Can we get an "own pace" Heroic test?

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm enjoying this Osborn Heroic, the only problem being that I'm not really able to do an 8 hour reset run.

Any chance we can get a play at your own pace test for an Heroic run? icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    best way to handle the 8 hr clear that you know you won't make is clear it early . double tap the nodes if you have to give you a 16 hr window (but second clear at 4, 5 or 6 hours would be better). or, if you could clear them at 10 hrs instead of 8, just do it then and i think you might end up with more points than double tapping. not sure when DT'ing is just as good as waiting it out. someone better at math can confirm lol
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    The Herald wrote:
    I'm enjoying this Osborn Heroic, the only problem being that I'm not really able to do an 8 hour reset run.

Any chance we can get a play at your own pace test for an Heroic run? icon_e_smile.gif

What is your objective? If it is top 50 placement and progression rewards, here's what I'm doing:

After work, I do three clears in one sitting.
    In the morning, before work, I do one more clear.

That's enough and I couldn't care less about the timer.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like all Heroics, I'm playing it at my own pace.

Cleared trivials, DONE.

Yep. This is why I don't get why heroics even still exist...d3 keeps doing tests to get more user "buy-in". But their data on Heroics -has- to show incredibly low user play compared to other PVE's.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    DTStump wrote:
    The Herald wrote:

What is your objective? If it is top 50 placement and progression rewards, here's what I'm doing:

After work, I do three clears in one sitting.
    In the morning, before work, I do one more clear.

That's enough and I couldn't care less about the timer.

That's the thing, if you dont want top placement, just clear the nodes whenever you want, and as long as you clear them 4+ times you will get all the progression rewards without having to check the timers at all.

PS: The timer problem, for 99% of the people it is just a physiological thing, it is not really affecting them to get the node and progression rewards.
  • The Herald
    I'm honestly enjoying this a lot more than the previous few PvE! I don't get the hate.

Am I just at a scaling sweet spot here?
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    heroics for me are actually the easiest 25 cp i get. screw placement and farm the easy and essentials. i barely hit the hards. and theyre three days. bring em on.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    I'm honestly enjoying this a lot more than the previous few PvE! I don't get the hate.

Am I just at a scaling sweet spot here?
    Yes.

Those of us that are used to using our shiny new toys to clear scaled fights get cranky when they take our toys away.

And personally, I'm very used to leaning on OML's match damage to make fights go faster. Things seem so much slower when black matches do 240 damage instead of 1050.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those of us that are used to using our shiny new toys to clear scaled fights get cranky when they take our toys away.

And personally, I'm very used to leaning on OML's match damage to make fights go faster. Things seem so much slower when black matches do 240 damage instead of 1050.

It isn't just a lack of OML, the restricted roster also means there is a lack of synergy and thus slower play for everyone else who doesn't have an OML to rely on either.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    How about this for an own pace test:
    Make it a bit like Gauntlet ; all 3 zones open for 5-7 days. 5 clears available for each nodes, with heavy scaling. For each zone, points equivalent of 1 full clear gives you a 2* essential cover, equivalent of 3 full clears a 3*, 5 full clears give you a 4*. It would be a hard, ugly, nasty challenge to get those 4*s.
    No timers, just you and working out the best Tactics for the characters you are given. Scale it so that a 3-4* transitioner will be able to win those covers, but they are really going to have to work hard for it.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 wrote:
    How about this for an own pace test:
    Make it a bit like Gauntlet ; all 3 zones open for 5-7 days. 5 clears available for each nodes, with heavy scaling. For each zone, points equivalent of 1 full clear gives you a 2* essential cover, equivalent of 3 full clears a 3*, 5 full clears give you a 4*. It would be a hard, ugly, nasty challenge to get those 4*s.
    No timers, just you and working out the best Tactics for the characters you are given. Scale it so that a 3-4* transitioner will be able to win those covers, but they are really going to have to work hard for it.

I'd play that.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

It isn't just a lack of OML, the restricted roster also means there is a lack of synergy and thus slower play for everyone else who doesn't have an OML to rely on either.

Completely agree here. Lack of synergy and the fact that none of the boosted characters mesh very well and most of them are very slow which is a tad annoying when your against 2 opponents who can collect 6 Green and do 4k damage (or more ares) or 7k damage with 6 red (thanks juggs) whilst also having enormous health pools too, iceman is a nice boost but mine only has 2 Green making him a bit less useful.

That's just how heroics fall sometimes, one time you'll hit it lucky with the boosted characters and ace it another time you'll be left with nothing but unlevelled undercovered characters which will make you cry...another way in which RNG hits the userbase
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:

I'm with crowl. I don't care about OML as much as, just give me one... ONE of hood, loki, witch, im40, fist. for some acceleration somewhere. even mnmags or obw would help, but would require some creativity. without any of them, its just not fun.

edit: and it isn't that the boosted list is ****. hell, iceman, xfw, cage, 3steve, and I even like gamora (if I had fist or im40) - are all very good boosted characters. with no ap control/acceleration, pve becomes too much of a slog.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    The Herald wrote:
    I'm enjoying this Osborn Heroic

I'm glad someone is at least.
  • The Herald
    brisashi wrote:
    The Herald wrote:
    I'm enjoying this Osborn Heroic

I'm glad someone is at least.

I'm getting the distinct impression I'm the only one O.o
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Herald wrote:
    I'm getting the distinct impression I'm the only one O.o

Nah, I like heroics usually. The only time I won't play them is if the character selection is truly awful, and this one's got Iceman, Cage, Cap, and a couple other decent ones. For the most part I like them because the progression goals are really low.

Also I popped three vault tokens on this one (had a bunch from the last run) and got a Moon Knight blackflag.png so that was nifty.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I disagree with the lack of synergy. I am missing my OML, but I'm using GSBW, Cap, and Cage. That team has all 6 colors covered, and all decent damage skills. If you have any max boosted 4's I'm sure there are better teams, but that team gets the job done.

I'll use more health packs than usual without OML, but I think the 25cp progression reward will be easy.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh yes, I almost forgot the other reason I hate Heroic events. Too many one-time nodes.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    One thing I'll say for Heroic mode, is that it does make me try things I wouldn't have otherwise. OBW, Wolverine and Squirrel Girl make a much better team against the Dark Avengers than I would have guessed.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 wrote:
    I disagree with the lack of synergy. I am missing my OML, but I'm using GSBW, Cap, and Cage. That team has all 6 colors covered, and all decent damage skills. If you have any max boosted 4's I'm sure there are better teams, but that team gets the job done.

I'll use more health packs than usual without OML, but I think the 25cp progression reward will be easy.

When people talk about synergy, it is about more than just covering all colours, it is about ap generation or stealing to speed up the main characters, there are loads of them in the game and somehow none of them were 'randomly' picked in much the same way that we got 90% tile generators in that heroic that is heavy on the doc ock. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Crowl wrote:
    When people talk about synergy, it is about more than just covering all colours, it is about ap generation or stealing to speed up the main characters, there are loads of them in the game and somehow none of them were 'randomly' picked in much the same way that we got 90% tile generators in that heroic that is heavy on the doc ock. icon_rolleyes.gif

3Cyc was a reinforcement for the first sub, he does red accel very well... for himself, I guess, since there aren't really amazing red users on the available list.

I don't mind this Heroic too much since I have a champed iceman, but the health pack usage is... insane. Even if I had it, 25% faster VIP healing doesn't fix freaking Juggernaut and his 5k headbutts every other turn. Also, Iceman + GSBW or 2* Thor is surprisingly fun. Never would have thought of that combo otherwise.