3* and Champion priorities

DFiPL
DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
At what point do you stop worrying about who the best 3* characters are to champion and start worrying about which unchampioned 3* have the cover rewards you want?

I have 38 max-cover 3*, and 19 of those are championed. Of the rest, I'm finding myself increasingly seduced by cover rewards rather than the merits of the character him/herself.

Beast isn't my favorite 3*, but I'm tempted to champion him next to get those Jean Grey covers rolling. Same for Ragnarok, but I could use more X-23 covers.

That sort of thing.

Comments

• Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    My advice would be to do this once you have a roster that you're confidant that can sustain you until you start the 4* transition. Remember, championing the 'bad' 3* wont pay out right away either, it'll take 17 dupes to earn the first 4* cover. I'd also encourage leveling any good 4* before champing all 3's, if possible.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back when champions rolled out, I made a spreadsheet an assigned a score to each of the 3*s as a method of helping me to decide. For me, it came down to 3 factors:
    - How much ISO they required to reach 166 (for the characters at lower amounts)?
    - How many covers I had in my 14 day queue (I had a bunch because I waited to open Standard/Heroic tokens once the rumors about the feature got stronger)?
    - When does the oldest cover expire?

I set a scoring scale for each of those, added them up, and then assigned some coloring (green/yellow/red) based on the total value.

At the time, though, my only high level 4* characters were Wolverine at 270 and Thor around 200. All the Top Tier 4*s were missing too many covers to be worth increasing at that time, which meant I focused on championing XFW/Thor:GoT and 2*/3* characters first.
  • DFiPL
    Meander wrote:
    My advice would be to do this once you have a roster that you're confidant that can sustain you until you start the 4* transition. Remember, championing the 'bad' 3* wont pay out right away either, it'll take 17 dupes to earn the first 4* cover. I'd also encourage leveling any good 4* before champing all 3's, if possible.

Well, I don't PVP much. I for sure don't push for 1k in PVP because I won't pay for shields. I typically get 300-400 points when I play, and sometimes I might push higher than that, but before the most recent MMR change, 650 was my ceiling.

But the roster I've got does nicely with non-heroic events. It's gotten to the point, though, where the 19 3's I have are characters I seldom use anyway. So, yeah, I have them split into two tiers - some which got leveled to 130 a while ago, and some which only got leveled to 125 - but they're all kind of in a similar boat.
  • DFiPL
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Back when champions rolled out, I made a spreadsheet an assigned a score to each of the 3*s as a method of helping me to decide. For me, it came down to 3 factors:
    - How much ISO they required to reach 166 (for the characters at lower amounts)?
    - How many covers I had in my 14 day queue (I had a bunch because I waited to open Standard/Heroic tokens once the rumors about the feature got stronger)?
    - When does the oldest cover expire?

I set a scoring scale for each of those, added them up, and then assigned some coloring (green/yellow/red) based on the total value.

At the time, though, my only high level 4* characters were Wolverine at 270 and Thor around 200. All the Top Tier 4*s were missing too many covers to be worth increasing at that time, which meant I focused on championing XFW/Thor:GoT and 2*/3* characters first.

My first group of champions - Groot, Rogers, Black Panther - were dudes I was using regularly. The second group were characters who take the plywood to my **** when boosted - Magneto, Cyclops, Doom. The third group were characters I discovered synergies with my existing champions - Widow and SWitch as examples.

I'm into Phase Four now, where I have like 7 130+ left and a dozen 125's. There's some characters in those 19 who I enjoy using but don't really prioritize - Falcon, Vision, Doc Ock - but many of the 125's are 125 for a reason: I rarely use them.

What worked out completely on accident for me is that many of my early 3* champions have cover rewards for my most viable 4* - Fury, Ant-Man, etc - so after I start getting a few champion rewards, I'm going to have some usable 4* characters. Essentially all of my current champions yield usable covers, but some of those 4*, like She-Thor and XFW, are still lightly covered despite having had them forever.