MPQ Players...what are you expecting?

JohnnyBlood
JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, I'm curious: I started visiting this forum about 5-6 months ago for some advice, tips, and increase my general knowledge of MPQ, and found that there was TONS of info to be had here, and I thought it was great. Over the last several months, though, it seems that posts and the vast majority of discussion here is sooooo tinykitty negative, it's almost depressing. I am on day 767 and still thoroughly engrossed in this game. I have never done any event competitively, and yet, I am completely satisfied with my progress. I have 2 4 star.png s champed, working on some more gradually. I have a couple covers of all 5 star.png s except icon_ironman.png and icon_captainamerica.png . I've never hit 1000 in PVP, and never, ever hit top 100 in any PVE event. Ever. Yet, I've managed to cover almost every character in this game. And yes, I have spent some money on the game, but not regularly. More iso8.png would be great, yeah, but, whatever, this game is a marathon. So, I ask you, MPQ Player, what are your expectations of this GAME and is there any chance this forum can get swung back to a nice community knowledge builder instead of a black hole of a whine-fest on the internets?

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    If you are happy with your progression at day 767, that is wonderful. Hooray to you!! (not trying to be condescending). On the other hand, you are still playing in 3 star world while the rest of us are playing in 5 star world. I personally am on day 629. I have all 3's championed, almost all 4's covered and 8 of the best championed except for quake (working on her now) and the first 3 5's championed. I have played for high progression (scored 6k in a pvp) and am in a top 10 alliance. Now the kicker is that if you want to play casually, slow progress is fine, but if you want to do more, you need to be able to level your characters to enjoy them. Since I have maxed my 5's, I can't use my 4's in anything except pve (which I play less of now because I am getting tired of hitting a 6 wave node against 100k health gorgon for 70 iso or a critical boost). To the casual player, this game is ok to go slowly, but the majority of casual players won't play long. They will get tired of not progressing because sadly enough your progress at 767 is way behind my progress at 629 and WE ARE STILL PLAYING FOR THE SAME REWARDS. That is where the disconnect is. Again, I am glad you enjoy the game the way you play it, but at my level, the token pull RNG is frustrating (try selling 6 phoenix covers sitting in your que because you can't get the last necessary cover), ISO shortage is ridiculous (need close to 10 million iso to level everyone), and scaling is abominable (I am tired of fighting oml/phoenix/ss in pvp and level 400-500 dark avengers in pve over and over again). These are the things that we would like to improve so that we aren't continually sinking money into a pit.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started visiting this forum about 5-6 months....and I thought it was great.
    Over the last several months...the vast majority of discussion here is sooooo tinykitty negative

5*'s were introduced a year ago come September. I don't remember much non-negativity since then, but I guess it may depend on where you are looking and what you are looking for.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    If the game suits your goals that's fine. But try to consider that other people might prefer that there be some support for other kinds of goals, given that the game tries so hard to get you to care about being competitive.

I'm in the part of the game where championing 3*s is my progress, and I'm actually moving through it at a reasonable pace. That does not mean I think this game is well-designed. It's a game where you can get a completely useless 4* cover in the first few days of playing, and have it rot on your roster for over a year, doing nothing but force you to grind more/buy more for roster slots. It's a game that treats player frustration like a feature and not a bug. It's a game that constantly holds out its hand for money while almost never giving back. It's a game that - let's not kid ourselves here - has ruined some addiction-prone people financially.

Don't get me wrong. I like the way the actual gameplay works, for the most part. I think it's fun. But the game is designed to leave players with a bad taste in their mouths. It isn't the forums' fault. The devs WANT players to be eternally unsatisfied and frustrated.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    grunth13 wrote:
    If you are happy with your progression at day 767, that is wonderful. Hooray to you!! (not trying to be condescending). On the other hand, you are still playing in 3 star world while the rest of us are playing in 5 star world. I personally am on day 629. I have all 3's championed, almost all 4's covered and 8 of the best championed except for quake (working on her now) and the first 3 5's championed. I have played for high progression (scored 6k in a pvp) and am in a top 10 alliance. Now the kicker is that if you want to play casually, slow progress is fine, but if you want to do more, you need to be able to level your characters to enjoy them. Since I have maxed my 5's, I can't use my 4's in anything except pve (which I play less of now because I am getting tired of hitting a 6 wave node against 100k health gorgon for 70 iso or a critical boost). To the casual player, this game is ok to go slowly, but the majority of casual players won't play long. They will get tired of not progressing because sadly enough your progress at 767 is way behind my progress at 629 and WE ARE STILL PLAYING FOR THE SAME REWARDS. That is where the disconnect is. Again, I am glad you enjoy the game the way you play it, but at my level, the token pull RNG is frustrating (try selling 6 phoenix covers sitting in your que because you can't get the last necessary cover), ISO shortage is ridiculous (need close to 10 million iso to level everyone), and scaling is abominable (I am tired of fighting oml/phoenix/ss in pvp and level 400-500 dark avengers in pve over and over again). These are the things that we would like to improve so that we aren't continually sinking money into a pit.

Ok, so myself being a casual player, I guess the thing I don't understand is.....what is the point of playing competitively?
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    grunth13 wrote:

Ok, so myself being a casual player, I guess the thing I don't understand is.....what is the point of playing competitively?

I have been asking myself the same thing lately, mainly because the game is not going the way I would like it. Currently I am going for 1.3k+ to get top 25 placement. I play dpq if I remember, I play titan if I can win it in 3 or 4 tries. I rarely play pve (only new releases because of my alliance minimums).
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Game forums in general tend to gravitate towards negativity for some reason, free to play games even more so.

Most of my alliance mates have expressed excitement about the VIP system.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor

This forum has always been a mix of helpful references and negativity.

Generally, the negativity is in the open sewer that is General Discussion, and the helpful information is everywhere else.

Read the other subforums for a week, eschew GD for the same week, and see if your forum experience improves!

Ditto to this. When I find myself getting swept up in the knee jerk cynicism to whatever new changes the devs introduce (and by that, I mean I post like a knee jerk cynic too), a trip to the MPQ Tips and Guides/Roster and Level Help board does a world of good. It gets my head out of my own posterior and reminds me why I'm really playing, the fun. Even if I have nothing to contribute, its oddly soothng to read those posts.

I was reading through some of my old posts and I fell like I'm needing to take some of my own advice that I once posted: Don't worry about who's "winning" this game or what the player ahead of you (or behind you) is getting, just play as much as its fun. When its not, take a break.

I think the OP has got the right mindset for the game. The game isn't designed to return the level of emotional investment that some players put into it (again, I'm guilty of this too). That's why you see "This is the end of MPQ" posts, the "Slaps to the customer's face" posts when a fix isn't in the latest update, or the quitting posts that read like a "Dear John" letter during wartime. Don't equate money spent on the game as anything more than what you immediately get for it.

This isn't to say the game is perfect, there will always be miscalculations, screw ups, or outright fails ( icon_hulkcho.png ). But the only way to completely avoid those things is to not add anything at all. And we're all human, even Ultrons 1.0 through 5.0 - sorry, I mean the devs. icon_e_biggrin.gif