Mad at myself for this PVE

Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Finished the first two subs in second and third, left myself about 1:30 left of clears for Monday to finish after work and life got in the way leaving me only 45 minutes to finish (our adult co-rec sports went long). Used boosts to try and clear the rest, but came up 2,807 points shy of total clears. So now, after putting up a score of 142,063 of a possible 144,870 after four subs, I'm out of the running for top points even if I do every clear for the rest of the event.

So now my only hope for those X-23 covers I was fighting for are gone, despite already being way over the top progression for the event. I've fallen to 22nd place (for the event) with half an hour left in the current sub (which I cleared).

So I can keep clearing in the hopes that the people above me (and who continue to get above me in the next half hour) fail to finish, but otherwise I'm SOL. It is too bad, because I actually liked this event (despite fighting OPed nodes way too many times and the number of clears required for the hard wave nodes) and have always thought of EotS as being the only good seven day event.

I can keep fighting for ISO, CP, and EotS tokens, I can play PvP, or I can just take the rest of the week off since I'm already at max progression.

If Jean/Switch/IF/Hulkbuster weren't boosted, I can't even imagine how brutal this event would have been. They are all championed on my roster. Switch/FistBuster took down hard nodes involving Gorgon and Wolverine having a combined health of 90,227 with another ninja with 42,599 like they were nothing. Jean/Switch/Falcap combined to take out ninja survival nodes in the same way. Total CD tile denial and massive AoE damage. I don't have a useful Quake, but I heard great things about her with those pesky multiple Kishu caltrops nodes.

Devs need to take into consideration the relative power of the boosted characters when they determine whether scaling and playtime was reasonable for this event. Even with those super boosted fun teams, my clear times to get second and third place on the first two subs were 5:21 (for the 4 hour sub) and 5:41 (for the 24 hour sub).

Again, it was my own fault for leaving too many clears for myself to finish after work, but you can't reasonably expect nearly six hours of continuous play from your users in a 24 hour sub on an ongoing basis. Number of clears on a survival node need to come down.

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry to hear that... I can relate to how you feel.

I need TOP 5, so that I can get my last cover for x23. If I am out of TOP 5, then the rewards will mean nothing.

I have 2 more subs to go, and there are about 15 people with full clears. I presume it goes down to the final day grind. Totally not sure how intensive it will be.

So I may end up like you, play for 7 days and no useful cover.

Well, that is the nature of competition. *shrug* accepted it as a matter of fact, though I still don't like it.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Well I didn't clear the yellow node in the main event page on the 1st day because I didn't realise that it disappeared. So I've been out of top 10 in the same bracket as above since the end of the 1st sub even if I've been clearing every sub in a top 10 place.

ISO has been good though, lucked out with a few decent pulls from event tokens, earned some CP and HP here and there so it's not a total loss.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I doubt t10 will fail to max clear every sub.

I had the same thoughts as OP when the nodes starting getting silly in sub4 and thought perhaps everybody will fail to fill clear (was 5th when I thought this) then looked a bit later and I'd dropped to 9th with everyone above me fully clearing so I got back on the grind wagon.

If I were you I'd play for iso /tokens now as I think your chance of t10 is gone if you've missed even 1 point in any sub
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's what's so frustrating about placement rewards. You could get double progression but still not even make the placement you prefered, if either you miss a few nodes or simply don't clear fast enough.

Such a pain!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Problem is - it's not them. They are not controlling the players. There are enough players willing to do more than you did in order to lock you out of desired rewards. If you're not as devoted as they are, or something comes up that prevents you from doing full clears, you are locked out. The only way around it is to enter a less devoted bracket.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    "enter a less devoted bracket". Believe me, I'd much rather be in a less devoted bracket! Or if I'm to be in a more devoted bracket, then the prizes should be better. It doesn't make sense to be punished with a vet bracket, but still receiving the same n00b prizes as the people who get top placement for doing a fraction of the work.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Your mistake was playing the test PVE. Not that you missed a few points.
    When I first joined the pve and saw how many nodes there was, I kinda wanted to throw up. I don't even know how finished some of the hard nodes 15 out of 15 times on the first sub. I was smart enough to stop on 2nd sub. Never regretted missing all those points, not even going to make progression but am more healthier physically and emotionally.

7 days of what seemed to be endless grinds. No thanks. I'd rather not be at the top if that is the cost.

It's called an addiction when you choose this game over your daily real life stuff.

We should start a MPQ anonymous support group. Whenever you have urge to play, you discuss it with the group.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    So, I finally decided just to only play for a few hours. The entire top 10 has max points, so my placement rewards aren't going to be there for me (and no more progression rewards left).

I'll grind out a few CP and event tokens from the event, but I won't be playing for placement at all. I'll grind the easy nodes out to full, and then play until I have the 1,000 ISO, CP, and tokens from the remaining nodes.

Too bad, I was really hoping to get down to only one cover needed for X-23.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did a casual clear of the first sub event and ended up 300th, so I gave up straight away on placement.
    I have, however, gotten some ISO from it. Even got a black OML from the CP I got at the end. Woulda preferred a yellow but I'm not going to complain *too* much.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:

I need TOP 5, so that I can get my last cover for x23. If I am out of TOP 5, then the rewards will mean nothing.

I have 2 more subs to go, and there are about 15 people with full clears. I presume it goes down to the final day grind. Totally not sure how intensive it will be.

Well, that is the nature of competition. *shrug* accepted it as a matter of fact, though I still don't like it.

Just finished last sub. You probably need to be able to beat the whole sub in 10hrs or less to have a realistic shot at top 5. At least 15 people in my bracket will finish event will perfect scores
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I finished top 5 because I need the X-23 covers, and I'm STILL mad at myself for devoting so much time to this pvp.

Whoever thought it was ok to set 15 clears for survival nodes needs some kind of disciplinary action taken against them.
  • atomzed
    Phumade wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Just finished last sub. You probably need to be able to beat the whole sub in 10hrs or less to have a realistic shot at top 5. At least 15 people in my bracket will finish event will perfect scores

Currently 9 people are in the running for max clear before the last sub.

So it depends on who can clear the fastest. I suppose a best clear will be under 5 hours? I am hoping that most people don't have the time to do that fast and will finish within 10 hours instead.

We will see.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    Phumade wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Currently 9 people are in the running for max clear before the last sub.

So it depends on who can clear the fastest. I suppose a best clear will be under 5 hours? I am hoping that most people don't have the time to do that fast and will finish within 10 hours instead.

We will see.

The winning time is gonna be sub 6 hours for sure (In my bracket, the winner was sub 6, 5th place was around 10hrs. I use a 5* (10 cover) roster and I finished around 10hrs with a pretty leisurely pace. There are positives and negatives to this new format. The whole event basically boils down to a 1 day lighting pve.

My going forward strategy is to play the other subs super mellow and use the full 24 hrs. and play the last node super competitively with health pack boosts.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2016
    S4, T5, 4.5 hours. 1st finished in ~3.5

Update: 13.5 hours remaining, T10 still possible
  • Xrethx
    Xrethx Posts: 6
    S1, 9th over all. 10th in the final sub. The guy in 10th overall doesn't have max points currently. But he finished the last sub fatter than me.
  • atomzed
    nv6r01.png

Managed to finish 3rd place, cleared it in 6 hr 18 mins.

The 6+ hr clear included RL commitments, driving to a function, and then bringing my Wife back home.

I only really started to do the grind at at the 4th mark. When I started I was actually 7th overall, with the 5th place about 20k in front of me. Was really nervous so I boost in all my matches (r/y dmg boost and +2 p/b Ap). And I still have to heat up the dinner and take care of my baby while my Wife had dinner (and hearing her complaining about me and my mpq, which is fully justifiable considering my lack of attention).

2 hrs later I managed to clear all the sub and lock down my 3rd spot. I didn't really keep track of the second spot, but I think he finished it 45 mins earlier than me. The 4th place took another 20 mins after my clearance.

Though I narrowly missed out on 2nd placing I am still happy because TOP 5 was my initial target. The last cover will allow me to champ my x23 (finally!). Also happy that I got several usable 3* covers from the vault and also the LT!

Will I do it again? I don't know, it is really tiring to commit to 4-5 hrs clearing all the nodes. The good thing is that in the earlier subs I could spread out my clear. But the final sub was a mad rush and was extremely stressful.