Team Advice

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
For tournaments I'm currently running C.Storm/Magneto (Now)/whatever the buffed character is, and in normal games I'm putting in Thor. I was wondering if there was a better and more synergized team that I could be using through pumping some ISO into. I've only got 300 HP so I can't buy any covers for anyone at the moment, though if I hit 500 I might upgrade Black Widow (Original) in black or Magneto (Now) in pink.

Storm (Classic) Lvl 85 5/5/3
Magneto (Marvel Now) Lvl 61 3/5/5
Ragnarok Lvl 46 3/2
Magneto Lvl 44 0/4/1
Captain America Lvl 42 5/5/3
Iron Man (Model 35) Lvl 41 5/5/3
Wolverine (Astonishing) Lvl 41 3/5/4 (respect to 5/5/3)
Thor (Marvel Now) Lvl 40 4/4/5 (going for 3/5/5)
Storm (Modern) Lvl 38 5/5/3
Black Widow (Modern) Lvl 35 5/5
Invisible Woman Lvl 34 1/1/0
Dr. Doom Lvl 34 3/1
Daken Lvl 30 5/1
Wolverine (Patch) Lvl 30 2/1/1
Loki Lv 28 2/1
Black Widow (Original) Lvl 22 3/1/4 (going for 3/5/5)
The Hood Lvl 20 2/1
Psylocke Lvl 18 1/1/2
The Punisher Lvl 15 1/1/1
Daredevil Lvl 15 0/2/0
The Hulk Lvl 15 1/1/1
Black Panther Lvl 15 0/1/1
Black Widow (Grey Suit) Lvl 15 1/0/1
Iron Man 40 Lvl 15 0/1/0
Spider Man Lvl 15 0/1/1
Thor (Modern) Lvl 15 0/0/1
Ares Lvl 12 4/5/2 (not sure what to respec him to)
Hawkeye (Modern) Lvl 6 1/2/5
Moonstone Lvl 6 2/1/3
Bullseye Lvl 6 2/3
Juggernaut (Classic) Lvl 1 5/5
Venom (Dark Avengers) Lvl 1 5/5

Comments

• The 2* don't really have any real game breaking abilities that warrants spending HP to upgrade their covers unless you're very desperate.

You don't have a lot of covers so I don't see anything interesting that can be done in the short term. You might want to consider using shields and try to get some 3* and then see what you have to work with. Take some time to study what are the points you need for a finish. If you can net a 3* cover for a 3 hour shield (75 HP), that's a perfectly good trade given you pretty much need all kinds of 3* covers. After you've some covers to work with then it'd be meaningful to discuss who to level up.
  • Are there any particular 3*** characters that I should be most focusing trying to attain covers for? If they're a focus in a particular token pack I might try my luck at getting them. For my 2** characters I've heard that Wolverine (Astonishing) and Ares can be useful and I was wondering if they might be a good fit into my team.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Check out this: Polarity's Comprehensive Guide on Going From 1* to 3*. Has a list of the high/mid/low tier characters for each star level and reasoning behind the rankings.
  • Are there any particular 3*** characters that I should be most focusing trying to attain covers for? If they're a focus in a particular token pack I might try my luck at getting them. For my 2** characters I've heard that Wolverine (Astonishing) and Ares can be useful and I was wondering if they might be a good fit into my team.

There are some obvious choices but it is pretty prohibitive to buy packs just hoping you'd get lucky. You're better off just spending 1250 HP on upgrading the 3* you already have. I see that you got The Punisher at 1/1/1. He's a very solid choice and it'd be far more reliable spending 1250 HP at a time then hoping you'd actually get something useful out of tokens. Of course, you really should try to earn some more covers first and see whatever happens to fall your way. Take some time to see what the top 10 usually falls under in your bracket and once you get a feel of what kind of score is necessary, start using shields whenever it looks like you have a good shot at getting at least one 3*.

And if you're unable to get anywhere close to top 50, then I'd just spend 1250 HP on The Punisher as you get HP, since you have all the covers for him already. Hopefully you can win enough covers in general to not have to do that. You should level up whoever you happen to have good covers for. It's true certain characters are more powerful, but if you happen to have 10 covers for say, Psylocke, you might as well level her up over a 1/1/1 Punisher, for example.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron is urging you forward to 3* territory, when what you should be doing is finishing your 2* team(s). Phantron's advice only makes sense if you're willing to shell out quite a lot of real-world money. Otherwise, your best bet is to check out Polarity's thread.
    mags1587 wrote:
    Check out this: Polarity's Comprehensive Guide on Going From 1* to 3*. Has a list of the high/mid/low tier characters for each star level and reasoning behind the rankings.
  • stowaway wrote:
    Phantron is urging you forward to 3* territory, when what you should be doing is finishing your 2* team(s). Phantron's advice only makes sense if you're willing to shell out quite a lot of real-world money. Otherwise, your best bet is to check out Polarity's thread.
    mags1587 wrote:

He said he's thinking of buying 2* covers at 500 HP or certain characters packs. Spending 1250 HP to upgrade The Punisher is a far better investment than upgrading any 2* cover for 500 HP or hoping you'd simply get lucky on a token roll. It doesn't matter if he has a lot or very little HP. You'd never be better off buying token packs when you can just use the same HP to upgrade covers, and he already has all the covers for The Punisher.

Your goal is always to try to get a 3* cover in a PvP tournament unless you have no room on the roster for a marginal 3*. You've to be talking about pre nerf Thor/Wolverine level of power to even contemplate purposely not getting 3* for a 2*. Now, if you can't hit top 50 then obviously you don't got a choice there, but if it's possible to spend 75 HP for a shield to get a single a 3*, you should do it. Do it enough times and you'll have a 3* that's workable.