you need.
    Or has been widely documented, ZERO
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    jki_23 wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a max Phoenix at 3/5/5 and a lvl435 OML at 5/4/3. Have been trying to get the last cover for OML for a month by buying the classic legendary token with CP (lost track on how many I tried).

As they just drop the chances of getting OML from 3.8% to 3.0% as GG is moved to classic and only 2% of the 3% can get me yellow or red OML, it is essentially 720 CP or 36 draw (with only 2% chance).

My concern is whether to just try to hit all the events' 25 CP rewards and get 720 CP for it or keep on trying my luck. Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

I'd play the odds that you'll get the last cover through pulling. If it was 5/5/2 I'd save because I wouldn't like the chances of RNG bailing me out of that.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    jki_23 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks

I'd play the odds that you'll get the last cover through pulling. If it was 5/5/2 I'd save because I wouldn't like the chances of RNG bailing me out of that.

5/5/2 or 5/4/3 sounds pretty good to me, unless u get so many black covers it becomes stupid, i'd stick it out and play RNGesus game.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would wait it out. 36 draws is a lot of useful (champion covers) to throw away.
    How long to wait? it depends... keep hoarding your command points. The more you hoard the more likely you'll have enough pulls to hit the 3%. It's not going to be certain but once you get into 4-5 digits worth of command points, that's 3 digits worth of pulls. By then you should have more champions to benefit more from champion covers too.

Covers expire, command points don't. Rates will change. Wait it out and continue hoarding

edit: My oml is 4/1/4. I don't think I'll be pulling any classic tokens in the short term. The prospect of pulling multiple black/red would just be 4000 iso. I rather hoard until I'm comfortable with getting maxed covered to champion all in one hit. Same with my Phoenix at 4/1/3, the dread of double green is real. Heck, by then I may even get some IM46/cap/gg/bss/future bumped 5* too.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Agree with Pongie.

I have a 3/2/5 OML, and a 5/4/2 PHX. I don't really want to run the risk of pulling OML black or PHX green with single pulls at this stage, so I'm hoarding to above 1K CP before opening classics. Exactly when I open depends on my mood. I guess 1.5K CP would be good. 2K CP even better.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would open the tokens, 36 pulls are a lot (even if you get just 4s, which you won't, that is maybe 4 - 5 5s you don't pull if you buy the cover). Some considerations

- You have just waited for one season, that is almost nothing. Wait at least 3 for that.
    - You can use two covers, so your chances are good (if you had a 5/5/2 then MAYBE I would buy the cover).
    - There is not a lot of difference from a 435 OML or a 450 one. Just that one can be champed and then you will be able to use the extra covers but you still don't have extra covers.

In my particular case, after three useless covers of PH I managed to finally max her when I had her at 5/2/5. My OML is now 4/3/5 and I have already pulled can red I can't use icon_e_sad.gif but I hope next one will be one I can use.

I really HATE having to sell 5s because I have pulled one I already have at 5 when he is still not maxed. This is super annoying. They should fix this, and make 5s covers colorless once you max one color of that particular 5. It is already hard to win those covers, having to sell those for just 2000 iso is depressing.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was quite literally in your very position this past season. If you care enough, you can see right here. Since you're not sitting on 5/5/2 or some permutation thereof, I'd go with the pulls. Given that you pull Logan at all, you've got a 2-in-3 chance of getting what you need.

Then again, if you're already close to 720 you might just be better off waiting it out. Ignore what everyone else says: All the other pulls you might get mean squat against the chance to champion your Logan. Because no one else matters. Others can deny all they like, but there's only one character that you see in 99 out of 100 matches at the highest levels of play, and it ain't Silver Surfer.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:
    Others can deny all they like, but there's only one character that you see in 99 out of 100 matches at the highest levels of play, and it ain't Silver Surfer.

Yep. I'm that 1 dumbass who maxed Surfer without Oml or Phx.
    icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

icon_cry.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having GG added to the tokens makes this an easier decision. His covers are worth getting too, so saving up isn't the right move.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    save 720. then start pulling cp pulls over the 720. then if you hit black, consider using the 720 so you can apply the champ level. more than likely its a yellow or red, but if it lands black, then you have a choice to make. if it lands red or yellow, you have a little party asking rngesus for gg
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    save 720. then start pulling cp pulls over the 720. then if you hit black, consider using the 720 so you can apply the champ level. more than likely its a yellow or red, but if it lands black, then you have a choice to make. if it lands red or yellow, you have a little party asking rngesus for gg

I agree with this very patient strategy, it's akin to not drawing 4* covers if you can't afford the ISO to level them. Instead save 400k iso then open until you're force to max level for the champ level.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

I agree with this very patient strategy, it's akin to not drawing 4* covers if you can't afford the ISO to level them. Instead save 400k iso then open until you're force to max level for the champ level.
    Indeed, that is very very smart, although 720 CP will take about 4-6 weeks.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    So here's my story:
    I had a 5 4 4 OML, and was saving up 720 CP because I knew RNG wouldn't give me either cover. Also, along the way the chances were very high that I would have gotten a high number of 4 star covers I would have to trash. Either it would be a 6th cover for a character that isn't cover maxed, a 13th cover of a character I'm not remotely close to champing, or a 13th cover for someone that's terrible - Starlord, Mr. Fan, Totally Terrible Hulk, etc.
    The probability was very high that I would pull useless covers, so I went with the spend 720 route.
    Then within my first 4 Classic Tokens, I pulled a OML Yellow...
    At least I had enough ISO to champ him, but now my PVP is permascrewed and all I see are 5 star characters with boosted champed 4 stars.

I don't even want to think of what will now happen with my PVE scaling under the new system. Basically any node I can't use OML or Charlies' Angles will be a guaranteed Health Pack spend.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Polares wrote:
    (even if you get just 4s, which you won't, that is maybe 4 - 5 5s you don't pull if you buy the cover)

Which you won't..... I've only drawn a single 5* EVER (GG black). I'm not even sure how many tokens I have opened at this point - It's beyond insane. I've essentially stopped playing because of it.

But I tend to agree that you should continue to pull tokens.... no one can have as bad luck as I do and 720 CP is **** insanely expensive.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea of saving 720 cp, then drawing your cp above that... but I don't think I'll have the patience icon_e_smile.gif

But if I get another oml black or phoenix red (I have 5 of each already), I'll be super duper sad icon_cry.gif