PvP nice guys

loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As has been pointed out, this PvP did something unusual where there are static 4* rewards at both 800 and 1000 points - and for a new character, no less. I did ok in the PvE that gave out Peggy and even managed to snag her from the 75 yr vault so I thought: I'll go for it. The problem: I am a casual player by this game's standard. I've been playing since a few months after release, but I only play about an hour a day, with some days getting up to 2-3, and rarely 3-4. Now, this is not casual by my own definition: playing a game for an hour or two every day is hardly casual. But in this game, that means after 600+ days I'm still in the 3* -> 4* transition, with zero viable 4*s. My best PvP team is Cage + Fist, or Daken + Fist for speed. None of these are above 170. Also, I avoid PvP placement rewards because they're so hard for me and take too much time, so I am completely out of my element.

First, let me say that the way PvP works is a mystery to anyone who isn't already intimately familiar with how it works. There is NO in-game information about shielding, the fact that you have countdown timers for shields, or why you can still get attacked after shielding and lose points (check your placement immediately or you will get hit!). Also, the tips section of this site lists a bunch of made-up rules that no casual player is going to understand. I understand the idea of "no double taps" and I can respect that (although it's extremely difficult to keep up with names - I don't know how you guys do it - and I usually just try to remember teams instead), but things like waiting for people to shield and not hitting someone immediately - I have no idea how to go about doing those things because I don't have access to all the mountains of out-of-game information that other people do.

And I know that other people coordinate because there are absolutely bullies. I had a shield up overnight and was unshielded for about 30 mins before I woke up and got attacked like 9 times in that window. Maybe it was a coincidence or maybe it was coordinated, but watching 200+ points evaporate in seconds sucks. It's extremely demoralizing to PvP, especially as someone who just stuck their toe in the deep end. I have to think this keeps people like me out, which I also have to think is worse for the game overall since that means you don't grow your end-game numbers. But who knows, maybe other people don't care.

But the reason for this post is because of the nice guys. I had finally gotten to 900 points and shielded, and was taking my time to REALLY skip a lot and find something that wouldn't slay me, and I noticed that some extremely kind people - who had to be WAY above me because they were worth 60-70 points - had rostered 1* characters. Guys, I can't tell you how awesome that is: that is the only reason I managed to hit 1000. I have no idea who you are because I never look at names but you are great. You are absolutely helping folks get their low-hanging 4* covers, and my hat is off to you!