versus mode. why me vs card 5 enemy team. while i have none?

8punch
8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
versus mode is great. but i dont understand why i get matched up against 5 level charachters when i do not even have level 5 cards at all. or even have upgraded level 3 or 4 cards that come even remotely close to them.

i tried a few fights, but it seems to be impossible. so why dont i get matched up more even?

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    It sounds like you must be a fairly new player.

If that's the case then versus mode (pvp) is really for when you have a more developed roster, you'll pretty much only be able to get to 200points or so until you your roster is better.

Id recommend hitting prologue and winning some more cards (commonly known as covers) and levelling up.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    yes i am a fairly new player.

i just found it odd that i got matched against those kind of level 5 charchters even if they only have 1 power.

they do way more damage then me, even if they match normal colors. i get matched up sometimes. not always. so i just skip them. i just wondered if more people had this kind of experience.

other then that, this game is great!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:

i just found it odd that i got matched against those kind of level 5 charchters even if they only have 1 power.

they do way more damage then me, even if they match normal colors. i get matched up sometimes. not always. so i just skip them. i just wondered if more people had this kind of experience.

@ base level, (lvl 255) they are treated in MMR basically like a boosted max 2* (lvl 212), or a max 3*.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,759 Chairperson of the Boards
    8punch wrote:

You're not the only one to have this experience. I'm fairly new myself (day 217) and now that I've championed my first 3* heroes (3 done, 2 more to come this weekend), I only get versus teams with one or two 5* in them.
    Even if I'm lucky and one of my 3* champs is buffed, I still don't stand a chance... unless I just play defense for 20 minutes and wear them down: no fun in this and frankly, I don't have the time for it.

It's a fun game, but it does seem to punish you for advancing icon_neutral.gif
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2016
    The opponents are chosen based on player ranking, not on stars or character level. You're seeing them because they're close to you in the player rank - they used their 5* character but couldn't climb very high with that team and got stuck at a point level within range of yours (they hit a brick wall of established 3*/emerging 4* characters). If you click on their name and look at their roster, usually those 5*s in the early-going only have 1-2 covers. They tend to be paired with other 1-cover 5*s or very low-leveled 3-4*. A robust 3* roster tends to squash those pretty easily.

If you're still in the 1* or 2* realm, PvP is really not something you're going to win at yet - try to enter a round as close to the start time as possible so you get 6 seed teams, which you can beat pretty easily. Past that, yes - a single-cover 5* will pound you on match damage alone. It's still possible with champion 2*s, but I wouldn't even try with 1*s.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    8punch, I've been playing the game for about 85 days now, and I get matched up with people with 5 star covers all the time. I've beaten a number of them with 2 and 3 star teams for fun, but it's usually not the more profitable fight for me to get into.

I have a suspicion that it might have to do with how much these people play too, and whether they got a lucky pull from the legendary pack, because it is not at all unusual for me to look at the rest of their roster of covers and see that, other than a single 5* cover, my characters are vastly better. Scanning around the forums, this seems like it's at best a mixed blessing for them, seeing as they get tossed up against much harder opponents in PvE and PvP, with just one high level character, who might not even have a useful power icon_lol.gif