Should I sell my five stars?

Options
Frustrated1
Frustrated1 Posts: 68 Match Maker
edited December 2016 in Roster and Level Help
How would it effect my scaling?

I have one of every 5*, but only one cover each (Logan has two and is maxed at 285. I haven't put ISO in the others).

I have all of the 3*s, but not all champed (most). Ive got most 4*'s but only XFWolverine and Invisible Woman maxed. Fury, GRider and a couple others are getting up there, but none over 200.

So will selling any/all 5*s help my scaling?

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    good question. Scaling has been, previously, a function of the levels of your top...3, I wanna say? characters. And, for a while (dunno if this is still true), your performance.

If you have two 4* maxed (270) and three 5* between 255-285, your scaling should be comparable to mine. I have 38 cover-maxed 3's, about half of which are champed, and I'm slowly building an Iron Man 3*.

I have three 5* at 255.

I haven't seen any "deadly" nodes in anything but the gauntlet in a long time.

That said, I also don't play PVP regularly, so I don't know what selling your 5* would do to your MMR.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, I would not sell all 7 5*s now. Keep and slog through.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You have two max 4* characters. Under no circumstances should you sell your 5*s. They are not impacting your scaling any more than your max 4*s.

Don't level them any further until your roster is more well-balanced, but selling them now would be a huge mistake.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I would never sell my 5*s i have 19 champed 3*s now and highest lvl of 183. i dont have any 4*s above 140 but i have 18 5* covers now but haven't put any ISO into them and i cope with the scaling fine in pve and pvp
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    Don't do the mistake I did. I had sold off my 5* because I was afraid of the scaling like you are. It's not worth it to be honest. I've now gotten a few more 5* yes I've got all 7 but many with 1 cover. My highest 5* is a lvl 300 phx with 2/3/0 covers. I was silly and sold 3 red covers and I would of had a use able 5* right now. But I don't. I rarely use her except for in the super easy nodes of pve. Yes I've gotten a few 4* champed like imhb cyke mean jean and rhulk. But I haven't put any more iso into my 5* at all.

My scaling in both pve and pvp are not that bad. Yes I hit 1300 in pvp due to my 4* help but I wouldn't sell the 5* at all. Your gonna get what maybe 12k iso for selling them give or take a bit. And that iso your gonna dump into your 3* or 4*. It's not worth it in my opinion.

Cause what happens when you have a few other 4* up there and your hitting 1300 regularly or max progression in pve and getting 25 cp each time. And you pull a single 5* now. Then your starting back at square one of building them up and it's a long process to do that. My best 5* covered are my phx at mentioned above and a black suit spidey with 3/0/1. And spidey is still at 255. Next ones up are ss 2 covers oml 2 black covers and ggoblin with 2 covers. All of them are not use able and still keeping the bench warm.

Yes u could say we'll if u brought up bssm to 315 (max lvl) then u should be fine. Cause of your 4*. Absolutely not. I don't want to get that range where I don't have a boosted 4* weekly. I'm currently working on that now but it's a long process to get them up there. And I'm not dropping cash on hp in buy clubs or buying iso to lvl them up. Re champ the 2* and use those benifits to you advantage
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only time that selling a 5* is appropriate is if you're a 2* player that doesn't have any champed 3*s. Once you start getting any 3*s to 166, there's no reason to sell those 5*s. A boosted champed 3* and a level 255 5* affect your scaling about the same way.

Just don't put any levels into your 5*s until you max out a few more good 4*s.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    You should have sold them when you only had one or two. It's too late now, though; you are in too deep.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have no maxed 4*, a boatload of champed 3*, and at least 3 5* with multiple covers (but still softcapped at 255). I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in difficulty, aside from the usual scaling test ridiculousness.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I get only around one 5* every few months. So you bet I'm going to hold onto each and every one of them.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The five stars do affect your scaling. Plain and simple. If you suddenly get a level 255 character on your roster and if it is now one of your top few characters your scaling is affected. We know this by various players complaints.
    Although the dev team have not released the exact mechanics to determine scaling, in an attempt to prevent players from gaming the system.
    It is strongly believed the average level of your top 3 to 6 characters is a huge factor. Some also believe having one character at level 290 or higher can also affect scaling. There might be other level threshold ranges as well.
    Other factors that are believed to affect scaling include the amount of characters you have on your roster, the amount of five star covers you have, the amount of covers you have in general. Other factors may include average level of a certain range of class of characters and the average amount of points you have scored the last few pvps.
    So I mentioned gaming the system.
    There are some players out there that will not level anything past level 255 and have many characters fully covered and are invisible to many of the higher end players, until they break a point barrier believed to between 700 to 1100 points. This is somehow determined by point values in the shard. They also have a better chance of getting into the easy PVE bracket and staying out of the Veterans bracket. There are also some players who sell there 5 stars, and don't level any character past level 200 and say they never face high end veterans ever.

The scaling is designed to keep things competitive and to protect the newer players from being slaughtered by the veterans and people with better rosters, but by doing so, it does tend to punish people for improving.
    There is a very good chance that scaling will actually determine the caliber of players you will compete with you for season rewards and in your pvp bracket.
    People talk about veteran brackets and easy player brackets in PVE (Player versus Environment)
    In PVP, it is unknown how many types of brackets there actually are. There may very well be a Novice PVP bracket, a 2 star player bracket, a three star player bracket, a veterans bracket, and a whales bracket. We are unsure of the level ranges, to break the various thresholds.
    So you can only guess what a bunch of level 255 characters can suddenly do to a players competition.
    Nobody will ever tell you to sell Old man logan, because we honestly don't know if it would affect your scaling, but if we could go back in time, we would at least tell you not to level him until you have more covers.
  • Zathael
    Zathael Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out if I should sell my 5*. I have a red 5* Jean Grey and a black 5* Silver Surfer cover, but the rest of my team is 2* mainly. My next 10 highest players are almost all 2*.

2*: 109 Wolverine, 108 Daken, 106 Storm, 104 Thor, 102 Black Widow, 102 Hawkeye, 94 Human Torch
    3*: 89 Steve Rodgers (Super Soldier), 78 Doctor Octopus
    4*: 86 Cyclops (Classic)

Right now I have an extremely had time even completing a stage. The most covers I have for a 3* is 6 (Steve Rodgers and Doc Oct). What should I do? It just isn't fun trying to kill a team of 169-200s when I don't even have one character that high except for the 2 5*s
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zathael wrote:
    I'm still trying to figure out if I should sell my 5*. I have a red 5* Jean Grey and a black 5* Silver Surfer cover, but the rest of my team is 2* mainly. My next 10 highest players are almost all 2*.

2*: 109 Wolverine, 108 Daken, 106 Storm, 104 Thor, 102 Black Widow, 102 Hawkeye, 94 Human Torch
    3*: 89 Steve Rodgers (Super Soldier), 78 Doctor Octopus
    4*: 86 Cyclops (Classic)

Right now I have an extremely had time even completing a stage. The most covers I have for a 3* is 6 (Steve Rodgers and Doc Oct). What should I do? It just isn't fun trying to kill a team of 169-200s when I don't even have one character that high except for the 2 5*s

Depends how you want to play. If you want to struggle each battle, keep 5*s but if you want easier battles and better chances evolving and faster, get rid of them - for now since you have just 2*s mainly. And don't open legendary token covers until you have a good base of 3*s.