Do we really want pve with only progression rewards?

2»

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, if they didn't add a 4 star to progression I'd rather them add more 3 stars and heroic tokens rather (in place of std tokens and 140 iso). At least with champed 3 star we can get those 4 star covers eventually, but the 3 stars are still treated as rare covers. They're the new 2 star and their drop rate should reflect that even though there are so many of them.

I was looking at my champed 3s and if I could just get more covers it would supply the difference I need to make many of my 4s more effective.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    I'm with OP. No progression only. You can play for just progression now at any time so why complain? You get additional rewards too.

This is a classic case of people thinking they know what they want. Then when they get it, they are still unhappy.

If they take away the competitive part of STORY MODE ( why do you call it PVE) people will get bored and quit.

It will be bad for the game.

Dudemon
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Dudemon wrote:
    I'm with OP. No progression only. You can play for just progression now at any time so why complain? You get additional rewards too.

This is a classic case of people thinking they know what they want. Then when they get it, they are still unhappy.

If they take away the competitive part of STORY MODE ( why do you call it PVE) people will get bored and quit.

Dudemon

The present is bad but the future with changes will be worse. Aha.

Why people were happy with galactus and civil war ? Because it was pure progression. And i guess much more players attented with much more effort than usual in these events than in others.

Of course some people will be offended and bored to become nothing special anymore with no placement t10 rank. But otherwise, why should they be bored? They would play for a guaranteed reward and not for just a chance. That will result in more rewards for more players who play more and have fun and spend some money and not thousands... wait. You are right. Dont change something so when (not if) the whales will be gone the game definitely dies.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dudemon wrote:

I bet that vastly more people burn out and quit the game than would get bored from pve being all progression awards, it is not like having much less control over the amount of rewards you get is actually exciting.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:

1) D3 wants the top rewards to be given out to a certain proportion of players. Typically only the top 1-5% receive the top rewards. This is a fact, and I don't foresee them changing this.

2) If they make pve purely progression, they will attempt to scale the difficulty higher so that only 1-5% of the population will get the reward. I expect the scaling to increase higher (even higher than EOTS), to the level of difficulty equivalent to the Gaunlet.

3) Even if they maintained the scaling, they are likely to tweak the progression reward numbers. Right now, if you click about 40% of the max score, you will hit the top progression reward. Can you imagine if they shift it upwards to 80% of max score? The grind will be even tougher.

In short, knowing D3 business model, they will make sure only a certain proportion of players get the top rewards. A progression only pve will likely become harder or become more grindy.

While your reasoning about the shortsighted viewpoint of D3 might be true, people are giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking that they would set reasonable points totals since more people earning a single 4* cover after 3-7 days is really not gamebreaking, with the amount of 4*'s in the game the players would only get roughly 2 covers per character a year under such a system.