% Doctor Strange %

ErikPeter
ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
edited December 2016 in Speculation and Concepts
Haven't really specced for the 5-star tier before. It's hard to decide what colors would best fit into the meta. He is focused on support/utility and does a bit of AP conversion. npxo His Yellow would create the strongest Protects in the game (at a pretty steep AP cost) and his Red has potential for an insanely strong hit. Consider him a work in progress; please comment.

Doctor Strange star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png

purpleflag.pngEye of Agamotto 8 purpletile.png AP
    Stephen Strange raises his amulet, channeling the mystical energies of the Eye of Agamotto and revealing his enemies' secrets. Creates 1 Charged tile of every color (unless a Charged tile of that color already exists), and reveals all enemy Trap tiles. (PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy matches a Charged tile, place an Attack tile of Strength 150.
    5 covers: Strength 450. Level 450: Whenever an enemy matches a Charged tile, place an Attack tile of Strength 1800.

yellowflag.pngBook of the Vishanti 9 yellowtile.png AP
    Stephen's mystic tome contains powerful defensive magicks. Creates 1 Protect tile of every color (unless a Protect tile of that color already exists) with a base of Strength 105; if your team has 3 AP in the matching color, reduces your AP of that color by 3 and creates a Protect tile of Strength 400 instead.
    5 covers: Creates a Protect tile in each color of Strength 225, or Strength 600 instead. Level 450: Creates a Protect tile in each color of Strength 900, or 2400 instead.

redflag.pngCrimson Bands of Cytorrak 9 redtile.png AP
    Stephen conjures the impenetrable Crimson Bands of Cytorrak to envelop the target, stunning them for 2 turns. Deals 802 damage and drains your team's largest color pool, dealing 160 additional damage per AP spent.
    5 covers: 1700 damage and drains your team's largest color pool, dealing 360 additional damage per AP spent. Level 450: 6400 damage and drains your team's largest color pool, dealing 1380 additional damage per AP spent.

Comments

• moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I haven't been looking through this section of the forum for very long, but this is one of my favorite builds I've seen here. It's interesting, thematic, powerful/fun, and holds well to what I believe the 5* design aesthetic to be.

I wish when Doc Strange is released he would be built similar to this.

I think I would go purpletile.png5 yellowtile.png3 redtile.png5.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    This is a great build.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    How do you like your build vs what game out? I appreciate how you got choose two powers with the right names.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Obviously they're really different. IMO Strange is a little too much like his 3-star version, his purple power scales like a low-tier character. With one cover all he only removes Attack tiles, which isn't very useful against other 5-stars (mostly helpful to reduce the team damage from Phoenix and Banner, I guess). Still, his yellow is a game-changer, but I think there's room for a protect/AP heavy build like I specced above. I think the character designers aren't sure what they want to do with Protect tiles; if you make them too strong then most fights would be trivial, so they make them too weak to be much of anything, and too expensive. But then you've got Luke Cage who can make fights trivial, and he does it for free. I think my solution above--making decent Protects for 9 AP, or very strong, game changing ones for much more (up to 27) AP--would be an interesting attempt, at least. The one-per-color restriction also prevents the protection from multiple activations stacking with each other.