Mouse pointer/cursor is missing suddenly

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
I did a reinstall of Windows today on my new SSD and reinstalled MPQ ready for some grinding tonight.
Well, it's grinding time and I cannot play because the mouse cursor is missing. If I move around it highlights things like it's still there, I just can't see it. It's going to make playing the game somewhat difficult.

Steam version on Windows 10.

If you need any more info, please let me know. I feel sure I was able to see the pointer after installing it before and opening it to test out whether my profile automatically downloaded.

If I alt + Tab it seems to flick the cursor up on a black backgrund for a split second. It's odd that the game seems to take a little time to go back to the desktop now, almost like it's changing display modes. It's set to the right resolution though in the game.

[Edit] Got it back by changing the resolution to anything *other* than my monitor's native. Full Screen Windowed works as well...but I'd rather not do this since it screws up the display somewhat. Could still do with some suggestions =/

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay...it's fixed now.
    I'd rebooted before and it hadn't helped, but this time it did. I did change something though, I'd realised my display was set to Expand between two monitors. I changed it to PC Only. It's possible that fixed it.

Either way...it's working for now. Not going to close this just yet in case it comes back.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay...it's fixed now.
    I'd rebooted before and it hadn't helped, but this time it did. I did change something though, I'd realised my display was set to Expand between two monitors. I changed it to PC Only. It's possible that fixed it.

Either way...it's working for now. Not going to close this just yet in case it comes back.

If this is a hardware-accelerated skinned OS cursor, then the problem is usually flaky multi-monitor support in the display driver; Windows 8+ DPI scaling tossing a spanner in the works; or a combination of both.