Should I sell or should I go deep...

warwick2424
warwick2424 Posts: 8
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Morning guys,

Bit of advice needed please.

I currently have all the 3*'s, but non championed. The highest it at level 158 iirc. I have a good range of 2*'s, and all are champed, but not to max level yet. I think the highest sits at about 130, and a I have a few around that level. So.....

Going by the accepted scaling calculations, this is how I work it out

158+130+130 = 418/3 = 139

So, my average level is 139, and that seems to make sense, as the baddies I play against in PvE tend to be around that level

Anyway, I got drunk at the weekend, and pulled the LT I was saving (damn you alcohol...why did I wanna play??!!). I pulled 5* Cap America, the Red cover. So, if I roster him, my scaling will jump to this...

255+158+130 = 543/3 = 181

So, unless my maths is useless, its a jump of approx 40 levels. Will this severely cripple me? I virtually exclusively play PvE (and obviously DDQ), as I know my roster isn't strong enough yet to play PvP to any level. So, and the simple question is, should I sell my highly prized 5*, or should I battle on regardless, and be handicapped for a while until my 3*'s start to take over from the 2*'s?

Cheers

P.S just to keep in with the forum, need more ISO, useless RNG, cascades cheat etc etc

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    First of all, welcome to the forums! While I'm sure your post will get moved to the Roster and Level advice subforum of the Tips and Guides forum before too long, I'll jump in here for you.

The general recommendation is to have a foundation of maybe 10-12 or so championed 3* characters that, when boosted, sit around the same level as a basic un-leveled 5*. Your calculation based on the generally accepted formula seems correct.

If you have several fully covered 3*s in that range, you could try rostering Cap and see how the scaling looks before making a decision on whether to sell or to keep. 130 may not be a terrible baseline, but you aren't going to want to deal with the scaling with a large base of 3* characters without 11-13 covers. 2*s are helpful, but if they're not max level, you might find a tough time of it.

Basic tl;dr... if you have a well-covered base of 10-12 3* characters with 11-13 covers among your level 130 characters, you might be okay rostering Cap. Give it a go and see how you feel. If it's too tough, sell him.

By the way, while it may seem that way, this place isn't always gloom and doom. I can get snarky myself, but I find this a good place to connect and have good discussion about the game we all (hopefully!) love to play.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cap is the worst of the 5*'s
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Considering how difficult this could make it to reach 25CP in PvE (and therefore hinder your future chances of getting other 5*s), I'd sell.

I've done similar stuff in the past. No regrets (well, except accidentally opening those LTs).
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Anyway, I got drunk at the weekend, ...

I've always thought that LT pull rates would eventually drive forumites to drink icon_twisted.gif
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Keep. You're not taking boosts into account... with your 3* around 130, you're likely to have boosted characters in the ~200 range already, maybe ~230 if they're featured. That makes the scaling difference less pronounced. 5* are rare enough that you don't want to throw them away, and I think you'll find the match damage for seeds/trivials to be very helpful if you're trying to clear quickly.

I'm not that far ahead of you- I have only 8 3* champed, highest at 177. I've had 5* since before any 3* were champed, and the scaling was never a dramatic problem. I think this concern is generally waay overblown on the forum. If you've moved past the place where your 2* are doing all the work for you, 5* won't cripple your team.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good advice above.

A few additional thoughts.

Once you have several champable 3*s, you can probably handle a single 5* in terms of scaling )since boosted 3*s are in that 240+ range.

5* cap is probably the weakest 5*, but red is a decent power. And any 5* at all will give you a useful tool for grinding low level pve nodes (love dat match damage!).

So maybe roster now and see what happens? You can always sell at no loss of it's a single cover.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    yup, once a few champed 3 stars are in your roster, you are good with a 5. When I got my first 5*, I had probably 0-1 usable 4 stars. My 3 stars were all higher in level than my 4 stars.

Besides 5* are great meat shields, Use them that way. Protect your more vulnerable 3* with a 5*. It's much easier to use one health pack to heal the 5* because he/she soaked up all the damage.

Regarding saving LT and CP and even tacos. I hate saving them. I only ever save taco tokens for health packs. My thinking is that I am not sure if I am going to play a lot in the future so why save them? It helps me kick the addiction of this game if I have no rewards waiting for me. I can't justify playing more of the game, if there's no potential of good rewards waiting for me (it's all false hope anyway, since most of the tokens I open are not that great). It's also a great motivator if all of a sudden I gain a 5* from a single token.