Deleting harmless threads is weird and unproductive

GuntherBlobel
GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I was reading this very harmless thread about the VIP launch and now it's gone. Kinda annoying considering that I was interested in the topic and removing it doesn't solve anything.

Someone else is surely going to post similar content today. Certain forumites will surely respond with snark.

So why bother deleting entire threads? Let it play out.

Comments

• mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    edited June 2016
    Op deleted it because he seems to be the only one that got a popup and a bunch of idiots were calling him a cheater. He didn'the want to get everyone sharpening their pitchforks. Like someone would cheat to pay 9.99, or for that matter post it on the forum after cheating.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2016
    Fair enough, but a mod can lock threads, too. When you lock a thread, you can explain why and let people read the post if they are interested.

For me it was strange enough to post about, because I was literally reading the post as it was deleted. It felt as if someone thought that I couldn't handle a few forumites acting like MPQ forumites, so they yanked it from me before I injured myself.

On a second note, I remember a joke about the OP getting sandboxed. It had an "lol" in the comment --- clearly, a joke. There was also the typical forum whine, but some of it was so nonsensical that it might have been parody. I didn't make it to page 2; maybe it got outta hand there.
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Fair enough, but a mod can lock threads, too. When you lock a thread, you can explain why and let people read the post if they are interested.

For me it was strange enough to post about, because I was literally reading the post as it was deleted. It felt as if someone thought that I couldn't handle a few forumites acting like MPQ forumites, so they yanked it from me before I injured myself.

On a second note, I remember a joke about the OP getting sandboxed. It had an "lol" in the comment --- clearly, a joke. There were some typical forum whine, but some of it was so nonsensical that it might have been parody. I didn't make it to page 2; maybe it got outta hand there.

Post is back up with a warning from another green.
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45998
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to give you a quick heads up but the thread is back up. It was removed because the thread was quickly devolving into accusations of cheating. While I certainly understand some people were joking, this being the internet and all, others did not catch the joke so I had to remove both jokes and genuine concerns of cheating from the thread. My apologies for the confusion.

And in general, I agree with GuntherBlobel that locking threads and providing an explanation for the mod action is best. It accomplishes two things: 1. Shuts down the inappropriate behavior and 2. Serves as a reminder of what is acceptable and not acceptable on the forum. However, there are certain instances where removal is necessary, most notably overtly obscene or vulgar posts and instances where an OP requests the removal of a thread either because they found their topic is already being discussed elsewhere or feel they are being attacked. In such instances, a mod must weigh the value of the discussion in the thread to the personal dignity of the user seeking assistance: should the thread be removed in its entirety or can it be saved by just removing a few posts?

As always, if you are not satisfied with the actions of a moderator, you can try contacting the mod in question or another mod to discuss what can be done. You are also free to contact Hi-Fi about the matter if you don't feel comfortable talking about an issue with a moderator.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a sub to grind. ε=ε=Σ┛ ̄ー ̄)┛トビマス!
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I find this thread to be both weird and unproductive.

Just like this post.

I find this entire FORUM weird and unproductive (exhibit A: me spending as much time here as I do).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love the idea that someone 'cheated' by spending $10 to get a trivial quantity of rewards slightly before other players. When someone figures out how to get a roster like the-king-who-must-not-be-named without spending the cash, THAT will be cheating.

Early VIP access is a gold star for cheating participation at best. . .