Billy Club vs Peacemaker

Options
theorangemisfit
theorangemisfit Posts: 21
edited July 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Which attack is generally better? Obviously situations apply, blah, blah, blah, but they're relatively similar and I wonder which one to use in lightning rounds.

Billy Club

POWER COST bluetile.png 9
Daredevil's Billy Club ricochets from target to target, striking his enemies with amazing accuracy. Stuns the target for 2 turns and creates a 3-turn Countdown tile that stuns for s turns, then creates a new Billy Club Countdown tile. If you match it, Daredevil catches his club and gains 3 Blue AP.

Note: Countdown tiles always decrement across the board from left to right and top to bottom. If a Billy Club tile resolves and jumps down the board, its countdown can immediately be decremented again, allowing a level 4 or 5 Billy Club to chain-stun an opponent without yielding a single turn.

Peacemaker

POWER COST bluetile.png 12

Captain America gallantly launches his shield at the enemy. Stuns the target for 2 turns and transforms a chosen basic tile into a 3 turn blue Countdown tile that returns 10 Blue AP.

Level 5: Can target any tile (strike, protect, attack and web). Creates Blue Protect Tiles with strength of 342. (level 166)

I think most people would say peacemaker cause of the protect tile and tile overwrite ability, but billy club is also cheaper and has a decent chance at permanently stunning a final enemy, also it's automatic, so if you're lazy or short on AP, that's a plus.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    peacemaker for 3 reasons:

1) overwrite any tile

2) protect tile

3) Cap is better than DD
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    chamber44 wrote:

1) overwrite any tile

2) protect tile

3) Cap is better than DD

4) it's placed instead of random which is vitally important to the life expectancy
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hendross wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:

1) overwrite any tile

2) protect tile

3) Cap is better than DD

4) it's placed instead of random which is vitally important to the life expectancy

5) You get a butt load of blue AP back!
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Another bonus for Cap: with Peacemaker you must actively choose who to stun.
    I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to cycle to the correct enemy to ensure Billy Club stuns the right one.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    To play devils advocate a little......from a TU perspective:

BC is good because it cycles....so you get repeated use. And if its matched away you get blue AP back. There is less of a downside (though it requires better management) to it, with the obvious caveat that placement is random.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think peacemaker dominates in most situations. Both of them cycle unless matched - while you're not guaranteed another shot at peacemaker, it's 1 blue difference. You get to target the tile, which makes it a lot easier to defend.

Not that Billy Club isn't great, especially if you get two cycling on a tough opponent. DD owns Hulk in his PvE event. Get those batons twirling and the big bad can't do anything - no matching, no powers, no anger reprisal.

Still, the only advantage over Cap is a shorter cycle time and lower cost for the initial hit.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I said Billy Club because I seem to get hit with it 3x as often as Peacemaker.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Peacemaker for me...

It's a placed tile which can be used offensively (to stop an opponents match or remove special tiles) or defensively (prevent match5 or AP denial by removing viable matches)

It leaves a very decent protect tile

And it returns lots of blue AP menaning if you have another blue user you can choose which to apply it to.

Someone mentioned DD is better team up and I agree but also consider that if you use peacemaker team up you lose the rolling stun but you get 10 blue AP back for it.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Peacemaker is almost always more versatile, since you can generally eliminate one threat (enemy countdown, special tile) while slowing another (target a different enemy). And if you can get a few protect tiles on the board, you can shut down a lot of damage down the line.

The only real advantage I see for Billy Club is on blue-deprived boards where the lower AP cost comes into play.
  • theorangemisfit
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    To play devils advocate a little......from a TU perspective:

BC is good because it cycles....so you get repeated use. And if its matched away you get blue AP back. There is less of a downside (though it requires better management) to it, with the obvious caveat that placement is random.

Daredevil's advocate
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Billy Club is the better stunning ability, imo, which Peacemaker's real strength lies in the tile overwriting ability.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pretty sure peacemaker's real strength lies in its AP recycling. Being able to overwrite nearly any tile is strong, but being able to do it every other turn is stronger.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Note: Countdown tiles always decrement across the board from left to right and top to bottom. If a Billy Club tile resolves and jumps down the board, its countdown can immediately be decremented again, allowing a level 4 or 5 Billy Club to chain-stun an opponent without yielding a single turn.

.........wot?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pretty sure peacemaker's real strength lies in its AP recycling. Being able to overwrite nearly any tile is strong, but being able to do it every other turn is stronger.
    What I meant was that it's Peacemaker's strength over Billy Club. Both powers can recycle itself (though slightly different mechanics) so I'm not looking at that. However from real use cases, I feel Billy Club is better at keeping an enemy stunned. Peacemaker requires you to make additional blue AP to keep it going even after you gain back the AP and I find that a lot of the time I run out of blue matches to keep it going. Also having to match blue takes my focus off being able to charge other powers. Billy Club is also cheaper and faster to get going.

Peacemaker's advantage over Billy Club in that aspect is that the tile is targetable. But it's real strength is being able to overwrite any tile, but that's a different aspect of the power from stunning.

So, judging as purely stunning abilities, I'd say Billy Club is better. But as a general utility ability, Peacemaker has a wider range of use cases.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:

.........wot?

This is why sometimes when you're trying to permastun a single opponent with two billyclubs out, the sync gets messed up.

Overall, I never use DD unless he's required/boosted, but I find billyclub the more fun ability.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Billyclub for goons, because when you get 2 or 3 of them out, you can rotate and stun the entire team. Peacemaker for named characters, because the protect tile is more useful to mitigate match damage. Yes, Peacemaker can overwrite goon tiles, but it's not quite fast enough to keep them in check entirely, even with Star Spangled Avenger backing it up.

However, Daredevil I find works best with 3Cyc for Ambush soccer, and otherwise is fairly useless. Radar Sense isn't that strong, and Ambush gets overwritten nonstop, plus gets ruined when it's put in a corner. LCap is just more utility overall, and there's little reason to ever use both at the same time, aside from tossing them out during LRs.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Peacemaker 100-0
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I split my vote?

Peacemaker is the better use of blue AP, but Billy Club is a better team-up. As a team-up, if you're bringing it along, it's probably because you don't have a reliable stunner in the team, and Billy Club can potentially stun several times before getting matched away.

To put it another way, Peacemaker suffers as a team-up, because it loses the self-perpetuating factor of providing the same color of AP that was used to fire it.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Can I split my vote?

Peacemaker is the better use of blue AP, but Billy Club is a better team-up. As a team-up, if you're bringing it along, it's probably because you don't have a reliable stunner in the team, and Billy Club can potentially stun several times before getting matched away.

To put it another way, Peacemaker suffers as a team-up, because it loses the self-perpetuating factor of providing the same color of AP that was used to fire it.
    Ah but peacemaker as a team up give more ap (if using a blue user it's awesome) and still has all those original benefits. But I see where your coming from as it has lots of potential
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Peacekeeper is noticeably better unless you absolutely need to get a stun out as fast as possible.

And if you need that you should just being iceman. . .