2* lead to 3* that lead to 4* that lead to....??

rkd80
rkd80 Posts: 376
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The champion cover reward system is half baked and I think D3 has a gold mine on their hands, but are letting it languish.

Right now there is an obvious gap in progression. Between the perplexing covers being awarded by 3*, to certain 4* not being represented at all the whole system could use a rehaul.

More importantly, it seems like there is an obvious conclusion missing which is that 4* should be awarding their 5* counterparts.

IMHB->IM46
JG->Phoenix
Miles->Black Suit
??->SS (not that anyone cares)
etc...

To that end, I think we should significantly increase 3* cover award. Right now a competitive player can at best get 20-30 covers every 6 months. So fully champing/maxing a 3* can take three years. Even if D3 doubles the 4* cover awards, it would still be but a trickle, but still somewhat exciting. The variety of covers can be diversified as well, for example a 3* Clops can award both JG and 4clops - as they both thematically make sense.

It would create a blue print and a plan for all players short of whales who have everything. Something to plan for/build up, etc. A cogent tiered system of rewards that gives a strong sense of progression and accomplishment.

Comments

• TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    some people speculate that they will overhaul the 3 star champ awards to remove duplicates once we hit 40 four star chars. Currently 35 four star chars. (there are 40 three star chars).

Seems unlikely that four star champs will lead directly to particular five stars, as five stars have been almost strictly based on RNG. Pretty frustrating. Only non-RNG is the Civil War event and the daily reward.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    << Right now a competitive player can at best get 20-30 covers every 6 months>>

Not even close to true.

It took me about 6 months to champion ALL the 3 stars. And that was before the generous rewards that they hand out now in PVE.

They certainly don't need to increase 3* cover flow. Actually, it's about the only problem the game DOESN'T have.

Dudemon
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dudemon wrote:
    << Right now a competitive player can at best get 20-30 covers every 6 months>>

Not even close to true.

It took me about 6 months to champion ALL the 3 stars. And that was before the generous rewards that they hand out now in PVE.

They certainly don't need to increase 3* cover flow. Actually, it's about the only problem the game DOESN'T have.

Dudemon
    RKD meant 20-30 covers for the same 3*.
    And he's about right.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    My bad and apologies.

Dudemon
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Exactly what Bow said, now it is still highly profitable to champ ALL the 3* like Aes has done - and I have now returned to doing after running out of any 4* to champ, but the rate of covers for 3* is painfully slow. The painfully slow acquisition of these covers exposes the 3->4* cover reward system as highly flawed, it looks half baked basically. Someone at some meeting thought it was a good idea, but they are letting it die on the vine. It looks incomplete, haphazard and does not offer the kind of rich reward structure that it so easily could.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's what I would do in d3 position...

Its widely accepted that some 4* are complete ****... So nobody uses them (folks like me don't roster them at all) how do you get people to roster AND level them?

Like this..

Invisible woman ---> OML
    Cho ----> 5*Hulk
    Mr F ---> BSS
    Star lord--->Phoenix
    Elektra---> im46

Aaaand boom! People are suddenly rostering and levelling the worst characters in the game.

Note* I actually like mr f, star Lord and Elektra but they're generally considered bad
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    TimGunn wrote:
    some people speculate that they will overhaul the 3 star champ awards to remove duplicates once we hit 40 four star chars. Currently 35 four star chars. (there are 40 three star chars).

Needs to be more than 40 4* since 2 of them aren't in regular rotation, Devil Dino, and Howard the Duck
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Another three months or so should see us at the amount of 4*s required to make a 1-to-1 correspondence. If nothing happens at that point I'll be (mildly) surprised, but I don't expect any overhauls until that point.

What I'm really hoping for is that they'll release the 42nd 4* on the day of the anniversary, along with a complete re-balancing of the rewards structure to account for a full 4* meta. 4* DDQ nodes, 4* PvPs, 4* champions giving specific 5* covers, a reduction of the leveling cost for 4*s up to level 200, the works. All the stuff that made the 3* tier have an actual meta.

I hope for this because I am a relentless optimist, not because I actually have any evidence to think that the devs are interested in making a fun game.