Viewing spells your opponent casts

Options
VanniVan
VanniVan Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ Suggestions & Feedback
So when your opponent casts a spell, the card for this spell only appears on-screen for less than a second before disappearing, and then the spell processes. This can be really frustrating/confusing when trying to figure out what is happening on the battlefield, especially if you're not familiar with the spell being cast. What would be great is the addition of an option in the settings menu to either delay the clearing of a spell card when it is cast, or to toggle on an "OK" button when a spell is cast, so you can clear it after you've read the spell card, and now you have some idea of what is about to happen. Does this sound reasonable?

Comments

• Sinslayer5
    Sinslayer5 Posts: 45
    Options
    VanniVan wrote:
    So when your opponent casts a spell, the card for this spell only appears on-screen for less than a second before disappearing, and then the spell processes. This can be really frustrating/confusing when trying to figure out what is happening on the battlefield, especially if you're not familiar with the spell being cast. What would be great is the addition of an option in the settings menu to either delay the clearing of a spell card when it is cast, or to toggle on an "OK" button when a spell is cast, so you can clear it after you've read the spell card, and now you have some idea of what is about to happen. Does this sound reasonable?
    Global options like that would slow down all of your games accordingly, though. If you're brand new, every card is new, but eventually you may just want to check on one new card every 10, 50, 200 games...

Thus, I would advocate for a "Last Spell cast" space in the AI side of the board, similar to how you can view the top of your opponent's graveyard in paper MtG.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    Something like this would definitely be good.
    Since this is a mobile game, sometimes I play it while doing other things, especially when it's working through a long series of animations. Seeing out of the corner of my eye that something unexpected happened, I don't have time to see what it was before the spell has gone.

More useful would be a full graveyard browser, since some cards (Cruel Revival etc) strongly care about what's in there, other cards (Akoum Phoenix, Kozilek's Return) are relevant even when they're in there, and I've frequently made mistakes with Jace's middle ability trying to get back Talent of the Telepath or Turn to Frog but forgetting that in the meantime I've cast some mediocre bounce spell.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Totally agree this is needed. Recently, had a spell cast against me, picture seemed to be of a bull's head? a minotaur? maybe? then I just sit back and watch stuff happen without having any idea what's going on. No way I know what half the spells are unless I already have it in my inventory. And what am I supposed to do otherwise?

Perhaps a sidebar of some sort that shows previous round's spells or actions?
  • TimWebko
    TimWebko Posts: 22
    Options
    it does tell you the name - which means you can then look it up in the Inventory after the battle...

Which is how I found out what Exert Influence does - evil spell to use against a Koth deck in full flight, it stole my +15/+15 Frog...
  • Upstartes
    Upstartes Posts: 98
    Options
    If this was something you could toggle in settings, then it wouldn't slow anyone down who didn't want it.

Another option would be a button that shows you the last spell played by your opponent.
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A turn history would be great, then an option to turn off animations and games would fly along.
  • Damien74
    Options
    I think it's VITAL that you can see what card are in play. Enchantments mean. Very often you can't see what card is played by the opponent and also hard to remember your own if you play a lot of games.
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would really like to be able to browse each players graveyard and exiled cards time stamped as they are cast. This is very important, essential even, for certain cards, and to be able to see and read the cards cast. Examples of how it is necessary are Lilliana and Jace abilities to return last creature or spell in a graveyard.
    Also the casting cost of cards should be displayed on the card at all times since for some reason it is removed once it is in play. While they are at it, supports should have their initial shield value shown on the card like casting cost is (thanks http://decktester.com/ for doing this on your site!)
  • TimWebko
    TimWebko Posts: 22
    Options
    I find I can usually remember the last couple of cards that were destroyed / used, but maybe I'm odd like that...

And I can also remember how much my cards cost to play in the first place - and once they're in play, it's not an important piece of information.

Part of playing any card game is the ability to remember the cards played, and thus the ones likely to be played (counting is a little more difficult in this compared to real life, due to the decks being effectively endless, and working out where the 40 cards ends to start a new run...)
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    +1

I'd suggest an "action log" to see a history of whats been cast and destroyed. This in conjunction with with an option to delay/pause spells being cast - but you can turn that off.

It's pretty vital to know what just got cast.

All of these cards that bring back spells/creatures from the graveyard are just wild guesses as to what will happen. I'm pretty sure I've gotten nerfed by not having a creature/spell in the graveyard.