if you wish VIP offered better rewards: dont buy it, right?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Demiurge isn't likely to waste all the resources spent building the system. If engagement is low, isn't their most likely move just increasing the rewards? And plenty of other mobile games show that the quasi-subscription model can work pretty well.

So the best move for players willing to pay in principal, but underwhelmed by the actual rewards is to sit out on this first version.

Comments

• wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. Basing a decision on what they might or might not do is an effort in futility. I personally think its a pretty nice deal.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2016
    wirius wrote:
    If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. Basing a decision on what they might or might not do is an effort in futility. I personally think its a pretty nice deal.

I think I agree with Pylgrim's assessment in the mega-thread. the current VIP package doesn't make too much sense from an optimal roster building perspective. It contains too many high-end rewards for newer rostesr, but not nearly enough ISO (and to a lesser extent) HP for veteran rosters.

I would add that from a monetary perspective, Demiurge seems to think that people value LTs and CP very highly. And the VIP rewards offer the best value with respect to those two digital goods (relatively to the, IMO, absurdly high price one must pay to direct buy CP/LTs). So it may be that many people buy VIP for those two goods alone (certainly are plenty of posts on the forums today to that effect).

And I disagree with the bolded statement above wirius. It seems to me that it is perfectly reasonable for a consumer to consider what effect his or her choices might have on a vendor when making a purchasing decision. What would be foolish would be to think that I alone, or even many of the forumites acting together, can perfectly predict and then produce specific responses from demiurge.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Buy enough stock in the company and you can influence d3's design decisions far more directly. icon_e_smile.gif
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buy enough stock in the company and you can influence d3's design decisions far more directly. icon_e_smile.gif

You'd sure need a hell of a lot of Sega stock to do that. And if you had that kind of money, I daresay this game would not be on your list of priorities. icon_lol.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Demiurge isn't likely to waste all the resources spent building the system. If engagement is low, isn't their most likely move just increasing the rewards? And plenty of other mobile games show that the quasi-subscription model can work pretty well.

So the best move for players willing to pay in principal, but underwhelmed by the actual rewards is to sit out on this first version.

It might be even better to buy the first one, and never again (which is what I will do).

I wanted to try the first one, feel VIP and classy for a month icon_razz.gif, and see if it had any help effect or not, so I bought the first one, but I doubt I am going to buy it again, if it stays as is ( looks like it is not helping me at all). Right now (day 950+), my normal resupply is probably better than the VIP :S

PS: Should the VIP consider in what day you are to adjust the prices?
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    with the number of four stars in the game now progression beyond the three star level the game becomes an rng crapfest.

if i had it to do over again, id be strictly free to play. the amount of money necessary to buy progression in this game is insane.

i might pay a little bit of money to get the stupid flashing vip button off the screen though. icon_razz.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    It might be even better to buy the first one, and never again (which is what I will do).

I wanted to try the first one, feel VIP and classy for a month icon_razz.gif, and see if it had any help effect or not, so I bought the first one, but I doubt I am going to buy it again, if it stays as is ( looks like it is not helping me at all). Right now (day 950+), my normal resupply is probably better than the VIP :S

Exactly what I'm doing as well. I haven't tossed any money at the game since they stopped letting you buy HP and buy covers with HP; I suppose after a dry 8/9 months I can afford to throw $10 at this game one time. I really needed just a little more ISO boost (and I consider heroics ISO at this point) to max out DPXF so I have a max 4* for Moon Knight event...that might be their whole idea, try to get people to chase the ISO. Which is why the "double ISO for VIP" idea is probably a better seller.

Like Polares - I feel all classy for a month! And I'll go back to the FTP leech next month, unless they significantly increase rewards in this club - it does feel pretty worthless for long-timers (day 825) and I think short-timers will still buy HP for roster slots...who is this for outside of weekly/monthly whales that are already buying?

I -do- think the evil "buy-in" for this would be if the reward list is longer than 28 days...if it keeps increasing rewards as long as you keep up membership. Like month two doubles these rewards, month three triples, after you get into day 100 (mind you, $100 by that point) you are getting at least 5x LT in the time period. But if D3 wanted to encourage constant membership, they would have (or at least should have) already listed rewards for day 29 of VIP membership.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    You'd sure need a hell of a lot of Sega stock to do that. And if you had that kind of money, I daresay this game would not be on your list of priorities. icon_lol.gif

If you were invested to that level it could be on your priorities list, but you'd be at the opposite end of the table.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:

Doing some napkin figures, if every active player bought one share of stock (at 76 per share), it'd be enough to take up about .3 percent of the company. That would probably be enough to make them sit up and take notice.

So it isn't impossible.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:

Doing some napkin figures, if every active player bought one share of stock (at 76 per share), it'd be enough to take up about .3 percent of the company. That would probably be enough to make them sit up and take notice.

So it isn't impossible.

76 what? Shekels? icon_lol.gif I'm looking at the ticker for Sega Sammy Holdings, which may or may not be the right entity I admit, and it's listed at $2.86 USD per share. At any rate, it sounds like a plan! Then we all vote in unison...which will be so easy. icon_e_wink.gif
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Exactly what I'm doing as well. I haven't tossed any money at the game since they stopped letting you buy HP and buy covers with HP; I suppose after a dry 8/9 months I can afford to throw $10 at this game one time. I really needed just a little more ISO boost (and I consider heroics ISO at this point) to max out DPXF so I have a max 4* for Moon Knight event...that might be their whole idea, try to get people to chase the ISO. Which is why the "double ISO for VIP" idea is probably a better seller.

Like Polares - I feel all classy for a month! And I'll go back to the FTP leech next month, unless they significantly increase rewards in this club - it does feel pretty worthless for long-timers (day 825) and I think short-timers will still buy HP for roster slots...who is this for outside of weekly/monthly whales that are already buying?

I -do- think the evil "buy-in" for this would be if the reward list is longer than 28 days...if it keeps increasing rewards as long as you keep up membership. Like month two doubles these rewards, month three triples, after you get into day 100 (mind you, $100 by that point) you are getting at least 5x LT in the time period. But if D3 wanted to encourage constant membership, they would have (or at least should have) already listed rewards for day 29 of VIP membership.

By "month" 4 you'd be into day 100, wouldnt that be 40 $/€? Or do I misunderstand?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    herm1978 wrote:
    By "month" 4 you'd be into day 100, wouldnt that be 40 $/€? Or do I misunderstand?

True enough! I just transpose "month" and the 28 day "seasons" all the time here - but it matters more when it comes to the cash!
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    It sounds greedy, but I seriously believe they should have given everyone free VIP status for about a week to try it out. It's not any more greedy than those annoying pop ups anyway...