Day 989...and still no usable 5*

HustyReaps
HustyReaps Posts: 45
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Just a bit more frustrated with the RNG gods lately as I look at much younger rosters that have functional 5*s. My OML has sat at 211 for many moons and with the addition of more 5*s, the odds of me ever having him as a viable option in game play is virtually nil. I'm sure there are other close -to-1000 day vets out there that are frustrated with the lack of Lady Luck being on their side. Anybody else in the same boat and want to share their feelings? Goosefraba? Whoosah?

Comments

• spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    how many tokens/cp do you earn a fortnight?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can't really count your pre 5☆ days
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Saw GG in classic, knew first thread would be complaints about OML chances going down.
    Everyone else uses at low covers, why not you?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a 1k day player,

but I am a 700 day player in the same boat (0/1/0 OML here. But at least the RNG gods have blessed me with 1-2 covers for each pre-banner 5*. I even have 6 Phoenix covers, but only 2 purple so she isn't usable either. They all look so pretty sitting up there near the top of my roster doing nothing!) I probably don't open as many LTs as really competitive vets since I no longer belong to top 100 alliances, but it's still pretty damn irritating for me!

That almost counts right?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Opened a second OML to have him at 2/0/0 now! At this rate, he'll be fully covered by 2021.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Saw GG in classic, knew first thread would be complaints about OML chances going down.
    Everyone else uses at low covers, why not you?

RNG has given me a 5-5-1 OML without spending a dime. So you saying everyone else uses at low covers is not quite accurate.
  • HustyReaps
    HustyReaps Posts: 45
    Regarding the number of token pulls...I am in a top 50 pvp alliance. I put up 10k+ per season, which usually gives me a couple 1300 cp rewards, along with the season legendary token. My alliance will have some buyers that generously share cp's as well. I hit the 25 cp reward in pve 50-75% of the time, too. This has resulted in plenty of tokens and cashable cp's to seemingly result in a usable 5*.

To the comment about not being able to count pre-5* days...you are somewhat right...but should it be? The number of days played prior to 5* releases should have resulted in a stronger 3 and 4* roster which should have resulted in higher scores and thus, higher rewards...or more tokens/cp's. This should have increased the odds (relatively speaking) on more 5* pulls. But we know that this is not how MPQ and the RPG works. Too bad for those of us with horrific luck.

Again, this is what we expect. This is my MPQ reality. I continue to play and hold out hope that my luck will change...but truly realize that the Cleveland Browns will become a playoff team before that ever happens.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that everyone who had a decent 4* bench in place on the day that 5*s were introduced is functionally on the same level. I had IMHB maxed in June 2015, and while I didn't whale Thing or JG over the summer, I would have been able to hold my own in a top 100 PVP alliance if I had wanted to, and I was able to complete every 4*ddq event through Thing on the first run.

Sure, people who whaled the top 4*s were able to hit 1300 with less effort than me, but I was basically able to achieve any goal in the game if I had the time/determination/HP for shielding.

I would say that anyone at or above my roster strength in Sept. 2015 is more or less in the same boat with respect to 5*s. They have had plenty of opportunities to collect LTs (basically in direct proportion to their dedication to the game).
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is bad luck. I'm about a year behind, had no usable 4*s when champions hit, and my OML is up to 390 and my Phoenix is 1/5/1 now.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    If you have been hitting every 1.3k in pvp since they changed the rewards to legendary tokens and have got around 3/4 of the final progression cp in pve, then yes it is bad luck that you still do not have a usable 5*. I personally have done about the same as you and my pulls rate is a little below average and i have a few functional 5* already.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    HustyReaps wrote:
    Just a bit more frustrated with the RNG gods lately as I look at much younger rosters that have functional 5*s. My OML has sat at 211 for many moons and with the addition of more 5*s, the odds of me ever having him as a viable option in game play is virtually nil. I'm sure there are other close -to-1000 day vets out there that are frustrated with the lack of Lady Luck being on their side. Anybody else in the same boat and want to share their feelings? Goosefraba? Whoosah?

As someone else pointed out, while you've played nearly a thousand days, you can't really count the days played prior to the introduction of 5* characters as you lament your lack of "usable" 5*.

Well, I mean, you CAN, but the one isn't relevant to the other.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    You people need to stop derailing the point with stupid nitpicking about how to count days played. Just pretend he said, "I've been playing longer and have opened more tokens than a lot of people with champed 5*s, but I still don't even have one that's usable"
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    We have a few in the alliance / affiliates who are in the 900+ brigade without functional 5*.. or 4* for that matter as they didn't play hardcore.

Have also run into a few rosters with 8 cover OML, no champ 4* but can pretty much kick my roster because of that one character.. i'm pretty sure he's pulled less HP than i have and i went through a 0/4x run at one point.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I empathize with you;

Day 901

2/2/1 OML
    2/4/3 SS
    3/1/0 Pho
    2/0/2 IM
    2/0/1 BSSM
    0/2/0 Cap
    1/1/0 GG

I guess you could argue 9 cover SS is usable, but since he's the worse of the bunch, I'm saving ISO.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also sad to hear this HustyReaps.

Day 846 (but like others say, when it comes to 5*'s day ~300 as SS was introduced last September. Had a couple good maxed 4*'s when 5*'s were released, that's all that matters when looking at that number). Similar play style/situation.

3/5/5 Phoenix (RNG lucky!)
    5/0/1 SS
    1/1/1 OML
    1/0/1 IM
    1/1/0 BSSM
    0/1/0 GG
    0/1/0 Phoenix (RNG unlucky)
    1/0/0 SS (again)
    1/0/0 Cap

A looooong way from a 2nd usable 5*. And the game has become incredibly boring with MMR/Scaling/(no other gameplay types) forcing me to use one character basically every single match.

I've been saying since well before I got a useful 5* - RNG-only progression is THE WORST aspect of this game.
  • SnowcaTT
    We have a few in the alliance / affiliates who are in the 900+ brigade without functional 5*.. or 4* for that matter as they didn't play hardcore.

Have also run into a few rosters with 8 cover OML, no champ 4* but can pretty much kick my roster because of that one character.. i'm pretty sure he's pulled less HP than i have and i went through a 0/4x run at one point.

This really emphasizes the terrible aspects of RNG also.

I mean...I read lots that don't think you should get 5*'s just because you stop in and DDQ (or whatever) every day for two years. If you are completely FTP, does longevity really equal loyalty? I don't disagree that just playing casually occasionally shouldn't give you the same rewards as those who have both played a long time (days) and a long time (hours).

But when I had only 4*'s I also saw those with pretty good (could beat any 4* team) 5*'s and no 4*'s at all - should brand new players be able to get 5*'s through RNG and easily beat higher players?

Could be solved by taking OUT the RNG aspect. If instead of one-in-ten, the tenth LT every time was a 5*...that would help. You could supplement this by putting more 5*'s in the daily progression as well - that would somewhat even out the "how much to you play" and "how long have you been playing" curves.
  • Tuttle0606
    Tuttle0606 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Not to put salt in the op's wounds but to show what he is getting at...I'm on day 659 and have oml champed, phoenix champed and a 3/5/4 ss. And the only money spent has been for rosters slots which is about $20 every other month.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sadly in a system relying on randomness there will always be an almost even split over the entire data set for people in every position - that is a new player with wells covered 5* to an average player with average covered ones up to a vet with poorly covered ones.

In my opinion. I still see this as better than everyone at the top with great covered characters and everyone else looking for crumbs.RNG is the great equalizer as those in a priveledged position can't benefit over those not in one.

I sympathize with the OP I genuinely do but if it makes people feel better ask yourself a question - when was the last time you saw a <day 100 player with a fully covered 5*?

I'm sure you'll come to the same answer i did, the reason is they can't earn CP with a fledgling roster. The myth that new players progress faster (in 5* land) than vets is exactly that...a myth.

People at my level sure do (day 345) but we can't be considered noobs really.

I feel for you man, I genuinely do. The only way it'll improve is by making sure you earn as much as you can play every pve and PvP win every 4* few. Good luck if I could donate you my Phoenix covers (2/1/2) i would.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my opinion... RNG is the great equalizer as those in a priveledged position can't benefit over those not in one.
    In my opinion, RNG has created a privileged class in which many players who play the game compulsive are left feeling they've been screwed.
  • SnowcaTT
    People at my level sure do (day 345) but we can't be considered noobs really.

Not noobs - but OP has played almost 3x longer than you! In what sounds like pretty heavy play! That kind of time commitment and roster level should be able to move into 5* land much more quickly.

For example: 2*'s have always had a hard time catching the older (long-time) 3* vets. Then the 3*'s had a hard time catching the longer-played 4* vets. But now 3*'s can simply catch up with the 5* vets, while the 4* vets sometimes can't even transition into 5*!

As far as "Privileged position" - CP with RNG has made a world where mini-whales don't matter but mega-whales lord over us all.

I disagree that RNG is a good thing. The "have-nots" don't have to face only max rosters now - MMR sees to that.