Puzzle Warriors 3 Episode #45!

XaOs72
XaOs72 Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This episode:

* Special Guests! Artist Jae Tsai, Designer Paige Pettoruto, and Associate Producer Anthony Novak, the people behind Peggy Carter join us for an interview about Peggy!
* Peggy details!
* R104!
* And, this week featured character : Elektra

http://www.puzzlewarriors3.com/pw3-e45.html

Comments

• jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    XaOs70-Snu-Snu!
  • saj14saj
    saj14saj Posts: 23
    I just don't believe there is some perspective or character combination that the entire player base is missing by which Totally Anemic Cho is useful or balanced.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    It's a good thing you guys interviewed Demiurge cause had I interviewed them it wouldn't have been so friendly. Really, all characters are balanced? This perfectly demonstrates their mentality and why the game is so stale. Oh yea, great show BTW!
  • Koffitok
    Koffitok Posts: 87
    Thanos wrote:
    It's a good thing you guys interviewed Demiurge cause had I interviewed them it wouldn't have been so friendly. Really, all characters are balanced? This perfectly demonstrates their mentality and why the game is so stale. Oh yea, great show BTW!
    I think it's more that all characters are 'balanced' but maybe not in optimally useful ways.

e.g. They could make an ability that says "if there are 50 web tiles on the board, deal [a whole ton of] damage" and it would be balanced by the fact that the math works out, but maybe not in usefulness because it's an absurdly high tile requirement.

I'd like to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and believe that Hot Dog Stand might be balanced in that its cheapness is offset by the tile requirement. So even though it seems entirely unuseful in the short term, it'll average out over time to a mathematically 'balanced' state.

You could say that maybe a more expensive Hot Dog Stand with a higher blue tile threshold is equally balanced, but that version would be more useful (please do that, devs).
  • Dark Nova
    Dark Nova Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Another great show to add to the collection - well done, guys! Also great to see that you've been stickied to the top of the page where you belong! icon_cool.gif

The interview with Demiurge HAS to become a regular thing, it was informative, entertaining and totally rebuked the commonly-held belief on this forum that no-one in the company gives a tinykitty about game development! Forget community videos, this podcast collaboration is the way forward. More please!!

I have a shared appreciation for Peggy's powers, but why is no-one discussing her biggest utlity in the game? SHE BREAKS GALACTUS!! The cost of his insta-death black power was reduced to 28 (from 30) when it was realised that, for 8AP, Star-Lord's red countdown tile would prevent it from ever firing. Now Peggy's yellow will PASSIVELY produce the same effect! And if she gets paired with Hood......wow, won't take long for Big Purple to get shield bashed into pulp!!

And on the topic of purple, the tiles in the game are NOT! I don't care what colour the designers intended it to be or how Deadpool describes them, but if you add enough white to a tin of purple paint then at some point it will eventually become pink. We have reached that point. I may agree with Craig about Beta Ray Bill being the most ridiculous created-by-someone-on-a-high character in the Marvel universe, but when it comes to colour identification we are apparently in different realms! icon_e_wink.gif
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Dark Nova wrote:

And on the topic of purple, the tiles in the game are NOT! I don't care what colour the designers intended it to be or how Deadpool describes them, but if you add enough white to a tin of purple paint then at some point it will eventually become pink. We have reached that point. I may agree with Craig about Beta Ray Bill being the most ridiculous created-by-someone-on-a-high character in the Marvel universe, but when it comes to colour identification we are apparently in different realms! icon_e_wink.gif

From different screen shots, I think a lot depends on whether you're playing on PC (tangent: Will the game ever get built for Mac?) or mobile. The mobile tiles definitely look more pink except for the very bottom tip; the PC ones (from other folks' screenshots) are more recognizably purple.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Thanos wrote:
    It's a good thing you guys interviewed Demiurge cause had I interviewed them it wouldn't have been so friendly. Really, all characters are balanced?

I believe all characters are absolutely balanced by whatever metric they use to determine balance. I also believe that (right or wrong) charge tile creation and targeted tile destruction factor very heavily into why Cho is "balanced."

If anything, it shows their relative value for certain things (*cough CHARGE TILES cough*) is out of alignment with reality.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, they're balanced except for the two everybody uses.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Loved the show guys as per usual glad to be a patreon of the show keep up the great work.