professional mpq players

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Maybe a wee bit of jealous one's envy here, but how much time/money do you have to put into this game in order to max out new characters within a week of release?

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couple hundred dollars per character. But that's just a drop in the bucket compared to what the people with max level champion 5* have spent.

That said, there's also a lot of players that have been at this game for a long time and have lots of resources saved up.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Couple hundred dollars per character would mean existential problems for us in less advance economics than the US. The prices for ISO and HP are too high for us in Central and Eastern Europe. Meaning - some of us will never be there, just consider the early maxed 5* and 4* as Lamborghini which you occasionally meet on the streets downtown, and the guy riding it as a whale icon_e_wink.gif
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone else click on this thread thinking, "Professional MPQ players? Someone gets paid to play MPQ?"
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone else click on this thread thinking, "Professional MPQ players? Someone gets paid to play MPQ?"

hehe, you become professional as soon as you have sponsors right? So I would assume that kids with unlimited access to their parents credit cards can be considered professional MPQ players icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couple hundred dollars per character.

I don't see how the math works on this - the ISO alone would cost a few hundred. Plus, a Stark only buys one 40-pack with some change left over, and I have to imagine you'd need at least three 40-packs to have a good chance at getting all the necessary covers.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:

I don't see how the math works on this - the ISO alone would cost a few hundred. Plus, a Stark only buys one 40-pack with some change left over, and I have to imagine you'd need at least three 40-packs to have a good chance at getting all the necessary covers.

I think having the resources stockpiled meant the ISO costs were covered. Also, if all your characters are championed, you only need ISO when you level a new one. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    gravel wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    <br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">I don't see how the math works on this - the ISO alone would cost a few hundred. Plus, a Stark only buys one 40-pack with some change left over, and I have to imagine you'd need at least three 40-packs to have a good chance at getting all the necessary covers.
    <br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">I think having the resources stockpiled meant the ISO costs were covered. Also, if all your characters are championed, you only need ISO when you level a new one. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Yeah it really depends on the player. I maxed and champed War Machine during his PVP thanks to two great 40 packs (9 covers total), lucky token pulls, (2 covers) placing well in the release (4 covers), and coming first in the PVP before his (1 cover). I leveled him with stockpiled ISO so the whole thing cost me less than $100 in HP.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aesthetocyst: I think they are called "masters tours"; that sounds better than "seniors" in our ageist society. icon_e_smile.gif
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    First you have to bust your hump (or luck your way into) a t10 finish in a release e event, and be in a t100 alliance. Time required varies from almost none for a bracket snipe to ~18-32hrs over the course of a grueling 7x24 release event. You get 4-5 covers and are off to a great start.

Now you 'only' need 960-1080cp and 370k iso. That probably sounds like a lot. But if you play all events and have a roster full of champs you can average 25-40cp/day (or more!), and 20-30k iso/day (or more!), so if you have the self control to save it all, and the .... uh ... dedication to maintain this pace, you can afford to whale a 4* every 4-6wks. All on time, no money required.
    Oh my god. ALL THAT and it still takes 1 to 1.5 months? A new character comes out every other week. That level of dedication and you're still constantly falling behind? (WAY behind, mind you.) And yeah, each 5* has to be much, much worse.

Also I'm amazed that someone can generate an average of over 25 CP/day. Wow.
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2016
    How are 4* players getting 25-40 cp per day?

2 per day from pve

Another 6ish per week from top finishes in pvp, call that 1 a day.

Let's take the best case scenario and say 50 from pve prog rewards, that's about 7 a day, putting us at 10. And add another 2 per day from top 2 finishes in pve subs

Add in another 1/day for the monthly 25cp fairly rewards. That's 13 per day.

Where are the other 12-26 coming from? Just champion rewards? That seems unlikely. About 1 of every two 4* champ levels rewards cp (either 3-10 cp depending on level, but how many people have 310+ 4* champs). But getting even 12 cp from that would require 6+ 4* covers per day in the best case. 3*s champs yield much less cp).

Edit: but i did forget 75 cp from 1300 rewards. That's 10.5 per day right there.

So 20-25 per day seems reasonable for players that get the top rewards in every single event (which means they can't be more than 1-2% of the playerbase).

40 doesn't seem possible until players get 4* champs in the 330+ range where each cover can produce 8 or more cp. How many players are 1st that level now? I honestly have no idea, but I don't see many people with lots of 320+ 4* champs , even when scanning through the PvP season presented. Maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the top alliances like X-Men or the Olympus have that strong a roster.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where would three 1300 pvp progression prizes put you?
  • How the in the Holly hell can someone get 230 CP in 10 days?
  • Vhailorx
    Thanks for the numbers aesth!

I think that your 26/day or so includes several atypical features. 18 from your alliance is surely above average (and doesn't even count the peggy rush from last week); that's likely around $300 in purchases. Surely a random selection of 20 players in the game do not spend so much every two weeks?. You also include VIP rewards, which somewhat contradicts the underlying point that top tier players can get enough cp to whale without spending cash. As you point out, the 2* cp rewards were not a repeatable source, since re-champ'ing takes longer. Also, how many, if any, champ covers came from purchased packs? Because those are also not a sustainable source. And finally, you have very high level 3* champs (3*s produce cp about every 12 levels, so you should have gotten 3 or 4 cp rewards from your 40 champ levels. 28 cp from 3 or 4 rewards means you are in the 240+ range.

But you have convinced me that 20/day is a reasonable expectation for a 4* roster that plays multiple hours per day every day.

I would like to see more data about champ'ing cp. Seems like a pretty solid source for those that combine lots of champs with enough regular play to produce a steady supply of 3* and 4* covers. It is also be source that gets better as a player reaches higher champ levels.
  • Vhailorx
    Hmm, level 191 produces 3 cp, as does level 203. Level 215 produces 4.

So to get 28 cp, you must have hit cp 6 or more times with 40 covers. That's definitely above average. So that was some very good luck.

18 cp from alliances means something like $15 per person in a full alliance, over the course of 12 says. I would guess that a dollar per day spent us above the mean even for top 100 alliances (and certainly below the median since the top 10 alliances probably skew things significantly).

By "sustainable," I meant without the need for real money transactions, since this whole discussion was prompted by your comment that elite players can whale 1 4* every 4-6 weeks without spending cash.

Overall, I think the takeaway is that champ'ing kespecially 4*s) and the 1300 cp are the best sources of cp in the game by a pretty wide margin.

Ugh, now I feel more compelled to shield hop for 1300, but I really don't want to spend money on HP (or time grinding in pve to make the same HP) and 1300 generally takes me 75-300HP per event.
  • Vhailorx
    Oops, my mistake. You meant to say that you had all 40 3*s champed, I thought you meant that you had added 40 champ levels over the recorded period.

In any event, given you champ levels, you should have added something like 70 champ levels to hit cp 6+ times. Do you earn 6-8 3* covers a day? That seems on the high end, but not implausible.
  • Vhailorx
    At this point in the game, that's looked on as madness. "What?!? Blow dozens of shots at the 5* lottery on a 'lousy' 4*? No way!" icon_lol.gif

To be fair to everyone, I'm not sure it isn't madness to 'waste' CP covering a 4* after one has 4 or 5 very strong 4*s champed. the gap in functionality between a 4* and a 5* is very significant, way more so than the marginal value of adding a 6th or 7th 4* champ to a roster that already has the top tiers (rulk, iceman, cyclops, etc)
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    And here I was, proud of my previous stash of 2000 command points saved over several seasons that I hoarded, then pulled before the rates went up. Guess I'll crawl back into my hole in shame...