Hellos and goodbyes.

san
san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi, as this is not really a game suggestion, but a forum suggestion, I opted to put it in general - however, if this is incorrect, mods please feel free to move it.

We have a whole lot of goodbyes from retiring players, and a few hellos from either newbies or players coming back. Can we have a forum section relating to these? While I appreciate that everyone wishes to announce their goodbyes to the world, this often wastes valuable space, and is of no interest to me (and quite likely others).

I want to be clear, I do not wish to devalue the emotions that someone expresses when exiting the game. At the same time, we have loads of these topics, and it would be nice to have a forum just for that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello's are here :https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13454

Goodbyes were also moved to the same subforum, but then people had fits.. so unless one gets out of hand, it will stay in general.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    Hello's are here :https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13454

Goodbyes were also moved to the same subforum, but then people had fits.. so unless one gets out of hand, it will stay in general.

Thanks for the info, Mal.

Just saw a few threads like that lately. Guess the mods are way ahead of the curve icon_e_smile.gif
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I discovered today that bonfire01's retirement thread got moved to the Off Topic forum. Once I went over there and found it, I found GothicKratos posted one too, and so did a few others.

I'd like to please request that we keep these in General Discussion (or wherever the poster put them). First, almost all of them make excellent points about improvements that could be made to the game. Bonfire's post, for example, talks about a perceived lack of progression that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere. I think we are doing ourselves a disservice to label that "off-topic".

Second, and much more importantly, we are a community, and when one of our members decides to leave, this can have profound and significant effects on how much the rest of us enjoy the game and the forums. A thread buried in Off Topic will be mostly unseen and ignored -- please, let it continue to be easy to know when one of our friends leaves and let us say goodbye.
    Original quote found here: posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=316859

I am quoting mischiefmaker because he summed up how I feel about the issue of moving retirement threads perfectly. I understand some members may not enjoy them but in that case I ask that you simply ignore them. Retirement threads tend to ebb and flow; they are not a constant presence in the General Discussion forum. Often they shine a light on the current state of the game and what issues lead to the player's decision to leave. Usually there are commonalities like difficulty with progression and lack of ISO but there are also historically specific issues like nerfs that make for an interesting and informative read.

But as mischiefmaker pointed out, most importantly, allowing these posts to remain here serves to show that the forum is not simply a sterilized wiki, void of personality and uncaring of its members. It shows that we have enough respect for each other to honor the parting words of those that decide to leave and felt it important to reveal the reasons behind that decision.

And finally, a bit ironically, one of the best retirement threads I have ever come across was a by a user named hello_goodbye. It's a great read for those interested in an honest, constructive critique of the game we all play (and foreshadows the later implemented champion system).