Keeping 3*s relevant in the new 4*-5* world

2»

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Mawtful wrote:
    I don't agree that the 3* tier is complete in its current form. I'm not necessarily advocating for more 3* characters - although if that's what it takes, so be it - but rather that conceptually and mechanically, there's a lot missing at the 3* tier.
    I agree. I think that the OP's onto something; by making them more relevant in 4-star tier, they'd presumably be more relevant in their own tier as well.
    Pylgrim wrote:
    All the stuff in the OP and consequent posts
    Like Mawtful I'm skeptical of the need to keep 3s relevant. In fact I'd kind of rather like to see fewer 3's in 4-star PVP. Switch and Fist are such insane batteries that you'll even see them sandwiched between two 5's, sometimes. And IM40, jeez.

Still, I like some of the suggestions you have. IMO, not all of the characters need the improvements you mentioned, but here are the ones I can get behind most (and thoughts):

Cap: Yes! Speed him up! His powers are already very nice AP savers in the long run. Less damage for less AP on red would make the utility aspect shine (while doing just as much damage overall.) And a yellow active/passive that makes protects with passive AP gen? Sounds great.

Daken: Making more green sounds good; he would make more strikes and die faster when you're fighting him (both things I can get behind). Also offering cheap blue denial.

Doom: I think his black should be some kind of passive. Have him create passive Doombot countdowns based on how many black AP he has, or something. Make blue generate purple out of black. OK maybe I don't know what I think, just, something else would be interesting.

Falcon: In the beginning, Falcon buffed tiles by a percentage, but they changed it because people were under-leveling him so he wouldn't tank. Championing has mostly dealt with that exploit, so un-nerfing him to grant a percentage instead of a static value would be a good start. But how about he just buffs ALL special tiles by a small amount on a yellow (or how about blue) match? Then he would be much more of a draw at higher tiers where his low HP makes him all but useless.

Gamora: Her Black should just turn all Yellows into Strikes, without the number of tiles calculation. And it should cost maybe 8.

IM40: OK OK, going to Nerf yellow to only generate 2 green/tile, please... He'd still be broken good, but less broken broken.

Psylocke: Psy is just waiting for a Blue change like IM40's Yellow change to suddenly become viable. EFFECTIVELY stealing lots of AP, instead of MAYBE stealing SOME AP, would be fantastic. Once upon a time I suggested adding a Passive effect to this power that deals minor (100-200 range) damage per AP stolen... that way teaming with Hood or Blade or Wasp or anyone who steals AP would be really nice. I think lowering its cost considerably, while tempering its effect might be good enough. How about 6 AP?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    I personally really want them to smooth out Gamora (awful damage on green for AP spent, black is too expensive), Psylocke and especially Doc Oc who I still think can potentially be one of the funnest characters to use with tweaks to his black/green.

Problem is and always has been that this game's dev's do not care about revisiting older characters anymore, especially when it comes to our massive batch of 3*'s, they think it won't make them money so they just crank out 4* and 5*'s now.

Very rarely will they bother to make a certain character better let alone making our good ol 3* tier more relevant, it's easier for them to just put out the next new thing and rinse/repeat which is just the saddest damn thing about this game.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Psylocke: Psy is just waiting for a Blue change like IM40's Yellow change to suddenly become viable. EFFECTIVELY stealing lots of AP, instead of MAYBE stealing SOME AP, would be fantastic. Once upon a time I suggested adding a Passive effect to this power that deals minor (100-200 range) damage per AP stolen... that way teaming with Hood or Blade or Wasp or anyone who steals AP would be really nice. I think lowering its cost considerably, while tempering its effect might be good enough. How about 6 AP?

One change they could make to blue would be for it to steal AP when fired and on each turn the countdown was on board, have it steal from the highest ap pool each turn so you would always get something from it and not have everything being grabbed on previous turns.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:

One change they could make to blue would be for it to steal AP when fired and on each turn the countdown was on board, have it steal from the highest ap pool each turn so you would always get something from it and not have everything being grabbed on previous turns.

I really like this; it's simple, efficient, warrants a legitimate 5 blue build, is easily implemented and can still be defeated. Strong.
  • Norksman
    Norksman Posts: 42
    One of my main problems with Psylocke isn't even her blue, it's her red. Once you have 3 strike tiles out, it costs 5 ap and does 1131, compared to Gamora's red, which costs 5 ap and does 1719 damage. This would all be fine if it didn't stop putting out strikes. I really don't see an issue with there being no cap, as you need red ap to cast the skill and it creates red strikes.