Are growing pains typical?

darcdante
darcdante Posts: 11
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi!

I've been playing 45 days now, and I've dropped countless hours into this game. My rewards have paid off. I was getting top 100 in most PVE matches and even a couple PVP matches (though once I had to buy about 800 coins worth of shields, that was annoying). I got my first 5 star a couple weeks ago (Silver Surfer). Just today, I dropped 20k ISO-8 to get my OBW from level 78 to 94. She'll likely be my first champion, but I want to save up my ISO a bit after that large expenditure. Anyway, onto my question...

I have a dilemma at the moment. Whereas I was getting top 100 in PVE events, which would net me at least one 3 star cover, in the current event I struggled to even stay in the mid 300s. I was playing match after match, only to see myself go up a few spots in the ranking. Not only that, but the matches seem to be getting more difficult. I used to be able to ride Silver Surfer's large hitpoints for a few matches, but now I have to heal after a single match versus three level 105 baddies.

So I gave up on my dreams of getting a Peggy Carter Captain America. I won't even make the Bullseye. It wasn't even close. I stopped playing, because I didn't see a reason to spend hours trying to get a 2 star Ms. Marvel cover. Whoopdeedoo.

I thought I'd try the PVP event instead. But, whereas there I could weasel my way into the top 100 and generally stay there, now I'm struggling to break 200. I've always found PVP a challenge, but since getting Silver Surfer, I at least don't seem to get attacked as often. I suppose having a level 270 is a deterrent for many.

Is this a normal growing pain that every player experiences? The DDQ is the only thing keeping me going right now. I even managed to beat the Big Enchilada yesterday. But the DDQ only takes a few matches to complete. It's hard to find the motivation for the Story or PVP events when the meaningful rewards are so far out of reach.

I tried to look up how the brackets and slices work, to see if maybe I just got a bad run with the most recent events. I'm worried that Silver Surfer is bumping me into brackets where I'm not competitive since other people around my rank in the PVE mode seem to have loads of champions.

Is this just a run of bad luck, or is it a standard growing pain? If it's the latter, what's the best way to overcome it? Just keep doing the DDQ until I'm more competitive? It seems like that will take weeks.

I'm not trying to complain. I love this game. That's why I want to play more of it. It's just hard to motivate myself to play hours a day to get a 2 star Ms. Marvel cover I'll just sell for 250 ISO.

Thanks!