Multi-part effects triggering

Options
HexStarDragon
HexStarDragon Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
Hello,

I scanned the topics quickly to look for duplicates, but there wasn't a list of common suggestions, so I apologize if this is a duplication.

I believe that cards, particularly those with multiple effects, should be cast-able, or should trigger even if one of the effects is not present.

For example, "Ondu Rising" states "Each of your creatures gains lifelink" so, I believe cards like this should be cast-able even when you control no creatures. This could be desirable in cases where you want to use the Awaken effect to put plains creatures on the board, or if you have another card that benefits from casting spells, such as Prism Ring. In contrast, a spell such as "Lithomancer's Focus" would need a creature on the board to be cast, because it requires a target - Ondu Rising has no such targeting.

Another example is Prism Array. The card text states that in response to a Landfall, "the first creature your opponent controls is Disabled until the beginning of your next turn and you Draw 3 cards." (emphasis added). If your opponent controls no creatures, a landfall should still trigger the card draw, or it should be reworded to something like, "the first creature your opponent controls is Disabled. If a creature is Disabled by this effect, Draw 3 cards."

Thanks for your time,

David

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Even if not specifically, this issue has been pointed out.
    Good to have a topic dedicated though.

Now the problem with this probably is the way they coded the game effects in the very beginning.
    This is the reason why cruel revival for instance cannot be cast if there are no zombies in GY.
    Also this is the reason why(probably) some area of effect do not hit hexproof creatures.
  • BigMao
    BigMao Posts: 117
    Options
    Yes, I agree that this is probably best addressed on a card-by-card basis. The text and code are probably written separately and that is why these issues sometimes appear. I am guessing it would be hard to automatically generate the code based on the card text, like a MtG programming language.

For Prism Array, I think it is so powerful as is, that I wouldn't mind if they fixed the text and kept the card behavior. Zada, Hedron Grinder is another card that could use a text fix, which was mentioned by a developer in another thread.

It would be nice if D3 endorsed or adopted a system like Decktester.com where we could keep track of issues on individual cards.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What I meant was not an automatic way to get cards effects in the game.
    That would need an insane amount of skill/time if even possible. So for a game makes no sense.

What I meant is the way they implemented effects in this game.
    Another obvious case of a "bad" choice is with death effects.
    When a creature dies it is somehow coded into "get damage equal to creature life". You can see it in game cause the creature right before dying gets the damage animation.
    This explains why effects that make a creature immune to damage make it also immune to death spells.

Back on our case, Probably something is wrong with the current card coding that forces the game to check for all condition to be true even if the card description does imply it.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another example is Prism Array. The card text states that in response to a Landfall, "the first creature your opponent controls is Disabled until the beginning of your next turn and you Draw 3 cards." (emphasis added). If your opponent controls no creatures, a landfall should still trigger the card draw, or it should be reworded to something like, "the first creature your opponent controls is Disabled. If a creature is Disabled by this effect, Draw 3 cards."

Prism Array is ludicrously powerful and does not need a buff. Personally I'd suggest changing the wording so you know that the current effect will happen like it does ('Landfall: Disable your opponent's first creature. if you do, draw 3 cards'). Or, better yet, just make Prism Array less powerful.