Matchmaking

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Figure this out already! Tired of being looped through the same 3-5 opponents. none of which are potentially winnable.

How long will this go on for before a serious attempt at fixing it happens?

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

https://www.google.com/#q=mmr+site:d3go.com

Type in any year since 2013 in that search you want and you'll see the history of bad MMR, from 3* now to 5*. It's been a problem since launch, and they have never seemed to find a good solution.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    This MMR during LRs is ludicrous. I'm sitting at 100 points, ranked in the 600's but I can only see the same 5-10 teams with maxed/champed 5*s. Excuse my language but this is **** horseshit. Now I can't play LRs because I've committed the most egregious of sins, I have a decently leveled 5*. D3 can lick my sweaty taint.
  • jredd
    what would happen if they scrapped mmr and just made everyone who is unshielded selectable?
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    jredd wrote:
    what would happen if they scrapped mmr and just made everyone who is unshielded selectable?

New players would get destroyed and quit the game almost immediately.
    3* players would get destroyed and quit the game soon after.
    4* players would take a serious beating and quit the game soon after that.

To get rid of MMR, they'd have to go to a tiered event system where you can select your event difficulty (2* and 3*, 3* and 4*, 4* and 5* ect). Many have been suggesting that for awhile now but the devs haven't shown any signs of being interested.
  • jredd
    at any rate, they need to do better. you should't ever get in a situation where there are no viable options.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    In this last pvp, all the available opponent rosters were:

OML / Rhulk / Carnage
    Carnage / Rhulk / OML
    Carnage / OML / Rhulk
    Hood / IM40 / 4hor

Guess which person I hit multiple times icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, guess what roster I myself was using as well icon_e_smile.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Boosted Rulk/Carnage was a nightmare for my champed Phoenix. I couldn't use my typical purple -> purple -> red combo because Carnage would give me too many friendly tiles resulting in more black attack tiles coming back at me. So I'm usually trying to take out Carnage with match damage only (PITA when he has 30k health), and wasting time matching away my own friendly tiles. And then when I finally do get rid of Carnage I have to deal with Rulk Seeing Red every time I make a match, which mostly just slows the battle down, but often generates cascades which can get painful. I hit my 1300 and dropped a 24h til the end - not dealing with this one anymore at all.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Boosted Rulk/Carnage was a nightmare for my champed Phoenix. I couldn't use my typical purple -> purple -> red combo because Carnage would give me too many friendly tiles resulting in more black attack tiles coming back at me. So I'm usually trying to take out Carnage with match damage only (PITA when he has 30k health), and wasting time matching away my own friendly tiles. And then when I finally do get rid of Carnage I have to deal with Rulk Seeing Red every time I make a match, which mostly just slows the battle down, but often generates cascades which can get painful. I hit my 1300 and dropped a 24h til the end - not dealing with this one anymore at all.

This is my biggest problem with everyone wanting a tiered system...a team of 3 boosted, champed 4* characters is never going to be anything but a huge PITA. You know what I'd like to see happen? Get rid of boosted characters altogether. No more boosts. Give the character that's featured in PvP a slight boost since its their event if you must, but make every other character fight at whatever level they actually are at. THEN tier off the game. 2-3* PvP, 3-4* Pvp, 4-5* PvP - choose one and only one at the start of the event, scale rewards proportional to the difficulty you select. You want to talk about team variety? That's how you get it IMO. Heck, I would probably play quite a few 2-3* events just to use some of my older characters that are collecting dust. **** rewards be damned, it would be fun to dust off those characters and use them again!

Why not take it a step farther? Tier off Story mode too. No character boosts other than maybe a small boost for the 3 essential characters if they absolutely MUST have level boosts. Choose your difficulty at the start of the event. Easy - only allows 1, 2 & 3* characters, scaling caps at 166 for the hardest nodes. Normal - allows 1-4* characters, scaling caps at 270. Hard - allows any character, scaling caps at 450. Now scale the rewards to match the effort...Easy mode rewards 3* covers as the best available reward, Hard mode awards 4*s, etc etc...this has been suggested 1,000x by 1,000 people. It makes perfect sense, why isn't it being implemented?

Remember the "No Holds Barred" PvP event? Where it was just any characters you wanted to use, no boosts, just a bare knuckle brawl? I miss that event...

kudTzLrE.jpg
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    that would actually be very player friendly. when I went through the transitions I was all about efficiency and maximizing things as soon as possible. that meant leveling a pvp pair in my 3* transition and later my 4* transition. right after I leveled my pvp pair in 3*s in when they started boosting and my pvp pair became much less effective. since the number of good 4s was so much less, jeanbuster still did the job for a long while. but all that said to say....this would significantly reduce the number of characters we would feel compelled to level. would reduce it from maybe 15-20 desired 4*s to about 8. there would really be little reason to level x23 or xfw. just the std t5 plus 4thor and xp and maybe one other. that's literally all you need. and don't even need that once you get a good pair.

boosting was actually brilliant on their part, and then later championing. those 2 things are the ONLY reasons to level 70%-80% of the characters in the game. but was also effective in providing some variety in team compo. I think consistent unboosted events would be very boring fighting the same hb/rulk and cyke/ice teams over and over, or higher levels, OML/rulk or OML/xp (we at least have OML/boosted now and that changes). the highest level of the game has the xf/4thor problem again with oml/phx - no reason to do anything else other than gobby and maybe im46 right now. once they start boosting 5s, you might see some SSs or others leveled.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    ...this would significantly reduce the number of characters we would feel compelled to level. would reduce it from maybe 15-20 desired 4*s to about 8. there would really be little reason to level x23 or xfw. just the std t5 plus 4thor and xp and maybe one other. that's literally all you need. and don't even need that once you get a good pair.

boosting was actually brilliant on their part, and then later championing. those 2 things are the ONLY reasons to level 70%-80% of the characters in the game...

I honestly can't decide if I agree or disagree Moose! icon_lol.gif

See, I think I disagree on a personal level, but agree on the broader, whole-playerbase level. You're probably right, most players will just play the team that hits hardest and the fastest. But not everyone, and it might start to spread. See, personally, if all 4*s were presented at varying levels from 270-300 (not seeing many higher then that except for the über-whale class, but I don't count those), I would use a significantly larger portion of my roster in every event. Maxed 4*s (for the most part) can beat any other maxed 4*, so for me it would be a much more interesting game of choosing a pair of characters to specifically combat the team you're facing. JeanBuster you say? Quake/Antman are here to save the day, stealing all of HB's special tiles and making AoE only Jeannie look like a chump! Cyke/Iceman? Here comes Miles/Invisible Woman to lock the green matches so Ice cant make them and then make everyone invisible. Can't touch us! *que Hammer dance* Rulk giving you fits? Bring Nova and try to juggle him all match with Rocket Man (I've actually successfully done this, it was a blast!) That, to me, is a far more interesting game then looking at a list and saying "Welp, guess I'm playing Wingus and Dingus all week" simply because they're boosted...
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Back to the RHulk, Carnage, OML portion of this thread, I only saw 1 of those and I hit it over and over. What I saw mainly was RHulk, Phoenix/SS, OML. I hit those depending on levels. I also saw a few Championed Gobby (100K health), Phoenix/SS/RHulk, OML...that one I said hell no. I still climbed to 1900 without a shield (started about 24 hours from the end) and drop caked for others to climb off me as this is the off season. I could have easily taken first, but whats the point. I would really like to see more variety to the my playing. At one point I had a retal node against a sniper I didn't want to give away, so I had 2 open nodes and continued to scroll through 3-4 same names as everyone was floating. That is asinine that I was only seeing 3-4 players, all worth 30-40 points except 1 who was worth 75 but was a member of an alliance that my alliance had a truce with. Finally I had to hit the sniper node and more opened up, but those should have been available to me in the other 2 nodes. BTW, I was around 900 at the time. Would really like to have more variety that my roster sees, otherwise, like a lot of vets that are quitting, I may have to join.