Crystal spending advice

Options
2»

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sarkhan is also amazing, but you probably need some dragons for him.

Actually, you don't. What you need are creatures that spawn other creatures, which you can sometimes convert into dragons. Or, creatures which, when they die, can come back to life.

My current Sarkhan list has no dragons:

Unholy Hunger (kills creatures)
    Despoiler of Souls (can come back to life for 3 mana)
    Grip of Desolation (kills creatures)
    Demolish (kills supports)
    Exquisite Firecraft (sometimes kills creatures, sometimes hits opponent)
    Sure Strike (I don't have any berserker effects, so this is mostly just 3 extra damage for 1 mana)
    Akoum Stonewalker (makes temporary elemental tokens when anyone landfalls)
    Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet (makes zombie tokens when opposing creatures die)
    Transgress the Mind (keep disabled in hand to pay for Despoiler of Souls regeneration, or force discard if opponent is powering up a big card)
    Priest of the Blood Rite (makes demon creatures - BTW, if you already have 2 creatures, you can lay down Priest and then replace Priest with the demon, and you won't get the Priest's drawback).

Whenever I have 9 loyalty, I usually convert something into a dragon. Otherwise, I just let things ride.
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    At pve event i beat every boss except valakut (and kozilek because i cant face him). Will Gideon II help me to beat valakut?
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    I am at the spynx atm and cleared everything so far with a level 28 Kiora. She's still very weak, but my deck has things like Harbinger of Tides, Prism Array, Roil Spout, to remove his creatures, Undergrown Champion, to defend me, Noyan Dar to deal damage and Mirrorpool.
    I don't care that Kiora has low life pool at the moment and her skills are all rank 1, except the first, which is rank 2. The cards that a combination of blue and green allows me to play are enough to create a strong deck which allows me to defeat an opponent like World Breaker.
    That's why I'm saying to go for a dual colored planeswalker instead of a mono one. The spynx is the only one so far to give me troubles because of hexproof, but I'll make some modifications and I'm sure I can clear the whole event with Kiora.
    See what color combination can give you a strong, fun and different deck and go for it.
    Of course, it differs from person to person. I have a friend with whom I play paper magic from time to time and he plays only mono white. While most people in paper magic play dual colored decks (or even more than two) he doesn't want to hear about other colors and of course he bought Gideon2 instead of a dual colored planeswalker. Gideon2 is great for an ally deck, but it's not impossible to make a strong ally deck with the original Gideon imo.
    Overall, I think you should go for whatever you like playing and probably whatever you have the cards to built a strong deck with.
  • Barrelrolla
    Barrelrolla Posts: 289
    Options
    Update: I got to Kozilek using only level 28 Kiora, she got 29 somewhere on the road. Kozilek was a bit hard though, because at this low level, Kiora's mana gain is very low. Matching 4 gems ia rare, so buffing my UC was almost impossible. I did put a good fight, but he got me. So I decided to try Sarkhan. He's not much better, at lvl 36, but at least Tyrant of Valakut can kill his Hexproof creatures. And I won first try.
  • parasith77
    parasith77 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I finally bought Gideon II (thank you all for your help!) and leveled him to 60. With that guy i was able to beat down Valakut and Kozilek!

THANK YOU!!!
  • VladG0015
    VladG0015 Posts: 48
    Options
    Personally I'd recomend getting Ob Nix.
    Building for his ultimate is easier yhan you think. Even if you fill your deck with nothing but kill spells he'd still be OP. He supports himself very well.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am reconsidering ob nixilis.
    Probably can come in handy for "kill X creatures" objective.
    The ultimate could help finish the match fast after the objective is done.
    If I am not getting at least one dragon in decent time I will buy him before sarkhan.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Collected around 900 crystals and can't decide between buying kiora or buying packs.
    what are kiora's stats at level 60 for gems and abilities ? I do not have powerful mana generations and creatures from green but have some decent cards from blue from.
  • EDHdad
    Options
    Unless you have almost zero cards, I'd buy Kiora over packs. The last Big Box I bought had 3 cards in it that I didn't already have.

Kiora's first ability is -6 to drain 6 mana from your opponent and add 6 mana to your mana pool.

Her 2nd ability for 12 is to fetch the first creature in your library and give it 16 mana. It's possible to build a Kiora deck with your biggest creature as your only creature and just win. Even if that creature is an uncommon (Desolation Twin works great).

Her 3rd ability for 24 is to put a 32/32 Octopus with Reach and Trample into play. Technically, it's 4 different 8/8 Octopus creatures, FWIW.

She generates +3 mana on Green and Blue, and +0 mana on other colored matches.

Her starting life is I think around 105.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is there any dual colored PW getting added near future and around when?
  • EDHdad
    Options
    Is there any dual colored PW getting added near future and around when?

They never announce these things in advance. There are no 2-color walkers in Oath of the Gatewatch. In paper Magic, Oath does have a new Nissa (green) and a new Chandra (red), but who knows if / when those will be released?

The next set in paper is called Shadows Over Innistrad. It has 4 planeswalkers - a new Jace (blue), Arlinn Kord (red-green), Nahiri (red-white), and Sorin (black-white). At the rate Magic Puzzle Quest is going, it could be 6 months or more before you see any of these, and even longer before they're available for crystals.

In all of Magic, there are 2-color walkers in every color combination. So far, they've come up with 3 and there are 7 more 2-color combinations. There are also some 3-color walkers in the history of Magic - Nicol Bolas (blue-red-black), Sarkhan Unbroken (green-blue-red), and the soon to be released Tamiyo (in the set after Shadows over Innistrad), who is blue-white-green.

They could release 7 new planeswalkers tomorrow, or they might never do another Legacy planeswalker again. Who knows?

Personally, I'd be inclined to just pick the best I can when I have crystals and/or runes.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I want Ral Zarek on mtg pq red and blue shenanigans
  • EDHdad
    Options
    I'll take Garruk, Apex Predator (black-green).

First ability: "Destroy another target planeswalker".

Quick Mode will take like 15 seconds.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    During the last event I spent 1200 manacrystal.png on 2 BFZ Big Boxes. As a F2P, that's a lot of manacrystal.png !

I got zero Rares/Mythics from the BFZ cards in those two Big Boxes. Thanks to the OTG bonus boosters I got those two guaranteed Rares (one of which was a duplicate).

So, even though I have no manarune.png I will be spending all my future manacrystal.png on Planeswalkers. I would not be able to cope with another zero Rare/Mythic big box.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks EDHdad
    your absolutely right there is no guarantee a new planeswalker is going to be released any time soon, I've been waiting for a red/green planeswalker but your post convinced me to finally take the step and buy Kiora and she is fantastic though not worth 950C, her second ability is killer and access to crush of tentacles has been blowing my mind.
    I'm definitely going to look at saving my gems and buying the other dual planeswalkers over packs, the packs are simply not worth the risk.....