Poll:What do you want in a new character?

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok I read the character forums pretty regularly and a lot of the time people complain if a character has low damage, or a negative drawback.

Personally I like characters with negatives, and I like when they have novel mechanics because it means I get to try find a new team for them to fit in (that's about as puzzley as this game gets)

So here's my poll vote for the factor which you like to see most in a new character..
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Less characters icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want them to be non-playable villains that allow the devs freedom to try out new game modes and mechanics to bring something fresh and fun to the game.

But if we are talking about playable characters then I honestly just want a character that is fun to play with and whose power set makes sense in terms of comic-canon. (Yes, I am from that school of thought).

Too often it feels like certain powers have been shoe-horned, underpowered or overpowered because the devs are more interested in a mechanic and in-game power dynamics rather than the stated goal of capturing the flavor of a character.

Take for example OML's Living Legend: The old dude just makes a fist and apparently it causes his enemies to hurt themselves. However, if you read the comic book, no one cowers in fear at Logan until after his claws are out. He is repeatedly taunted, made fun of or people don't know who is.

More recently, Kate Bishop's Ruthless Precision somehow magically manages to prevent enemies from healing.

Also I am probably one of the few people who think 3* Iron Man got done dirty. (a simple battery he is not; there was a time people complained he was a battery but now they sing his praises. Isn't ironic, don't you think?)

And don't get me started on the Spider Family (except for 1* Spidey <3 Perfect in every way) and Silver Surfer.

I understand it can be tough to try to balance who a character is within the existing skill structure of the game while introducing new skill mechanics and that power creep is inevitable but the devs have got to keep in mind that a significant portion of the player base are fans of these characters and if they find the game's portrayal of said characters to be less than satisfactory it becomes a point of disenchantment.

I can't imagine how many Hulk fans walked away from the game when they realized he was more bark than smash. Currently what I am most intrigued by is the affiliation system they seem to be setting up. How long we will have to wait to see its full fruition, only time will tell. icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ways to cover them within a year.

Ways to use them outside of essentials every third season.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I think high damage is nice, but it's definitely not a deciding factor. For example let's take a look at Falcap: his yellow-red combo has immense potential for damage, but he's considered one of the worst (or at least mediocre) 4* characters. Some of the newer heroes (Drax, Kate) have pretty high numbers, but the initial reactions are not so enthusiastic (even putting aside growing inadequacy of 4* tier).

I think what a top tier character really needs is self-acceleration. Hulkbuster, Iceman, Rulk, Cyclops (both 3* and 4*), Iron Fist, IM40, Scarlet Witch - all of those are considered top tier mainly because of synergy between their abilities (and in most cases pretty good damage output too).
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Less iso requirement to level them.

Seriously, a character could have one of its abilities be "Passive this character gets triple benefit from Iso" and I'd go to serious special effort to roster and cover him.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damage is boring, there's lots of characters that can do that. I want more people like Hood or OBW in the 4* tier - AP stealing/denial. Right now you have Winter Soldier and who else?
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    VIIILLLLIAAAANS! WHOSE sole purpose is a counter base skill set against hero's strength. Like Absorbing Man. This characte has taken on almost all top line hero's and almost beaten them, or has. Also agree with faster covering and more ISO even at the expense of new characters. New hero's are the staleness that this has become. New frosting on old cupcake only sweetens for two seconds. This game needs deeper new content to enhance new characters. It also needs to see an influx of appreciation toward long standing players who have financially,or just by long term play shouldered the foundation of this game. Give me new understanding and recognition for this! NOT a new system to spend! Or a way to play the long term old content. Or even though I want vilians, fix the long term issue's. The new hero should be DEVS ability to hear our voices, see our words, and recognize our patients with them.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Marine8394 wrote:
    VIIILLLLIAAAANS! WHOSE sole purpose is a counter base skill set against hero's strength. Like Absorbing Man. This characte has taken on almost all top line hero's and almost beaten them, or has. Also agree with faster covering and more ISO even at the expense of new characters. New hero's are the staleness that this has become. New frosting on old cupcake only sweetens for two seconds. This game needs deeper new content to enhance new characters. It also needs to see an influx of appreciation toward long standing players who have financially,or just by long term play shouldered the foundation of this game. Give me new understanding and recognition for this! NOT a new system to spend! Or a way to play the long term old content. Or even though I want vilians, fix the long term issue's. The new hero should be DEVS ability to hear our voices, see our words, and recognize our patients with them.

If they're going to do anything to support 4*/5* story play, some new villains would he welcome beyond just over scaling the usual suspects icon_e_smile.gif
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    I want something like icon_hood.pngblueflag.png but at either the 4* or 5* tier.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    The nature of the game is weird enough that while there are things that I think would be cool for characters to do I would also not want to face the overscaled version of those characters.

Plus the lead time to get to use the character means facing people with those characters well before you have those characters (for most people) and that kind of takes the fun out of "it would be nice to get characters who can do X".
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Invited self accelaration, so they can be useful with the characters that are actually getting played.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the participation guys. Have to say I'm genuinely surprised at the poll results so far given how often people complain that they didn't get an oml in their tokens.

Interesting feedback too.

Aes : I only allowed one option so I could see which one people prioritised the most.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the participation guys. Have to say I'm genuinely surprised at the poll results so far given how often people complain that they didn't get an oml in their tokens.

Interesting feedback too.

Aes : I only allowed one option so I could see which one people prioritised the most.

Your polls show thought toward progressive future. A desire of professional progress. We all work. Let our want of fun have cultivation.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want fun. I am loathe to level another 5*, i do not want to be in 5* jail, with no other options on who to use.. I want characters that are fun to use, nifty animations, useful, and make me want to keep leveling 4* over a 5*.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    I want fun. I am loathe to level another 5*, i do not want to be in 5* jail, with no other options on who to use.. I want characters that are fun to use, nifty animations, useful, and make me want to keep leveling 4* over a 5*.

Same here. I want to play with all the 4*s I actually worked to build, not be beholden to a token lottery for progress. Sure I have been lucky so far with the first 3, but I don't see any real way to build any of the rest to a playable level within a reasonable time frame, which would basically leave me with 3 usable characters if I max them out.... 3 months later.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see characters having a utility power that is still worthwhile at a single cover and that always being the t100 reward in new releases, most of us won't have these characters covered for ages so at least make it so that their subsequent essential node is less annoying.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Some utility in 5* land would be amazing, maybe even abilities that do something when taking tonnes of damage like XFDP, because like it or not, it's a 5* game now.
    Something that will make me think "Hey, maybe [new character] will be useful instead of Phoenix for this match" would be fantastic.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    my hope for all the new characters is that they are **** enough that I only feel compelled to take them to their ddq day level. my hope is against the inevitable power creep. ask me again when I haven't being pve'ing for days on end, only because I need the iso. drax, kate, moonie. those likely hit the mark there. they probably didn't with pun and quake though. dangit lol.