Zero creatures deck

soultwist
soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
I've been really having fun playing this deck and using Exert Influence to use other peoples creatures I don't have. Steal two Avaricious Dragon's, cast Day's Undoing and 5 new cards that each get 9 mana icon_eek.gif

I do literally have zero creatures or spells that produce creatures in the deck, I've tried a bit with Hangarback Walker and its ok but maybe better without. If anything it seems like it has too many pieces doing too much control. Brawler's Plate cleans the deck but then Prism Array doesn't work, I often have a hand full of Day's Undoing full waiting to cast either Exert Influence or Turn to Frog and lots of full cards just get wasted. It's also a bit slow but I am more concerned about fun, if I need speed I will play managreen.png or manared.png Any tuning thoughts? (Except for Thopter Spy Network I SO wish I had that)
Spells (5)

Turn to Frog
Day's Undoing
Helm of the Gods
Dreadwaters
Exert Influence

Supports (5)

Prairie Stream
Brawler's Plate
Prism Array
Sphinx's Tutelage
Lumbering Falls

Comments

• EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Is this Jace or Tezzeret?

The mirror match is going to be difficult if you ever run across another creatureless deck. It does seem like a bit of a nonbo to have 2 cards which literally do nothing if you have no creatures (Helm of the Gods and Brawler's Plate). It also seems like a nonbo to have cards which make it more difficult for your opponent to cast cards, while at the same time relying upon the creatures they cast to fuel your army.

I'd be inclined to at least throw in some sort of utility creature to get the party started. Sigiled Starfish or Jhessian Thief will draw you cards. Murk Strider will cast for free with Day's Undoing and can come out as an early threat. If you also have Scour from Existence, that will create void gems and you can use Murk Strider to bounce creatures back to their hand. Alternately, some sort of Awaken spell will eventually be able to create some sort of creature if it sits in your hand long enough (which probably happens with this deck a lot).

Other alternatives for creatureless planeswalkers would be Kiora (who could also give your stolen creatures reach), Chandra (who can actually kill the opponent without ever controlling a creature, but could gain temporary control of their creature with Turn Against / Act of Treason), Ajani (who would probably have a harder time, but has access to all the same red spells). Or, you could also run Gideon II or Garruk with no creature cards in the deck, though they create creatures on their own, so I'm not sure if that's cheating).
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    I'm using Jace.

Yeah, if I ever ran across the mirror deck I'd have to just quit.

The way I have been playing it is to focus on getting my supports set up/finding an Exert. Then when I get all the creatures I want then I use Sphinx/Dreadwaters/Ability3 to basically shut opponent down, Frog, Brawlers Plate, and/or Helm to take care of any creatures the AI does get out. Also depends on draw. If I cant get a Turn to Frog or an Exert Influence I will slow the opponent down until I get the cards set up I want.

If anyone thinks the AI knows where the traps are buried I can assure you that when you want the AI to get mana successfully it can find that Dreadwater activation hidden way down in the corner and lose the juicy creature its been waiting 6 turns to cast.