C/D 5 stars should never be boosted.

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Can't think of any rational arguments denying, but I'm all for hearing em.

Before 5 stars, I was against 4 stars being boosted, but I at least understood sort of the point because it allowed the horrible 4 stars to potentially get some action, though people still used the same 3 best 4 stars unboosted anyway so it was kind of a moot point. But now the thing is, even the worst 5 star is undoubtedly better than the best 4 star. There are no bad 5 stars, and facing a boosted Old Man Logan, is just total ****. Anyway, what's the consensus?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Cascad
    Cascad Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    It is impossible to deal with 5* for me) So boosted or not - almost the same, but right now without any 5* i upvote for not boosted
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fine with them being boosted occasionally. As long as they aren't being boosted every event which I agree would be pretty rough, having them boosted once in a while in offseason events is totally fine by me. Even gives me the occasional chance to use my unleveled, two covered Green Goblin a chance to shine.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    PvP at the 2* -> 3* level already seems dominated by people with the one odd 5* cover. I personally don't enjoy that effect being even further enhanced. I can take out a lv270 character if it comes down to it and sometimes it even is the best choice for me. I have even done okay in PvP events where I seem to have none of the right characters to get boosted. But a ~lv350 or so character really breaks that balance. At low levels, it warps PvP to be entirely about whether you've pulled that particular cover.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deny.

Because if you think that would break the game then (spoilers) it's already broken.
    I think if they boosted 10% (rounded up to the nearest whole) of the 5* tier as a part of the weekly cycle that would be fine. We've got less than 10 right now, so it would only be 1 a week. You'd only have to put up with boosted OML for a week every ~6 months - which is different from putting up with non-boosted OML for the other ~25 weeks.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Deny.

There were threads saying 4* should never be boosted back in the day, and guess what, we plan our events around our boosted 4* now. 5*s are going to keep coming and coming, and more and more will be boosted as more variety is added to the tier. This is a good thing, the more the merrier. Right now , with only 1 boosted, it makes things easy if you have it, hard if you don't. Down the road though, it will be like 4*s, plenty to choose from.

In another year, 5* essentials will be a thing, it is called progress.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    For now, they've only been boosted in offseason events. I think it's perfectly fine for that, but not boosted during season events until they are more prevalent.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're only boosted off season so it's fine in my opinion. Off season is the time for messing about testing characters
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    And every time they boost them we see this topic.

No, they shouldn't be. I'm not seeing a ton of GG's since he's a bit newer, not many have lots of covers - but that's in higher MMR.

I remember quite well the lower MMR's, when I'd see one-cover 5*'s -everywhere- when boosted - since one cover 5*'s are way higher level than champed (non-boosted) 4*'s - almost equal to champed/boosted 4*'s! When you are a 3* transitioning to 4* roster and see those everywhere, it feels (and perhaps is) incredibly unfair.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even though Goblin is the one 5* character I don't have, I'm ok with 5*s being boosted occasionally in off-season events. I may have to skip this one since I don't have Goblin or a champed Rulk. I'm assuming all my opponents will have them.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    5*s are boosted in the off-season. Off-season is for experimentation. We'll survive.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    never say never?

It was fun last time in the off season. But this should be a very rare occurrence. Like say one or two events each month?
    It lets me get a glimpse of how powerful they really are. I've always been afraid to level mine due to the scaling as I don't have any champed 4*.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    5*s are boosted in the off-season. Off-season is for experimentation. We'll survive.

Wasn't the Valentine's one in-season?

But I agree. One of them in an off-season event isn't a big deal.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2016
    Malcrof wrote:
    Deny.

There were threads saying 4* should never be boosted back in the day, and guess what, we plan our events around our boosted 4* now. 5*s are going to keep coming and coming, and more and more will be boosted as more variety is added to the tier. This is a good thing, the more the merrier. Right now , with only 1 boosted, it makes things easy if you have it, hard if you don't. Down the road though, it will be like 4*s, plenty to choose from.

In another year, 5* essentials will be a thing, it is called progress.

Progress without any consideration of where it's going is just arbitrarily moving forward, which is neither productive nor helpful.
    Had they solved the tiering/scaling issues that arose, and implemented a common sense progression system, I'd agree with it being progress. It's just moving forward right now.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted for confirm, but what I actually mean is that they shouldn't be boosted until they are easier to obtain. Having a well-covered/leveled 5* is already a ludicrous advantage, so boosting them further just exacerbates the issue.

That said, as others have mentioned, as long as it's only during the off season it doesn't really rustle my jimmies too much.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    As someone with no truly usable 5*s, I still vote deny.

Boosting during season events or in PvE would provide a ridiculous advantage (coupled with even more frightening scaling, I'm sure), so that is something that should not be done in the current state of the game.

Boosting during off season? I can find more important issues to address. The times my Phoenix (1/1/4) has been boosted in some of the events have been fun. If I roll up into a boosted Goblin... mine only has 1 yellow. There is a skip button for a reason.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Why is anything boosted at all? Why does boosting need to exist? It doesn't help the player at all even if you have every boosted character maxed. It boosts difficulty and limits roster availability, nothing more.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Boosts have the advantage of making you switch up your team. I think without them I'd be playing the same characters over and over, and would probably get more bored that way. It'd be my own fault, but it's probably what I'd do, just because they were my 'best' team.

I feel like there's unspoken rule of game development, that if you don't do thing that players hate, the players will find something to do that they hate even more.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why is anything boosted at all? Why does boosting need to exist? It doesn't help the player at all even if you have every boosted character maxed. It boosts difficulty and limits roster availability, nothing more.

Boosting is there to encourage people to have a wider roster of characters and to try out other team combinations, the obvious drawback to it in pve is that it impacts your scaling as they stupidly calculate that including the boosted level rather than the base one and thus invalidate it from being called a boost.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker

It promotes roster diversity - before boosted you saw one team day in day out - now you see mainly 1 team for a week and there is a change - it's a big improvement on the old days.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    I don't know guys, I'm not really finding the 2000 match 4 damage all that amusing :/

I think more people have green goblins than previously suggested, I don't care if it's off season, or on. It's not fun if I'm burning through health packs due to match damage, that's ridiculous.