Visions of Brutality

fox1342
fox1342 Posts: 174 Tile Toppler
Black 22 spell, uncommon
Give " When this creature deals combat damage, you take damage equal to how much damage this creature dealt" and unblockable to target creature.

**** am I supposed to do with this?

Does "you" = creatures controller, so that at least we're both on the same clock? ( I don't think that's how it would work in paper, you=you not controller). Is there some benefit to losing life total for black PWs? It's insanely expensive given black doesn't have free spells. Even if this just cost 2 I couldn't see how to play it.

Most cards there's a reason you could play them. There are usually better cards available, but every creature is worth casting if you didn't have anything else. I can't even see a reason to play this if I didn't have any other spells.

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    I think the idea is that you can play it on opponents creatures, but it is not really clear. Definitely too expensive. I'm really down on self-damaging effects as your HP carry over between games unlike in paper magic.
  • ShawnP1
    ShawnP1 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    In paper its what? 2 mana right?
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    fox1342 wrote:
    Black 22 spell, uncommon
    Give " When this creature deals combat damage, you take damage equal to how much damage this creature dealt" and unblockable to target creature.

Does "you" = creatures controller, so that at least we're both on the same clock? ( I don't think that's how it would work in paper, you=you not controller). Is there some benefit to losing life total for black PWs? It's insanely expensive given black doesn't have free spells. Even if this just cost 2 I couldn't see how to play it.

Most cards there's a reason you could play them. There are usually better cards available, but every creature is worth casting if you didn't have anything else. I can't even see a reason to play this if I didn't have any other spells.
    This card is rather... unusual... in terms of HOW it should be played. This card is a literal "win condition" when played properly. It's best used as an anti-defender card - playing it on a defender that's about to literally dismantle your board and you can still get your damage through to your opponent's PW while devastating the defender at the same time! Or you can put it on your biggest attacker to bypass a defender... and end the game that way too. Not to mention it's a nasty way of countering Undergrowth Champion...!
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    HomeRn wrote:
    This card is rather... unusual... in terms of HOW it should be played. This card is a literal "win condition" when played properly. It's best used as an anti-defender card - playing it on a defender that's about to literally dismantle your board and you can still get your damage through to your opponent's PW while devastating the defender at the same time! Or you can put it on your biggest attacker to bypass a defender... and end the game that way too. Not to mention it's a nasty way of countering Undergrowth Champion...!

Good point, I'd hate to see this played on my 32/32 reach trample octopus the turn before his three guys crashed into it.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    HomeRn wrote:
    fox1342 wrote:
    Black 22 spell, uncommon

So basically a really overpriced removal... :O

Yes it has some application like undergrowth champion.
    But it is so situational that should literally cost half the mana(and I would still not run it, but could understand some running it).
    If you are so worried about UC you can use bounce or disabled I.e. Use another deck

Or

In the new set there is also a neutral spell +3/-3 to target creature till end of turn. Couple it with weight of the underworld and you can easily kill almost any UC(or bring to the level where your creatures can).

I am still surprised how can it still happen that some cards are made so blatantly unbalanced(op or worthless).
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    @Morphis - I wouldn't really treat it as removal though. It's better used as a reversal or "win condition" option.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    HomeRn wrote:
    @Morphis - I wouldn't really treat it as removal though. It's better used as a reversal or "win condition" option.
    Judging by the examples the same win can be achieved in most cases using removal

The fact is: since this game has a 3 creature limit and the same creature goes in reinforce, usually no more than 1 blocking is in game.
    So unless killing that blocking creature is uneffective(gets not killed/is resurrected/spawns another blocker) visions is not better than removal.

The problem is that removal is almost alway useful in other cases and also much more cheaper to cast.
  • PapiLouis4
    PapiLouis4 Posts: 113
    Morphis wrote:
    HomeRn wrote:
    Judging by the examples the same win can be achieved in most cases using removal

The fact is: since this game has a 3 creature limit and the same creature goes in reinforce, usually no more than 1 blocking is in game.
    So unless killing that blocking creature is uneffective(gets not killed/is resurrected/spawns another blocker) visions is not better than removal.

The problem is that removal is almost alway useful in other cases and also much more cheaper to cast.

i agree, this card seems only useful to use against an UC and considering black doesnt have a bounce to get rid of the UC like othe colors, it may seem useful in this instance.
    however if you really want to deal with UC as black your best bet is to use the -/- spell cards, or void winnower icon_eek.gif