No PvP points if your match goes past end of event?

jcseely
jcseely Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
If you start a PvP match a few minutes before the end of the event and win, is it true that you get zero points for the match?

Twice in a row now I've started matches with less than 5 minutes before the end of the event. I won both the matches, but the after-battle screen says "Points earned in event: 0" and I ended up in 26th place both times, just a few points behind the 25th place finisher, which means two lost 3* covers.

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    At the time that the event ended you hadn't earned those points, so they didn't count towards your total.

It is a shame that they don't let you sneak in one more game in both pve and pvp, but that isn't how it works and to be fair, I can understand their reasoning for doing it the way they do since it means everyone gets the same amount of time.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol, keep the app open for two days and then finish the match and get the points. That would be hilarious. Everyone would have to wait to get rewards to see if said person won or lost the match two days after event ends.

Any matches (won or lost) finished after event end do not count towards final event score. So you didn't "lose" any covers.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I've been notified of matches I lost on defense after the event ended. I'm happy to say that they didn't retroactively take back the prizes that I had won and drop me to a lower prize bracket. Points after the end of the event works both ways.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    I've been notified of matches I lost on defense after the event ended.
    Allow me to introduce you to my good friend server lag...
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would be in favor of some sort of grace period. Cut off starting new matches at one time, but accept wins/losses for the next... 2 minutes? 3? I don't know what's a good duration, but getting no points for finishing 10 seconds late because Loki keeps cascading purple and shuffling feels bad.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would be in favor of some sort of grace period. Cut off starting new matches at one time, but accept wins/losses for the next... 2 minutes? 3? I don't know what's a good duration, but getting no points for finishing 10 seconds late because Loki keeps cascading purple and shuffling feels bad.
    There is so little strategy and skill left in PVP - this is one of the last things with a learning curve.
    How much time to I need to reliably finish my lined up nodes before time expires?

LRs are a good training ground for that.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I'm about to win a fight, I wish they counted... when I'm not winning, I'm glad it isn't counting.

Those extra 2-3 minutes grace would be less grace and more punishment as I can imagine all the points lost from breaking and people tagging you... then people will try to hop the last minute and begin to include the grace period... then complain when their fight goes past the grace period and they don't get the points... and want a grace period for the grace period.

If you can gain points, you have to be able to lose points in MPQ's eyes. Grace Period is a double edge sword.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    For placement, they don't count if you finish after the slot closes.

I believe they changed it in a semi-recent update for progression. If you were trying to hit a certain point to get a prize, you still get the points. They may not be enough points to get the prize, being dependent on your opponent's placement when you decided to hit them, but if you were at 990 points and just trying to get one more match to earn that cover, I think it still counts.

I could be wrong. I'm recalling an update announcement but I've never actually been in that scenario.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    When I'm about to win a fight, I wish they counted... when I'm not winning, I'm glad it isn't counting.
    If you're losing, put down your phone for a few minutes and then retreat.