Open letter to D3 (not a rage quit)

2»

Comments

• Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    There's a simple fix to mmr in PvP that means you can use whomever you like without getting punished...

Mmr matches based on the 3 characters you choose rather than the 3 best on your roster.

Fancy a match against a 3* team...pick a 3* team.

That way all your roster is usable all the time. And you're still always pitched against people at your level so there's no advantage to selecting a lower tier team except variety.

It's an interesting idea but would mean a significant change to the game mechanics; you'd have to choose your team before seeing the nodes.

Why would that be a problem? Choose your team then 3 nodes with teams of a similar level are presented to you.

Seems fair, simple and positive. I actually cant think of a negative reason for doing it.

The only issue is that some people will complain that a 2* roster would, theoretically, be able to score 1300 against other 2* opponents. Where now when they get to 400 points they'll hit a wall of people way above their level.

I don't see it as a huge problem though since its not as though those players are getting easy matches they are still getting opponents equal to their level. You could say actually that they would still a problem pushing past 400 since there won't be many teams with a decent number of points past that Mark at the 2* level.

I didn't say anything about a problem, just a change. And, with respect, it looks like you're thinking of it solely from the end-user perspective, not that of the developers.

Currently there's something like:
    Functional block A, display opposition choices
    Functional block B, select your team (taking into account event-specific limitations)
    Functional block C, fight using outputs from A and B

I'm ignoring control flow.

You're suggesting:
    Functional block B, select your team (taking into account event-specific limitations)
    Functional block D, display opposition choices using outputs from B
    Functional block C, fight using outputs from D and B

Cloning block A to give an initial version of block D, changing it to use a passed team and use a completely new algorithm to find potential matches, that's non-trivial.

Maybe they'd consider doing this. Maybe.