dual color PW

ShawnP1
ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
So I'm saving up crystals to get a dual colored Planeswalker and I'm not sure which I should get.
Edit: I have been considering R/W allies, B/R eldrazi and well Kiora is Kiora,
I love blue the most but Kiora is very expensive. I have been considering saving crystals up until they introduce a blue red Planeswalker but that could be a while.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kiora if you are willing to save that much!
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Is Kiora worth nearly double Ajani or Sarkhan? Would it be better to get one of the others?
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    ShawnP1 wrote:
    Is Kiora worth nearly double Ajani or Sarkhan? Would it be better to get one of the others?
    if you have the right cards kiora is easily the best, she runs through anything easily. if you dont have the card pool for her id pick someone else
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Bang for the buck, Ajani is better. He has access to a lot of low-mana, high impact creatures and removal spells, plus he has removal himself.

If price isn't a consideration, and if you have the right cards, then Kiora is pretty good. She can ramp, draw cards and make something really big and beefy your opponent will probably have a hard time dealing with (though cheap kill spells are starting to creep up more frequently).

In PvP mode, Ajani tends to close out games quicker. A lot of Kiora's better cards have lots of animations on them, plus they can take a while to set up. In the recent event, Kiora was really useful.

Sarkhan is a lot of fun, but his abilities aren't that relevant. I run Akoum Stonewalker, which creates temporary elementals when someone landfalls, and will use Sarkan's 2nd ability to turn the token into a 5/5 dragon. Or I'll sac a Despoiler of Souls, make a dragon and the Despoiler of Souls will regenerate, but for the same 9 loyalty, Gideon II or Garruk will just make an 8/8 creature with no tricks necessary.

Bear in mind, whatever you do get, it will take about 160,000 runes to fully level a 2-color planeswalker.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Sarkhan is arguably the worst of the dual-colored planeswalkers ATM due to his lack of speed, but being both red and black gives him a very large number of control-based options: black's creature removal and red's support removal. If you have some actual dragons to put into a deck with him, Sarkhan gets that much better and faster! Also, sacrificing a dragon and then following up with a reanimation spell to bring it back immediately can be extremely powerful.

Ajani has a lot of early game aggro tactics alongside plenty of control as well, but the control usually needs a follow up to actually remove creatures since Ajani focuses a lot on disabling if you don't have certain removal spells that don't rely on disabling creatures. Then again, Ajani doesn't always need to actually remove said problem with spells. Ajani also has built-in lifesteal with his second ability, which is a very nice bonus.

Kiora has always been a community favorite - having access to blue's wide variety of control plus green's mana ramp and beatsticks means Kiora can get wildly out of control very quickly. Unfortunately, strategies revolving around Kiora have unfortunately been nerfed (see Day's Undoing and Noylan Dar changes in 1.5 patch log)... but that doesn't mean Kiora has been made weaker in terms of speed.
  • It will really depend on what your goal is, if it is quick battle Kiora is a beast as well as Ajani.
    Sarkhan really shines in PvE if you have some rares and a couple key mythics, just like Kiora. I have access to Infinite Obliteration, Demonic Pact, and Dragonmaster Outcast, so I am beginning to save up for him.
    Sarkhan has access to forced discard, cheep creature and support destruction, direct damage, temporary creature control with sacrifice, board shake, and a little life-gain, which is very control heavy for very cheep. It also has cheep card draw for a health or creature cost, keeping your had full.
    This is a good setup for PvE, when you need to customize a deck to fight a particular problem. If they are heavy support, run demolish and smash to smithereens. If they are running large creatures, run grip of desolation and exquisite firecraft. If they are running small creatures, go for Cards like Languish and Chandra's Ignition, if they go hexproof, go with deathtouch. You can design a deck to remove your specific problem, since he has cheap options for almost any type of removal, most of them being uncommon or rare.