how does 1 get over 2000 points in moonrise?

8punch
8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
i checked today the rankings in PVP moonrise event and saw some people already made over 2000 points already?

how is this possible? i thought how more you won how less you score get?

these guys are maxed out though, with *5 cards , level *4 cards etc. so they are all very strong.

but i thought if i read the faq right, that you win you get 75 lose 50 for example win again 75. that way you can maximise your points. or do these guys use a different technique to boost score?

or maybe i read the faq wrong. it aint so easy to understand for someone whos english is not native.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    To score so high players normally coordinate with each other and spend a lot of HP on shields. They shield hop off of each other. It really is impressive because when you are the top scorer and your opponents will only be worth 30 some odd points. If you have the HP to spend on shields and you work with others you can hop as high as you want. 3hr shield to an 8 hr shield and even some all day shields.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw 7th in my last PVP bracket (competing for the one Moon Knight cover at #1 I guess) was around 4500. They would have had to start running to 2K-ish around the 36 hour mark (or earlier!), and shield hop the rest of the way.

When you coordinate, it's not to hard to find like-minded folks who will also drop easy (cupcake) teams and then shield, which allows you to continue to find high points.

To do this requires an enormous amount of time (coordination, being around all the time to not only go out time and again but find your friends time and again) and resources (if they "only" go 3/8/3/8/3 the rest of the way out they used five shields. I'm willing to bet they'll use significantly more...and think of the ISO for skips to find the friends!)

For the competitive nature of things, I've always argued names should be stripped from PVP's so this kind of coordination can't happen. But then again - these folks are now flooding (some) slices with tons of easy points, so with the right roster it's a bit easier to hit 1K/1.3K.

The part I don't get is the drive to continue going up that high - 4*'s are pretty irrelevant to most of the folks I see at the top of the PVP ranks. Anyone that ends up in T100 or so probably already has season rewards done. Season ranking isn't that much of a motivator either. Their biggest reward to work for in this PVP came up long ago - the 1300 CP. I think it's the very addiction of hopping that keeps folks hopping, honestly.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you get high enough that the matchmaking runs out of suitable targets, you'll be matched against low level players. They aren't worth many points, but it can help the front runners get ahead inch by inch.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    thanks guys for the replies. seems to take a lot of effort to get that far. and here i am just happy with every card i can get icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    I don't understand hopping.
    Is it shielding, find a high score target, attack then shield again? And repeat this over and over?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    tph_james wrote:
    I don't understand hopping.
    Is it shielding, find a high score target, attack then shield again? And repeat this over and over?
    Yes.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i was in a slice (different event though) where the top 8 were all over 4500 (the highest being well over 6000), all in the same alliance. one guy gets out ahead. throws out a garbage team, shields, then all his buddies hit him for 75 points

in some ways i think this kind of defeats the point and makes a mockery of pvp. but on the other hand, i have happened to catch some of these guys when they throw out their one star teams with the loaner featured character. the easy 75 pointer when you are getting close to 1000 can put you over the top. and you know they probably won't retaliate cause you're probably only 1 point to them.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:
    i was in a slice (different event though) where the top 8 were all over 4500 (the highest being well over 6000), all in the same alliance. one guy gets out ahead. throws out a garbage team, shields, then all his buddies hit him for 75 points

in some ways i think this kind of defeats the point and makes a mockery of pvp. but on the other hand, i have happened to catch some of these guys when they throw out their one star teams with the loaner featured character. the easy 75 pointer when you are getting close to 1000 can put you over the top. and you know they probably won't retaliate cause you're probably only 1 point to them.

I think the developing term for intentionally easy 1* teams worth 75 points is 'cupcake.' And the generous souls who produce them for other players are 'bakers.'

I am continually impressed by the Slice 4 players that routinely score 4-6k in PVP, and by the occasional brackets where 1k isn't enough for a top 100 score. Easy points for the whole bracket is a good thing as the 1k covers are the only way to intentionally build 4*s for 99% of the player base.

On the other hand, the crazy urge to spend hundreds or thousands of HP shield hopping for a 3 or 4k score is part of why demiurge seems content to leave the shield cooldowns in place. and I really **** hate the shield cooldowns. It's hard to imagine a less player friendly system than one that creates an optimal play schedule of 2-4 match bursts spread out at regular 3 or 8 hour intervals over the course of several days (and punishes any failure to keep that schedule very harshly). It's a such a pain in the **** to schedule my life around a stupid pvp event. At least with PVE I know that sub-optimal play can still get me all the prog rewards.