The checks and balances of scaling

smkspy
smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I have 19 champed 3 stars, one 13 cover 4 star, several 4 stars with 7 or more covers, and 4 five stars.

I was seriously considering championing my one 4 star Ant man, but then noticed how my champed 3 stars essentially equal my 255 five stars when boosted.

So it got me to thinking about scaling. Having a lot of champed 3 stars (mostly cause they're boosted in pve to 5 star levels) makes it look like you can add 5 stars to make scaling seem appropriate for your level and still be able to roster the best characters in the game without worry.

However, this leaves the dilemma of leveling your 4 stars. I've got several that I can push to 188-200ish, BUT if those characters are boosted in a pve they out match my unleavened five stars making my scaling harder.

This to me is a check on my potential to level 4 stars until I get all 3 stars champed and attain numerous extra covers.

Once that goal is achieved, I can focus on boosting my four stars until they match my boosted 3 stars in pve.

From there, having many 4 stars at much higher levels, i can start leveling my 5 stars.

So is this the new meta for leveling characters and progressing scaling without it drastically destroying your game play? Does this solve the scaling problems of 5 stars for those other than newbies that luck upon 5 stars?

If so, then what is the base soft cap that I should start putting 4 stars at so that when they are boosted they fall into at or near my 5 star 255 level?

Leveling characters characters shouldn't be such an algebra like equation....

Comments

• We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    From what I can tell, you've got it correct. The reason for leveling characters seems to be because people figure that by doing so they'll finally reach a level where they are not getting constantly attacked in PvP, but that simply is not the case. After the realization sets in that THAT level is not high enough, they repeat the process of trying to become the baddest MF of all time and it doesn't take long before it's shown to not be sufficient.
    Limiting levels to the highest boosted character's max, that's the sweet spot.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is pretty much a dilemma I have right now. I have 5 3*s left to champion and once I've done those I plan to start leveling my 4*s. I currently have 5 well covered 4*s all sat at level 150. My highest 3* is currently at 183.

I cant decide whether to take my 4*s up to 200 once my 3*s are done or if that will then push my scaling too far up.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Scaling and working it out is a nightmare...

But this explains it quite well.

We are in almost the same situation with 1 major difference... The 5*s - I have only one

I had been selling them when I got them as when I originally had 2 my scaling went off the chart - pre champions - but someone in another post told me to stop selling them because of my 3* champions... So they must equate close to a 5* for scaling

Since I kept him though I have noticed on average in PvE's that the normal nodes are now starting at level 189 instead of 171

I'm not a big PvP player but I did play in the 75yr Peggy event and noticed those match ups a little harder than usual too
  • smkspy
    I was the same way, when championing was introduced I only did my 2 stars. Every 5 star other than jean that I had four covers to I sold off. But now with so many championed 3 stars, I see adding a 5 star doesn't really affect my scaling since I have those boosted characters to round out the scaling equation.

yet I know that if I level my 4 stars beyond my boosted 3 stars, I might get screwed if those 4 stars are boosted beyond five 255 level cap.

now I have no fear of rostering any 5 star that I get, since I'm focusing on championing the remainder of my 3 stars, yet, I also know that I have to soft cap my 4 stars so they don't exceed the 255 level that my 5 stars bring to the game.

It really puts the 3 to 4 star transitioning player into a bind because 4 stars provide better playing, but their high levels can potentially ruin your scaling for any event.

This isn't so.much a complaint but more an observation of how scaling and leveling up your characters works in the game now.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Are boosts to 4* the same amount of levels as boosts to 3* in pve?

I never thought of that. I was thinking of champing one of my 4*. But now I may reconsider.

I mean champing one 4* should be ok as scaling takes the average of your 3 strongest characters. Also 1 out 40 4* you got champed. What are the chances of the boost landing on that character for any given pve?
  • smkspy
    I don't think it's so much leveling one 4 star to champ level, but it is having several...leveled to the point that when boosted rise above your 5 stars.

Yeah, I can champ my Ant Man right now, but if I boost the 8 other 4 stars to 188-200 , two or three of them get boosted for the pve they will exceed my 255 limit for 5 stars and drastically affect my scaling for the event.

This not only affects gameplay, but also the ability to use other boosted characters for the event that you might have not leveled.

Essentially, though the devs claim that you don't have to max every character,you're actually hurting yourself by not maxing them because of the way boost affect scaling now.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Honestly, this really all depends on the capabilities of the 4* character. I have 30 championed 3*s, but my 4* progress is still super slow. I have six 5*s with 6 covers, 4 covers, and the rest at 1-2 covers tops. None of them are leveled - they are all still sitting at 255.

For 4* characters, I have 4Thor champed, IW at 13 covers at permanent level 111, 12 cover Nick Fury at 188, and most other characters are 1-8 covers at best.

4Thor is a solid 4* tier character, and even though my scaling does trend 15-20 levels higher overall on the hard and essential nodes, I barely notice because she absolutely demolishes the nodes when coupled with IM40.

I would imagine Ant-Man wouldn't mess things up too much either. He's not the best for PvP, but from what I've heard, he's solid in PvE. There are plenty of mediocre 4*s that might make things more of a challenge if they are boosted and your only good 4*, but it's nothing like adding a 5* character onto a 2* roster.

It might be a reasonable idea to bring a solid group of 4-5 4* characters to around level 200 if you want to approach it from a more optimal perspective, but for my roster, scaling in PvE is largely fair to a minor challenge at worst (excepting that EotS test reaching deadly...).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    thing is, a top-tier 4* champ will hit much much harder than a boosted 3 in the mid 200s. and when he's boosted he'd wreck shop in the 300s and all your others are 200s. pve that week becomes easy because that top tier 4 in the 350s is just so good. unless you can reliably cover 5s without 4s (pretty hard to hit 1300 with 3s - not impossible, but not practical). personally I would not want antman as my only 4* champ. covered or not, he just doesn't hit that hard except in very specific circumstances (EotS is an example). I don't think it would hurt anything to take him to 200 or so, but not higher. wait until one of the big5 or next tier gets covered.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Set antman to 5 blue and purple, pair with im40 and patch. Enjoy easy street.

In pvp, oml black strike tiles can be stolen by precasting blue when opponent is at 9 black.

Also use grow once all tiles are stolen
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    I just want to call out the devs on this. This whole conversation shouldn't be happening. Having a character boosted should never make the game harder than it was before. Players should never be in a situation where they don't want to level characters up. Improving characters should always benefit the player.

I know it's been said elsewhere, but a great solution to this would be to allow players to set their difficulty level, and with higher difficulty comes better rewards. Sound familiar? That's because it's been hugely successful in Diablo 3.
  • 3claws
    3claws Posts: 3
    I just want to call out the devs on this. This whole conversation shouldn't be happening. Having a character boosted should never make the game harder than it was before. Players should never be in a situation where they don't want to level characters up. Improving characters should always benefit the player.

I know it's been said elsewhere, but a great solution to this would be to allow players to set their difficulty level, and with higher difficulty comes better rewards. Sound familiar?

I completely agree. Thus game is starting to feel like if you spend money and your odds work out for you, the game penalise you by not only making the lvls harder but makeing aome mission next to impossible. Iv spent over 400$ on this game and there in PvE the final mission are impossible, even if i use maxed boosted. There is nothing i can do to complete some of these mission and its starting to get very anyoing. They sould really fix the scaling. Or have a difficulty setting.